Author Topic: Virtual Tour of the Alexander Palace -- SIMS  (Read 12062 times)

Offline Luke

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Virtual Tour of the Alexander Palace -- SIMS
« on: December 09, 2004, 10:06:34 PM »
Well, it had to happen sooner or later...a Sims recreation of the Alexander Palace where you can tour room by room.  

http://historichouses.simshost.com/page56.htm#

(don't think this has been posted before)

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Tour of the Alexander Palace -- SIMS
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 12:44:05 AM »
I have chacked this out....it is not very accurate...rather disappointing

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 12:46:07 AM »
IT's rather hard when it's a computer game to get that accurate, though I'd try in Sims 2 to make the AP...but there's not enough furniture, etc.  Gotta wait til people can do that sort of thing!

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 01:09:38 AM »
I agree in terms of accuracy, or lack thereof in this case, but it is hard to reproduce something like that on a computer, and for a game no less.  However, for entertainment it's not a badly done deal.

Dasha
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 01:59:30 AM »
Check out the drawings I did on the computer they were done with simple MS PAINT and a lot of research. It can be done is someone wishes to be accurate. But the simm also lacks the flavor or essence of a Russian home. Its been a while since I have been there but I do not recall seeing a single Icon or even an Imperial Portrait. And what is it with the fountain????

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 06:25:46 PM »
I have made my own AP with the Sims (but not the one mentioned above) and it's my pride and joy. I started it about a year ago, but haven't really finished because I couldn't find just the right furniture, wallpaper, etc. and I'm not cool enough to make my own, though I did make the wallpapers for O&T's and M&A's bedrooms. For me, it's an obsession. Actually, one would think it'd be easy to make it realistic, but the lot size of the Sims is set, and the largest lot is entirely too small to make the entire AP, room for room, on one lot. The rooms end up being so cramped so it loses something in that itself.

What I did was have only one suite of rooms per wing with a hallway along one wall. Alexandra's rooms (except the Maple Room) are on the first level of the IF's wing, with the children's rooms upstairs. In the right wing, I fit the Maple Room and the New Study along with Nicholas' bathroom and reception room with the mezzanine above. I kept the Semi-Circular Hall & the Billiards Hall & Palace Chapel were rearranged to be part of the Parade rooms. Above these were the playroom, kitchen, and dining room. (I know, these weren't here in real life, but my Olga Nicholaievna's gotta eat too!). My intention was to keep the most important rooms to the IF while creating comfort for my ON who by the way, LOVES it there!

Unfortunately, I had to reinstall my Sims, so I lost the house (forgot to save them), but when I get it back up again, it's the first thing I'll do. I have a few pictures I could post, but I just need to find a site to put them on.

londo, I have seen your renditions and I love them! I hope to see more of them soon!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 07:08:42 PM »
I've been pondering creating an AP in Sims 2 but it'd be hard since there are no objects that would create the 'ambience' like the stuff in Sims 1.  Alas!

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 05:18:17 PM »
Lanie, I agree with you. I don't have Sims 2 yet, just because of the fact that there isn't much of an emphasis on creating objects and build items. But, there are some people who have started to recolor furniture, so there is hope.

Offline Alice

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 07:36:57 PM »
I tried to make Alexander Palace in Rollercoaster Tycoon. Didn't work very well.  :D

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 10:57:07 PM »
Being a HUGE sims fan since the beginning, I too made some Romanov palaces, not the one listed. This one was made in Sims1. However, Since I've bought Sims2, there are SO much more possibilities. Knowing the history of the sims, there will be customized objects, or else it would loose over half it's players. It's just a matter of time. There is - of course ::) - Expansions. The next Sims2 Expansion is Sims2 University, which is great since I just got into University, lol

Great to see some Sim fans out there too!

Offline Evanescence

• View Profile
    • Limited Eternity
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 10:42:46 AM »
I have Sims 2 as well and though the building takes more time its worth it! I've already created towers and palaces. I've never tried re-creating a real palace yet but maybe when there's more time, I'll try.
Ashlee Simpson lip synching at SNL? Damn, that liar!

Offline Elizabeth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 01:15:41 PM »
I just accessed the link -- thanks, Luke -- but it makes the rooms looks teeny, tiny.  Is it just the way they laid it out on the computer (not being a Sims fan, I'm sort of ignorant abou those things) or are the rooms really like that?  

I know it's not accurate -- for accuracy's sake -- but my computer makes it look like each room is the size of a walk-in closet.

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 08:42:14 PM »
Were four-poster beds used in Russia back then?
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 12:14:42 PM »
Well, I found the pics and put them on Photo Bucket. I only have a few of the more famous rooms up. A fair warning, there isn't a lot of decoration simply because I haven't found the right stuff yet. And some of the rooms are out of order (on purpose). I got furniture and walls as close as I could find, though it's not accurate.

I'll put more up later.

http://photobucket.com/  and where it says to go to album, type in nerdycool.

Elizabeth, no the rooms aren't really like that. In oder to make all the rooms fit, the creator had to squish things. The rooms in real life are quite roomy.

RomanovFan, yes, 4-poster beds were used in Russia back then. The bed is actually used centuries before then... usually with drapes that could be pulled to keep out the cold. Now whether they used them in the palaces, I don't know. All I know is that the Grand Duchesses didn't use them and N & A didn't use one (though I did use some in my Imperial Bedroom).

Offline Elizabeth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 10:05:34 PM »
Thanks, nerdycool, for the link to your photobucket site.

I have to catch my breath when I see colorized versions of the rooms and the family (even if it is not 100% accurate).  It gives breath and life to everything and puts "real" faces and places behind the B&W pics.  

On sort of a different topic (but same mindset), the first time I saw a colored portrait of Nicholas was in St. Petersburg (Florida!) last year at an exhibition at the Florida International Museum.  Will have to "dig up" my catalog, but it was life-sized -- the one with him standing in his military (corporal's) uniform (I believe it was painted shortly after his coronation).  Anyway, it gave me the chills because I had always seen him in B&W (and of course knowing the history of everything that would happen later).  He looked very handsome -- and innocent.