Author Topic: Kaiser Wilhelm II  (Read 227038 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiser Wilhelm II
« Reply #480 on: January 06, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »
Yes. He had to face a lot, however he is not humble enough to admit it by blowing up his ego even greater. He never really trusts people. His moods change from friedliness to nastiness in a quick of a wink. That is why he was called "William the sudden" by his Hesse cousins. That is what I mean unbalanced, not that he was demented.

Offline Pezzazz

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 06, 2011, 10:59:24 AM »
I've just started to read this thread from the beginning -- over 5 years ago -- many great posts!

Awhile back -- and unfortunately I can't remember the book, but the midwife at William's birth and his childhood nurse wrote that the birth problem was much greater than a withered arm -- his entire side was affected and he almost died at birth.  If this is so then I have to admire Wilhelm II for his valiant efforts to compensate and carry on despite what was a serious physical handicap.  

It's curious that Wilhelm told people his arm was injured by a fall from a horse when he was a toddler?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:22:07 AM by Svetabel »
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #482 on: January 06, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »
Here s the image in larger and without watermark

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 06, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »
Curious how fast they fall out once they achieve what they wanted with Wilhelm's parents.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 06, 2011, 02:49:09 PM »
I've just started to read this thread from the beginning -- over 5 years ago -- many great posts!

Awhile back -- and unfortunately I can't remember the book, but the midwife at William's birth and his childhood nurse wrote that the birth problem was much greater than a withered arm -- his entire side was affected and he almost died at birth.  If this is so then I have to admire Wilhelm II for his valiant efforts to compensate and carry on despite what was a serious physical handicap.  

Here's a photo of Wilhelm with Bismarck and it almost looks like he is on crutches -- or his body shows the tell tale twist of a cripple.  

That is a standard gentleman's cane and his sword. He is not a twisted cripple.
HerrKaiser

Offline Pezzazz

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 06, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
Thank you Katenka -- nicer photos you supply as usual.

Curious how fast they fall out once they achieve what they wanted with Wilhelm's parents.

You mean his father's death which sidelined his mother?   Perhaps Wilhelm realized that was not exactly what he had in mind.   It's ironic that after Bismarck was dismissed, he accused Wilhelm II of being too liberal.  Imagine that haha!  It's certainly not what Bismarck had in mind.

That is a standard gentleman's cane and his sword. He is not a twisted cripple.

He still looks a little uncomfortable physically it seems?  I keep thinking of that saddle like chair he needed to maintain his balance when seated at his desk.  

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 07, 2011, 04:12:10 AM »
Wilhelm is certainly leaning hard on the stick in that picture and looks uncomfortable, but maybe it is simply being with Bismarck!

I have seen Wilhelm's saddle seat at Doorn, and it is a perfectly ordinary saddle with the flaps and side padding taken off, and set at such a level that he would have his feet flat on the floor. I don't ithink it was so much an aid to balance as a Hohenzollern tradition (Prussian kings sat on saddles rather than wimpy chairs!)

Ann

Offline Pezzazz

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:27 AM »
Yes, Kalafrana, it might have been due to Bismarck, or his attack dog haha!

I'm convinced it was Bismarck who destroyed the reputation of Crown Prince Rudolph so now I'm wondering what kind of mischief he did against Wilhelm II who dismissed him about a year after Rudolph's death.   

Bismarck was a master at influence and slander and he certainly had Wilhelm II in his sights.   Wasn't it Bismarck who started the gay whispers against Wilhelm II?  That's a sticky rumor to attempt to deny.

Another problem with Bismarck, is how much residual resentment did he leave for William to face alone?   For example, here's an earlier post by grandduchessella and what was attributed to Wilhelm II was almost the same thing found in the memoirs of Bismarck himself in "Reflections and Reminiscences".  From this I have to doubt the authenticity of the below letter as actually coming from Wilhelm II.

This is the kind of thing that led to perceptions of the 'bloodthirsty Huns'

Officially published by the French government in 1919 the letter extract clearly implied that the Kaiser advocated and approved of use of terror by German troops who passed through northern France.

