Author Topic: Royal Russia: The Private Albums of the Russian Imperial Family - mistakes  (Read 12532 times)

Offline tom_romanov

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
has anyone else noticed a large number of mistakes in this book-espcially those naming the people in the photographs?

Offline Marie-Catherine

• Boyar
  • Just remember they were normal people, like us.
    • View Profile
    • My travel blog (French only)
I saw that. ost of the times, the autor mix-up Anastasia with Tatiana or Maria.

"Time flies by with a horrible quickness" -Maria

Thanks to the talentful FadedDreams for the banner !

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Yes, there are a great deal of mistakes with the photo captions in that book- the photo captions need to be taken with caution- this is mentioned in some threads about Royal Russia somewhere on here.

Offline sgc

• "Everyone can master a grief but he that has it."
    • View Profile
has anyone else noticed a large number of mistakes in this book-espcially those naming the people in the photographs?

Yes indeed! I bought the book with the caveat that there were a number of mistakes in the ID of photos. Fortunately, those gaffes didn't distract from my enjoyment of the photographs, although some of the errors were downright ridiculous. Two examples which immediately come to mind are one pic clearly of Anastasia that's mislabeled as Maria; while both girls were cute, it was certainly fairly easy to distinguish them from each other. Also: a few snapshots of officers in Russian military uniform are mistakenly identified as the tutor Pierre Gilliard, who was to the best of my knowledge a Swiss civilian.

Offline tom_romanov

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
i am so glad others have found the mistakes also. i was very annoyed so i worte to the publishers telling them where they went wrong and used evidence to back up my claims, but i never got a reply.....

Offline sgc

• "Everyone can master a grief but he that has it."
    • View Profile
i am so glad others have found the mistakes also. i was very annoyed so i worte to the publishers telling them where they went wrong and used evidence to back up my claims, but i never got a reply.....

Good for you! I do that a lot of times as long ago have had my fill of standards being eased in just about every aspect of the society we live in. The attitude is "Instead of raising the bridge, let's lower the river because it's easier....and besides, the public is too dumb to notice anyway."

Just FYI: my most recent crusade is against Major League Baseball and their website...but that's OT so won't bore everyone here with the gory details.

RomanovsFan4Ever

I read the book's profile in the Alexander Palace time machine book finder (http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/books.html?sku=41) and I'm thinking of buying this book, if we don't consider the various mistakes, this book deserves to be bought or not?...I really need an advice, please...

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
You see take a virtual preview of the book here:

Royal Russia video flip-through

The guest password (if necessary) is "romanov"

In spite of the errors, there are some nice photographs. IMO, the book is worth having, though I probably wouldn't pay over $20-25 for it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:57:16 PM by Sarushka »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

RomanovsFan4Ever

Thank you very much!, ok, I'm going to buy it, I found it on an Italian web site for sale in a very reasonable price.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
A list of the errors I've spotted:

pg 44: Maria (not Anastasia)
pg 46: a formal photo of Tatiana (not an informal of Anastasia)
pg 47: Anastasia really is smoking
pg 48 Voronov (not Gilliard)
pg 59: Anastasia is in the foreground only in the right-hand photo. Maria is in the foreground in the left
pg 62: Maria (not Olga) in the hat
pg 69: I'm not sure who the woman with Rasputin & Vyrubova is, but I don't think it's Irina Aleksandrovna
pg 72: The White Flower Festival photo is from 1914 (not 1912)
pg 80: Maria was 14 or 15 years old in 1914 (not 13)
pg 83: Olga (not Maria) and Tatiana
pg 87: Maria is at Peterhof (not Tsarskoe Selo)
pg 88: left to right - Tatiana, Maria, and Olga (not Olga, Maria and Tatiana)
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
Sorry for adding, but can you post or show that photo of Vyrubova with Rasputin?  I believe it can be Lily Dehn.  :-D
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
The book came out in 1997.  It is not a new book.  It is also out of print.  What did you expect from something from James Blair Lovell.

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile

It is L. Dehn.  I knew it must be that one.  ;-)
Who is the woman on the right?

It's Lili Dehn.

-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

RomanovsFan4Ever

I found another error right now on page 61: the photo labeled as The Grand Duchess Maria, probably in her mother's bedroom, actually she is Anastasia not Maria.