Author Topic: Gleb Botkin's "Lost Tales"  (Read 10671 times)

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Gleb Botkin's "Lost Tales"
« on: March 26, 2004, 12:56:46 PM »
I am considering purchasing Gleb Botkin's Lost Tales: Stories for the Tsar's Children, not for a child, but for myself to have as a historical document, as I have read that it includes the series of stories and illustrations that Gleb created for the Tsar's children during their captivity. On Amazon.com it says that this book only has 12 pages - is that right? I thought it would have included more but I suppose perhaps Gleb was only able to create a very limited number of stories and drawings. Does anyone here own this book and can recommend it, or provide a little bit of historical background on Gleb's material?

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Gleb Botkin's "Lost Tales"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 01:59:40 PM »
Hello Sarai:
The book has more or les 90 pages and it was Greg who wrote the foreword. I think this book is a touching document...

Janet Whitcomb

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 02:16:43 PM »
I took a look at the book when it was first published and meant to purchase it but unfortunately did not. As Antonio mentions, it is considerably more than 12 pages and features many vividly colored illustrations.  Some of the material might be a bit questionable by today's sensibilities, but of course these were drawings created almost 100 years ago by a young teenage boy, with the objective of amusing his family and friends, the latter of which included OTMAA. Once you look at them you will see that Gleb Botkin possessed considerable talent!  

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 02:38:55 PM »
Thanks for the information. I am glad that the book contains more than 12 pages, even though I would have bought it anyway even if it truly did. I wonder why Amazon states that it has only 12 pages - is it a mistake or do they have some kind of different version of the book (see link below)?

Janet, if you are still interested in purchasing the book they have some used copies in good condition available for sale for as low as $4.50 at Amazon.com at this link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679451420/102-8583445-7096106?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=IQVM64MXFFRT3&colid=11BW9EP0M2122

Janet Whitcomb

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 04:58:30 PM »
Thank you, Sarai! I will check it out.

Offline CarolynnB

• I love Russian history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 07:24:25 PM »
Dear Janet,

I have a copy of the book on my shelves.  It has, in fact, about 100 pages (they are not all numbered, the numbering stops on page 86, but 100 is pretty close estimate).  Perhaps Amazon made a mis-type from 112 pages?

I would not hesitate about purchasing the book, especially if you can find it used, as Sarai suggested.  Almost half of the book is made up of nice quality reproductions of Gleb Botkin's paintings, each of which is given a full page.  The book includes, as Antonio explained, a foreward by Greg King which features black and white photos of the family and the Botkins.  There are also acknowledgements and an introduction by Maria Botkin Schweitzer.  The text contains three stories, along with some of Gleb's other pictures.  Hope that this helps!

Carolynn

Janet Whitcomb

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 12:29:43 PM »
Carolynn, thank you! I think Sarai will be purchasing it, as will I . . . it will be nice to learn something more about the Botkin family, as well as enjoying Gleb's artistic talent!

NAAOTMA

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 01:17:03 AM »
I bought this book several years ago, and it has become a favorite of mine. Melissa K.

Offline Genevieve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 01:18:13 PM »
Do you know if it is in English or Russian?

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 02:02:15 PM »
I got mine at the library. English.

Offline Alexa

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 04:56:48 PM »
When one remembers that the stories were read and enjoyed by the Tsar's children, it's so overwhelming. The book is so unique in this way.

That's exactly why I bought it when it first came out.  I remember going into the book store and vowing I wouldn't buy anything (yeah, right).  I came out with Lost Tales, and have never regretted going back on my vow.

Alexa

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 09:32:59 PM »
I did as Sari suggested and went over to amazon and looked at the various books available.  I found Lost Tales for nine  dollars.  I received it last Thursday.  About a half hour ago,  I opened up the book, looked through it and found the drawings interesting.  Read a little of the introduction by King.  Phone rang.  Picked it up and the pages flipped by themselves to the title page.  As I was talking I glanced back at the book and the title page.  Much to my suprise it appears to be signed my Marina Botkin Schweitzer "to Anne and Bob--  Merry Christmas 1996".

A very nice find.  ;D

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

rskkiya

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2004, 03:21:11 PM »
Congratulations on this bit of history. :)

R.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 01:25:23 PM »
My pleasure  ;D

After I read the stories,  I think there will be a lot of questions about how the "children" saw the world as these stories were drawn and see if any of you had/have the same reactions.  And, too,  gain some insight from those of you who always have great information to add.

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 02:10:50 PM »
Uhm i'm a bit late, LOL

My pleasure  ;D

After I read the stories,  I think there will be a lot of questions about how the "children" saw the world as these stories were drawn and see if any of you had/have the same reactions.  And, too,  gain some insight from those of you who always have great information to add.

AGRBear

I've so many questions you couldn't even imagine, LOL. Sometimes i find difficult to understand who are the good ones and who the evli ones  :o maybe because english is not my mothertongue? Uh. Of course i've your reaction, Bear, and i was peeking through this thread because i was looking for answers...
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally