Author Topic: Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna-elder, wife of GD Wladimir  (Read 226253 times)

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna-elder, wife of GD Wladimir
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2005, 02:56:46 PM »
It was Princess Abamalek's who left it to Paul who gave it to his wife Olga and now it belongs to their son and daughter-in-law. It's the same tiara just referred to by different names.

y'know, gdssella, without having to look it up, i'll trust your instincts & info over mine, any day.    and as i've said before, i really should start verifying my info before i post --- or just post photos.

in this instance, my only defense is that my source was erroneous, it seems.    

in the diana scarisbrick book TIARA, the photo i posted is referred to (on pages 102 & 103) as
THE GRAND DUCHESS VLADIMIR'S TIARA, c.1870  RUSSIAN gold, silver and diamonds -- PRIVATE COLLECTION        she never mentions the princess Paul, but i recognized it from her photos.    

what really frustrates me is that I KNEW what y'all were saying was correct as soon as i read your posts.   i've got both of Goeffrey Munn's books TIARAS: A HISTORY OF SPLENDOUR and the smaller TIARAS: PAST AND PRESENT, as well as the "retrospective/biography" of Chaumet TIMELESS TIARAS, and several other sources that would have confirmed your info & reminded me that i already knew it.    but i didn't check.    i didn't double-check my "facts".     that habit has gotten alot of people into alot of trouble alot of times during the course of history......i should remember that :-[

i know i've said this before, but i'm definately, seriously thinking that
i should probably just stick to photos, & leave their captions to y'all. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by brnbg »
"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2005, 03:08:28 PM »
in Munn's book TIARAS: PAST AND PRESENT, he mentions (on page 56, in the inset), that the diamond necklace that runs along the bottom of the princess Paul's tiara was a later additon, added by princess Paul.    perhaps (i know it's a long-shot) but perhaps, that necklace came to her from MP through her mother?    and that's where the confusion started?

any thoughts?

-- anonymous

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2005, 03:26:36 PM »
y'know, gdssella, without having to look it up, i'll trust your instincts & info over mine, any day.    and as i've said before, i really should start verifying my info before i post --- or just post photos.in this instance, my only defense is that my source was erroneous, it seems.    in the diana scarisbrick book TIARA, the photo i posted is referred to (on pages 102 & 103) as THE GRAND DUCHESS VLADIMIR'S TIARA, c.1870  RUSSIAN gold, silver and diamonds -- PRIVATE COLLECTION        she never mentions the princess Paul, but i recognized it from her photos.  what really frustrates me is that I KNEW what y'all were saying was correct as soon as i read your posts.   i've got both of Goeffrey Munn's books TIARAS: A HISTORY OF SPLENDOUR and the smaller TIARAS: PAST AND PRESENT, as well as the  "retrospective/biography" of Chaumet TIMELESS TIARAS, and several other sources that would have confirmed your info & reminded me that i already knew it.    but i didn't check.    i didn't double-check my "facts".     that habit has gotten alot of people into alot of trouble alot of times during the course of history......i should remember that :-[ i know i've said this before, but i'm definately, seriously thinking that
i should probably just stick to photos, & leave their captions to y'all. :)

Don't worry about it--I've had to correct more posts of my own then I'd like to admit.  :-/ (And I"ve had some real howlers!) Though if you keep supplying great photos--I'll be more than glad to take a crack at captions.  :) You have the more difficult job of the 2.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Mia

• Boyar
  • 'Princess of Genovia'
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2005, 02:07:39 AM »
Warning, off-topic. ;)
I also heard that yellow diamonds are more valuable than white ones...True?

Hi Marc. There are so many but's in gemmology and the pricing of a diamond. But in today's world fancy-coloured stones are in average more valuable than good, white stones with the exception of some yellows which are approximately in the same price level and most of the brownish stones which are below the prices of whites. The brown ones can be called commercially with names like cognac or champagne, it makes them sound more beutiful.

