Author Topic: Death of Michael Andreivich Romanov (1920 - 2008)  (Read 13617 times)

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Death of Michael Andreivich Romanov (1920 - 2008)
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:53:06 AM »
Reported by Ilias of John on a different thread. He was the elder son of HH Prince Andrei Mikhailovich, who was the eldest son of Xenia Alexandrovna and Alexander Mikhailovich. He lived the later part of his life in Austrailia. By all reports, he was a fine gentleman.

Among his surivors are his brother Andrei Andreivich of Inverness, California, USA.

He was third in line in the RFA, which is now as follows:

1. Nicholas Romanovich (b. 1922)
2. Dmitri Romanovich (b. 1926)
3. Andrei Andreivich (b. 1923)
4. Alexis Andreivich (b. 1953)
5. Peter Andreivich (b. 1961)
6. Andrew Andreivich (b.1963)
7. Michael Feodorovich (b. 1924)
8. Rostislav Rostislavovich (b.1985)
9. Nikita Rostislavovich (b.1987)
10. Nicholas Nicholievich (b.1968)
11. Daniel Nicholievich (b. 1972)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:28:02 PM by LisaDavidson »

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Michael Andreivich Romanov
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »
Perhaps we should all light a candle tonight in respect of this member of the Imperial Family.

Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Michael Andreivich Romanov (1920 - 2008)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 04:55:52 AM »
I have just been informed that the funeral will now be held on Tuesday. There will be two services, one at St.Vladimirs the Russian Orthdox Cathedral, and one at St.James', the oldest Anglican Church in Sydney.

Officiating at both services, will be Metropolitan Hilarion and Bishop Richard Herbert, the Anglican Bishop of Bathurst.
The extra days delay is to ensure that people have enough time to arrive from all over Australia, and perhaps even the world.
I am unsure if his brother will be attending.
I will be.
May God rest his soul, he was one of nature's true Gentlemen.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:07:20 AM by Ilias_of_John »
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.
1 Peter 2:17

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 05:10:58 AM »
I am sure I speak for many when I say please pass our condolences onto his family at this sad time.

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 04:56:28 AM »
Thank you I will.
There are many who did not know of the existence of this exalted forum.
One of those was the late Prince. I can tell you we had conversations regarding it. And he was interested in all our posts, thoughts and comments.
 I will convey all your wishes to the Princess, his stepson, and any family that flies in.

An email I just received.....
"The Australian Monarchist League deeply regrets the passing of HH Prince
Michael Andreevich Romanov.  Prince Michael was a staunch supporter of AML
and a dedicated constitutional monarchist.   The AML was extremely fortunate
to have had him as a guest of honour at a number of its various functions.
He was a charming man who would go out of his way to meet each of our guests
and give unstintingly of his time and effort.  He was particularly  close to
Bryan Stertern-Gill, AML's Victorian Chairman, and often talked to him at
length about his grandmother, the Grand Duchess Xenia, sister of the last
Tsar, Uncle George and Aunt Mary (King George V and Queen Mary), and his
loved Aunt Toria (the Princess Victoria).  Many of us were privileged to
share in these snippets of an age now gone and he was certainly the closest
living link with Imperial Russia.  Indeed a true Christian gentleman, who
will be sadly missed by all who had the privilege of meeting him.

Paul Webster
National Secretary
Australian Monarchist League.
end of email.

Tuesday will be a very sad yet interesting day, as I am led to believe that the pomp and ceremony will be at their highest levels.
Even though he was purposefully a very private man, he was well known throughout the community, and he had very many friends, not just because of his Royal rank, but because of his warm and caring personality.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:10:48 AM by Ilias_of_John »
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:38:25 PM »
I was very sorry to hear of the death of Prince Michael Andreivich Romanov. Ilias of John, I send my sincere condolences to you and the family of Prince Michael. Is there a published obituary for the Prince? I tried searching the internet, but was unable to locate one.

Offline Netty

• View Profile
    • Netty's Royalty Page
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 07:02:46 AM »
Ilias of John, this announcement mentions 22 September as date of death? Is that correct?

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f80/grand-duchesses-xenia-and-olga-sisters-of-nicholas-ii-3744-3.html

From the Sydney Morning Herald, 25 September 2008

Death Notice

ROMANOFF, Prince Michael Andreevich

September 22, 2008, late of Double Bay [Sydney]. Darling husband of Giulia.
Loved stepfather to Daniel, sister-in-law Sue and her family.
Dear brother of Andrew and Olga. Aged 88 years.

