Author Topic: Royal Russia: The Private Albums of the Russian Imperial Family - mistakes  (Read 12678 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
I found another error right now on page 61: the photo labeled as The Grand Duchess Maria, probably in her mother's bedroom, actually she is Anastasia not Maria.

How interesting. Perhaps you have an earlier edition than I do. Mine is listed as a first US edition (January 1998) with the purple cover shown below, and that photo is captioned correctly. I wonder if other mistakes were corrected in later editions than mine?

THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

RomanovsFan4Ever

My cover:

This edition was released on March 1, 2007 (according to amazon).

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Russia: The Private Albums of the Russian Imperial Family - mistakes
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 07:09:25 AM »
A list of the errors I've spotted:

pg 44: Maria (not Anastasia)
pg 46: a formal photo of Tatiana (not an informal of Anastasia)
pg 47: Anastasia really is smoking
pg 48 Voronov (not Gilliard)
pg 59: Anastasia is in the foreground only in the right-hand photo. Maria is in the foreground in the left
pg 62: Maria (not Olga) in the hat
pg 69: I'm not sure who the woman with Rasputin & Vyrubova is, but I don't think it's Irina Aleksandrovna
pg 72: The White Flower Festival photo is from 1914 (not 1912)
pg 80: Maria was 14 or 15 years old in 1914 (not 13)
pg 83: Olga (not Maria) and Tatiana
pg 87: Maria is at Peterhof (not Tsarskoe Selo)
pg 88: left to right - Tatiana, Maria, and Olga (not Olga, Maria and Tatiana)

Another --
pg 82: In the photo labeled "A chat with the doctor" the man identified as Dr. Botkin is actually Alexander Alexandrovich Drenteln
(thanks to Nicola De Valeron for the correction)
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »
Oh in fact I had the impression that he wasn't Dr. Botkin but I had no idea who actually was...another correction to add to the errata corrige that I added to the book.
Thank you Sarushka and Nicola De Valeron!

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 01:56:52 AM »
It seems as though this book is still being printed & sold with all the mistakes as described. I bought my copy this year & you would have thought the publishers would have sorted this problem out by now, but no such luck.

It isn't so much the errors that bother me, we all make them. The book however does have some serious picture quality issues as well. I thought at first it was just my copy, but now I see this problem has also been mentioned by other posters on different threads.

Some mistakes are forgivable, but poor quality pictures in whats supposed to be a photo album are not. It all really spoils what could be a nice little book.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 07:45:23 AM »
Since some of the photos are reproduced with very good clarity, I suspect the quality issues lie in the original prints in the James Blair Lovell collection rather than the publishing process.

As for the errors, the publisher is probably largely unaware. Few readers bother to complain directly to the publisher about such errors, and those that do probably don't have the credentials to convince an editor that their knowledge supersedes the author's. Corrections to reprints are costly to make, and as far as I know the book hasn't been reprinted since 2007 anyway.

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 02:54:39 AM »
has anyone else noticed a large number of mistakes in this book-espcially those naming the people in the photographs?
The first glaring mistake I noticed was in the title: Royal Russia? Doesn't the author know that Russia was an empire and thus imperial? Was he translating царская Россия? Or, more likely, is he one of those annoying people, many of whom are found in the media, who use terms like "the Russian royal family". Anyone else who gets terribly irritated by this constant undermining of the IF's uniqueness?

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 04:33:50 AM »
has anyone else noticed a large number of mistakes in this book-espcially those naming the people in the photographs?
The first glaring mistake I noticed was in the title: Royal Russia? Doesn't the author know that Russia was an empire and thus imperial? Was he translating царская Россия? Or, more likely, is he one of those annoying people, many of whom are found in the media, who use terms like "the Russian royal family". Anyone else who gets terribly irritated by this constant undermining of the IF's uniqueness?

Excellent comment Naslednik Norvezhskiy!

Obviously the person who came up with the title of that book lacked any knowledge about the definition: Русская Империя and was unfamiliar with Peter the Great's contribution.

Unfortunately these type of misinterpretations prevail in numerous English language books that discuss Russian issues.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 08:33:37 AM »
Hi,

Not only is there a lack of knowledgeable royal historians writing books now-a-days, but there doesn't seem to be any "proof readers" catching spelling and date mistakes.

I once read, many years ago, that Queen Victoria came to the throne in 1037 and celebrated her Diamond Jubilee in 1987....
She's the only character in history to have lived 9 centuries    ???  - - and she still looked good!!!!   ;)

Larry

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 06:56:41 AM »
I know this is an old topic but I got my own copy of Royal Russia: The Private Albums of the Russian Imperial Family, I believe it is published in 1995 and yes there is so many captions that is littered with mistakes.   My favourite is on Nicholas and Alexandra with baby Olga and it is captioned "The coronation took place in 1886."   I almost laughed my head off at it.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
I remember my reaction to looking at Royal Russia was quite favorable, but that was some time ago, early on in my Romanovphilia.I think I was just too over-grateful to see so many great photos of the IF and company at that time.Oddly, I think I'd still enjoy checking it out today, in spite of (while enjoying also picking out?)its numerous errors.

Sort of like playing "What is wrong with this picture?"
Rodney G.