The intensity of the colour in fancy diamonds is very big factor for the price. The more intense the colour the more expensive the stone is. Also the right hue is important. Peachy pink colours for example aren't as expensive than the pure or purplish pink.

But there are many different hues in white diamonds too.  Some are slightly tinted yellowish or brownish perhaps. This lowers quickly the price of the stone. And you have to also take account the clarity, impurities in the diamond and also the quality of cut. And then again, a larger D-colour Flawless diamond is a rarity and therefore very expensive.
Errors, like straw, upon the surface flow,
He who would search for pearls,
must dive below.
John Dryden

Offline thijs

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2005, 07:48:59 AM »
Does anyone knows by any chance something about her relationship with her (half) brother henry (heinrich of mecklenburg schwerin) who was maried to the Dutch queen Wilhelmina?

It seems so srange to me that I cannot find any info about their contacts.

:)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2005, 09:11:29 AM »
Miechen with her sons,Boris and Kirill

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2005, 09:14:33 AM »
Quite an interesting photo as here we can see 2 families: family of GD Pavel (his wife Olga Paley and children) ad the Vladimirovithci

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2005, 10:54:23 AM »
Does anyone knows by any chance something about her relationship with her (half) brother henry (heinrich of mecklenburg schwerin) who was maried to the Dutch queen Wilhelmina?

It seems so srange to me that I cannot find any info about their contacts.

:)

I haven't found too much since there aren't books on Henry or Miechen (who definitely deserves a bio IMO) to look up information. I do know that they seem close--maybe not as close as some siblings because there was a large age difference--but not estranged. Vladimir was at Henry's wedding (seen in a photo) but I don't know about Miechen. I would presume she was unless there was something preventing her--it wasn't because of any family difficulty or Vladimir wouldn't be there.

Offline pablo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2005, 07:39:06 PM »

grandduchessella,

Thanks for the pictures.Who is the man beside Cyril?

Regards.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2005, 08:32:13 PM »
Hi--we have Sveta to thank for the great pictures. Wish I could take credit.  :)  I don't know who the man might be next to Kyril.  ???  He's awfully tall. Could he be one of her Schwerin relatives?

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2005, 10:18:11 PM »

grandduchessella,

Thanks for the pictures.Who is the man beside Cyril?

Regards.

isn't it Pavl?

-- anonymous

Offline Dmitry2

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2005, 11:27:40 PM »
The sapphire aigrette on page 2 did not belong to Maria Pavlovna.  It is part of a suite called "the fountain suite" and ther are a pair of earrings as well.  There were part of the Imperial Treasury and, to the best of my knowledge, are still in the Diamond Fund.
For what has gone before and never will again...

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2005, 01:37:44 AM »
Is there also a picture of Maria P and her half-brother prince Heinrich (consort of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands).

I heard that his last visit at his sisther was in august 1914 (sic). She is mentioned by Victoria F or by her sisther the Queen of Romenia in a letter, that the "fat brother of aunt Miechen", stayed with his sisther.

It intrests me, because prince Heinrich also met Rasputin at the same time, introduced by Nicholas 11.

Offline Jackswife

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2005, 08:46:38 AM »
 I love this thread! ;D Miechen is one of my favorite Romanov ladies:  she was the ultimate diva and was born to wear jewels like these fabulous creations. She was pushy and demanding, yes, but she was also smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall as the Revolution approached (and she knew *exactly* what the ascendance of Rasputin meant to the Imperial Family as well). She was pretty outspoken and that is a quality I admire. I appreciate these wonderful pictures.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2005, 03:11:53 PM »
I don't know how much I would've liked Miechen but she sure is an interesting personality. I wish there was more known about her as so much seems to come from the N&A perspective which, needless to say, wasn't positive. Along with the Constantinovichi I would love to see a bio on her. Thank God for Romanov Autumn which focuses on the lesser knowns.