The authenticity of the letter has not however been proven.

Kaiser Wilhelm II to Emperor Franz-Josef I on the Subject of German Rule in Northern France, 1914

My soul is torn asunder, but everything must be put to fire and blood.  The throats of men and women, children and the aged must be cut and not a tree nor a house left standing.With such methods of terror, which alone can strike so degenerate a people as the French, the war will finish before two months, while if I use humanitarian methods it may be prolonged for years.
Despite all my repugnance I have had to choose the first system.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 07, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »
Yes. Willy told people that he sacked Bismark because of his treatment of his mother.

Offline Pezzazz

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 07, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
You don't believe that?

It must have been due to something quite severe but from sometime back since Bismarck seemed quite mystified as to why. 

Too bad -- if they'd stuck with each other, they'd have made an unbeatable team.

Here's another of Kaiser Sad Eyes:

Offline Pezzazz

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 07, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
Another viewpoint on who the real warmonger was -- but clearly there has been some historical reevaluation on this point of view since WWI:

The British and Entente demonization of Wilhelm as the world's chief warmonger was always absurd. Wilhelm felt inferior to British royalty. Wilhelm's greatest secret desire was for acceptance by the British royals. Edward VII could modulate his own behavior to get the desired result from the Kaiser. If he wanted a public tantrum, he could get that. One British writer, Legge, reports that Edward punched the Kaiser and knocked him down in a meeting.

http://www.abjpress.com/tarpb5.html

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 08, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »
a good book that places a revised view on Wilhelm with complete credibility is The Pity of War.

Another, King Kaiser & Tsar, points out how the British royal family, particularly Q Alexandra schemed and plotted like high schoolers to denegrate and defame Wilhelm, unfairly, which substantially fed the propaganda machine that led to WWI.
HerrKaiser

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 08, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »
http://www.abjpress.com/tarpb5.html

Having now read this, I'm not inclined to take these claims very seriously.

Ann

Offline Pezzazz

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 08, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »

Another, King Kaiser & Tsar, points out how the British royal family, particularly Q Alexandra schemed and plotted like high schoolers to denegrate and defame Wilhelm, unfairly, which substantially fed the propaganda machine that led to WWI.

I thought Q Alexandra and her sister were sacred -- no such talk allowed lol.  Nonetheless, I got a similar impression when reading "Edward VII, the Last Victorian King" by Hibbert in which Q Alexandra was described as quite petty and mean.  There are other indications of a rather mean-spirited attitude in the wife and children of Edward VII, although he himself was usually described as the epitome of kindness. 

Unfortunately, I find myself partial to not only Edward VII, but also to Wilhelm II as well as Prince Bismarck and Crown Prince Rudolph, so I guess that puts me somewhere in the middle. 

Perhaps another source for Bertie's angst against the Kaiser came from Alice Keppel as explained in "Secrets of the Hohenzollerns".   Sometimes it seemed William could be a little short on the tactful side, and he insulted Keppel too much once too often.  The same with Rasputin which followed economic sanctions against Germany by Russia.   

Having now read this, I'm not inclined to take these claims very seriously.

It's nice to know someone had the patience to read the entire thing.   ♪♫*♫♪   I must admit I have not. 

But who can blame Edward VII if he found it necessary to put a series of alliances in place to protect his country?  The author could call him all sorts of names for this, but Edward VII was doing what he thought necessary.   At the same time, it seems his uncle had little real understanding of Wilhelm II, and probably exaggerated in his own mind the dangers of Germany.  It's also unfortunate the above author found it necessary to use a few too many unsavory and inaccurate personal labels. 

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 08, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »

Perhaps another source for Bertie's angst against the Kaiser came from Alice Keppel as explained in "Secrets of the Hohenzollerns".   Sometimes it seemed William could be a little short on the tactful side, and he insulted Keppel too much once too often.  

A primary rule is not to insult one's mistress, lest one pay's a very high price.  ;)
HerrKaiser