Author Topic: A Family Album: Photographs and Letters 100 Years Ago  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
A Family Album: Photographs and Letters 100 Years Ago
« on: September 17, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »
Has anyone else been privileged enough to see this wonderful book of prerevolutionary photos and letters? It is entitled, A Family Album: Photographs and Letters One Hundred Years Ago (in Russian, "Semeinyi al'bom: Fotografii i pis'ma 100 let nazad") from the collection of Elena Lavrent'eva (Moscow: Belyi Gorod, 2005). My husband brought it back for me from his most recent trip to Russia and I was all but overcome by the sheer beauty of it. It is a collection of photographs of Russian families, taken during the turn of the 19th-20th centuries, some of them noble families, many, even most of them not (just honest bourgeoisie) accompanied by reproductions of their personal letters to each other, including love letters. It was an interesting fact of late 19th, early 20th century photographic culture that anyone could have a postcard made of their personal photograph. So hundreds, even thousands of these pre-revolutionary postcards still exist in Russia, but it took one woman to collect them and give them a literary home.

IMHO, this book is worth acquiring, even if you don't know Russian (unfortunately all the text in this book is exclusively in Russian). The photographs alone speak volumes. You can practically pick out entire family histories from these forelorn tokens of a bygone age.
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: A Family Album: Photographs and Letters 100 Years Ago
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »
Elisabeth, do you have an ISBN?
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
Re: A Family Album: Photographs and Letters 100 Years Ago
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »
Hey Sarushka!
Here is some info:

Semeinyi al'bom. Fotografii i pis'ma 100 let nazad
E. Lavrentieva (Lavrent'eva)
SERIA: Books on the history and culture