Relatives, friends and members of the Sovereign Order of St John of Jerusalem
are invited to attend the funeral service of Prince Michael to be held at the
Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul, Strathfield [Sydney] on Tuesday September 30 2008.

Following on, the cortege will leave for a Thanksgiving Service to be held at St James Church, Sydney at 1.30pm.
(Members of the Order: mantles and collarets to be worn).

On conclusion the cortege will proceed for the Interment at Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park at Botany.

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 07:16:42 AM »
Yes it is,

He passed away Monday morning at 0205hrs Monday, Princess Gulia was called about 0130hrs and quickly rushed in. She had only left at 2130hours after having been there all day.

A very good obituary,
Written by Professor David Flint AM     
Monday, 22 September 2008 
HH Prince Michael Andreevich Romanov of Russia, who lived in Sydney, passed away on Sunday, 21 September, 2008.

Prince Michael served in the Royal Navy in the Second World War, including a period in Australia with the Fleet Air Arm.

On the conclusion of the war he settled permanently in Australia and became an aviation engineer. A member of the Russian Imperial Family, and Vice President of the Romanov Family Association, Prince Michael was born on the 15th of July, 1920 in Versailles.

The second child and eldest son of Prince Andrei Alexandrovich of Russia and Donna Elisabetha Ruffo, he was the  grandson of Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich and Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna of Russia and a great nephew of Nicholas II, the last Emperor of Russia.

Prince Michael lived with his parents and his grandmother Grand Duchess Xenia in exile at Frogmore Cottage on the grounds of Windsor Castle and later at Wilderness House.
....Russia finally reconciled......
He was the Royal protector and Sovereign Grand Prior of the Orthodox Order of Knights Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem, formerly under the protection of his father Prince Andrei and uncle Prince Vasili.

Earlier this year, Prince Michael presided at the Investiture of new Knights and Dames into the Order. The picture above was taken at the dinner following the Investiture.

On 28 September 2006, in scenes recalling the splendour of Imperial Russia, Prince Michael was an honoured guest at the interment of the Danish born mother of the last Tsar of Russia, Her Imperial Majesty, The Tsaritsa Maria Feodorovna, in the sombre Fortress of St. Peter and St. Paul in the  great imperial city of Peter the Great, St. Petersburg.

This was in many ways a final reconciliation of Russia to the terrible wrongs visited upon the Romanov Family and the Russian people for the evils of Boshevism. Their promise of paradise on earth had, as Fyodor Dostoevsky long ago predicted, resulted in a time of madness.

And it was a madness portrayed not as the monstrosity it was, but as something beautiful.

The Prince would have been deeply moved  when , just as they did when  she had first come to Russia as a young Princess,  cannon from the Fortress boomed out in a solemn imperial salute in honour of the Empress as she made her final journey home to her beloved Russia.

...tributes pour in.....

Prince Michael was a dignified and reserved man, with a strong sense of duty, as evidenced by his enlistment in the Royal Navy.

Tributes are pouring in from those who are mourning a great man.

He will be greatly missed.

Rex Morgan, the Bailiff Prior of the Australian Bailiwick of the Orthodox Order of Knights Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem, observed:

“Having known Prince Michael for a number of years, I came to admire him both for his modesty and his dedication to the charitable affairs of our Order.

“He presided over all of the investitures of members in Australia by virtue of his Imperial connection, being great nephew of the Tsar, Nicholas II.

“In later years he could be persuaded, albeit reluctantly, to talk about his time growing up under the care of His majesty, King George V, who had granted asylum to Prince Michael’s grandmother, Grand Duchess Xenia.

“He always referred, nonetheless with great respect, to The King as 'Uncle Georgie'.

“All members of the Order join in expressing their condolences to the Romanov Family, who are now scattered throughout the world.”

Mr Bryan Stertern-Gill, the Deputy Bailiff Prior of the OOSJ, Chairman of the Australian Monarchist League (Victoria) and ACM supporter, said:

"HH Prince Michael will be very, very sadly missed. He was our Royal Protector and Sovereign Grand Prior, a committed Orthodox Christian and constitutional monarchist. He was a person of great strength, support and love.

" Personally, he was like a mentor to me and a very close and personal family friend. Every time he visited Melbourne he stayed with us and we considered him part of our family. His loss will be greatly felt by all who knew him." 

George Bougias ,OOSJ, International Convenor of ACM and member of the AML  said:

"HH Prince Michael was one of those rare individuals that reminded us it is possible – and indeed necessary – to live the great ideals in the modern age.

"He was a man of deep faith, tradition and honour but also gracious and joyful. He was always willing to spend time with people and help those in need. His love for both Australia and Russia was immense.

"I consider myself extremely fortunate to have known him and will miss him greatly. OOSJ members and all Monarchists will always remember him, through both our prayers and actions."

Baron von Rossbach Rossel, from the OOSJ in Sydney, said:

"I deeply regret the passing of His Highness who will be sorely missed. I had a most high regard for him. The last of the Russian Imperial line in Australia, he gave enormously to the Order, to Russia, to the United Kingdom and to Australia. I wish him eternal rest."

Mr. Frank Gartrell, President of the NSW Branch of The  Royal Commonwealth Society said:

"The Prince often came to RCS functions, and he was a most enthousiatic supporter of the Society and the Commonwealth.  Always soflty spoken, he was a wonderful man of great qualities." 

The Prince is survived by his widow, Princess Michael, to whom we offer our most sincere sympathy.

The funeral is now scheduled to begin at 10.00 am on Tuesday 30 September at the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul , Vernon Street, Strathfield, Sydney, NSW. The Very Revd Archpriest Michael Protopopov  will lead the service.

All supporters of the Russian Imperial House and Australian monarchists are invited to attend. After this the cortege will leave for a Thanksgiving service at St James Church, King Street, Sydney to begin at 1.30pm.  Members of the Order are invited to waer mantles and collarets.

At the conclusion of the service,  the cortege will proceed to Botany Cemetery for the interment in the Eastern Suburbs Memeorial Park .

Following the burial the mourners are invited to return to the St James' Church crypt."

I am obliged to inform you that I am honoured to have been asked to act as one of his pall bearers.
May God rest his soul and grant him the peace he craved.

Ilias

I

Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline Netty

• View Profile
    • Netty's Royalty Page
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 07:37:32 AM »
Thanks! The obituary is quite good, but unfortunately the date mentioned is wrong. That is pretty confusing for people. As you didn't mention the date of death in your message and the people here live in completely different time zones all over the world, it can be very confusing.

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 07:51:31 AM »
0205hrs Monday 22nd September 2008.
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »
Thursday September 25, 2008, The Sydney Morning Herald

ROMANOFF, Prince Michael
Andreevich. September 22,
2008, late of Double Bay. Darling husband of Giulia.
Loved stepfather to Daniel, sister-in-law Sue and her family.
Dear brother of Andrew and Olga. Remembered by Elizabeth
and Andrew (deceased) Briger, and his many dear friends.

Aged 88 years

Relatives, friends and members
of The Sovereign Order of St John of Jerusalem are invited to
attend the funeral service of PRINCE MICHAEL to be held
at the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Peter and St
Paul, Vernon Street, Strathfield on Tuesday (September 30,
2008) appointed to commence at 10 a.m.

Following on, the cortege will leave for a Thanksgiving Service
to be held at St James Church, King Street, Sydney, at 1.30 pm.
(Members of The Order; mantles and collarets to be
worn). Parking available in MLC Centre and The Domain.

On conclusion the cortege will proceed for the interment at
Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park (Botany Cemetery).

TREVOR LEE & SON PTY LTD
FUNERAL DIRECTORS

Proudly Australian Owned
All Suburbs 9746 2949

F.D.A of N.S.W.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »
Thanks to all for posting the obitiuaries.

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 02:06:28 AM »
HH Prince Michael of Russia was late to rest yesterday with alll the pomp and ceremony befitting his Royal Rank,
below is a slide show of photo's
The article in the paper was the most read article in Sydney today.

http://www.smh.com.au/interactive/2008/national/michael-romanoff/index.html
May God rest his soul.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:29:23 AM by Ilias_of_John »
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 06:00:00 AM »
Thank you for the link a very dignified report of the events.

I expect other members of the family sent flowers at least?

Michael

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:57:39 AM »
Condolences yes, flowers no.
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.