Author Topic: Your dream Romanov book: ideas & requests for authors  (Read 33997 times)

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Your dream Romanov book: ideas & requests for authors
« on: December 11, 2004, 07:58:04 PM »
I was just wondering what kinds of books you would like to see published on the Imperial Family, or for that matter other royals discussed on this site? If you could write a book or ask someone to do it, what topics do you wish could be written about - either ones never published before or ones that could be expanded upon.

From what I've picked up on this site, people have expressed an interest in seeing newer and better books written on G.D. Ella, Princess Alice of Great Britain (Ella's mom), and a picture book on Christian IX's family, among others (these are ones I remember right now).

We already know books are being worked on by Bob on the Alexander Palace, by Charlotte Zeepvat on royal nannies, by Greg King on the court of Nicholas II, and by Art Beeche on the Grand Dukes and another one on their wives - all very interesting and worthwhile works!

I guess I am just asking what subjects and people do you wish were written about more?

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Your dream Romanov book: ideas & requests for authors
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 02:06:11 PM »
Let me add to this the publication of Alexandra's jewel book, similar to the one published on Nicholas (The Jewel Album of Tsar Nicholas II), showing their own sketches of all the jewelry they owned and received as gifts. I have heard that her jewel book exists but just hasn't been published.

Offline jaa

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 02:28:27 PM »
I'd like a book focused on OTMAA.

The children are almost parallels to Anne Frank, in the sense of so much potential lost in the murder of innocents.

IMHO one of the failures of history, and perhaps the reason we do not learn the lessons we could from it, is that we give attention only to its heroes and villains. Their victims have expression only in quantity. But we know Anne Frank through her diaries. We could know OTMAA through the people who knew them.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 11:02:27 PM »
There are two bios on Alice - Hessian Tapestry and a bio by Gerald Noel.   I also have her letters edited by her sister Helena.

As for Ella - I believe Christopher Warwick is at work on a bio.   There is a lovely new book published in Denmark about Christian IX's descendants - lots and lots of photos (and it is in English.)

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »
A biography of Olga Konstantinovna.

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 08:56:34 AM »
A DETAILED chronicle of the Romanov dynasty and Imperial House.

Most books focus on Pyotr Alexeevich, Nikolai Pavlovich, Alexander Pavlovich, Yekaterina Alexeevna 1+2, and Nikolai Alexandrovich. Ho hum. What about Anna Ivanovna, Sofia Alexeevna, Yelizaveta Petrovna, Mikhail Fyodorovich? Nothing much ever seems to be written about them.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 02:29:39 PM »
I would like to know the title and publisher of this book. Marlene, Could you give them?

I have no idea -as the book has not even been published - and am not even sure how far Christopher Warwick has gotten into this work.  I heard about it from a friend in the UK, but have not seen anything else on the book ...

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 03:49:55 PM »
Thank you, Marlene. I thought the book on Christian's descendants had been published already. I'll keep it in mind and put it on my wish list anyway. And the same goes for the book on Ella, of course.

the book on Christian's descendants has been published.  It's called A Royal Family.  Came out last year in Denmark.  There is also a 2 volume book in Danish, Huset Glucksborg on Christian IX's descendants ... but no one has done a comprehensive genealogy on Christian IX's descendants - as has been done for Queen Victoria.  

When I get more information about Warwick's book, I will let you know - and of course will be writing about it in Royal Book news, the newsletter that I publish.

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 07:44:23 AM »
Sarai, This is a very nice thread :), but do you also have any plans to get authors mobilised to realise our wish lists?

Helen,
I'm glad you like the topic. :) However, I was just curious to see what types of books people are interested in seeing published, if only as an idea to current authors who may frequent this board and, perhaps, for future authors as well.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 06:11:30 PM »
Chris Warwick's book has no publication date as Marlene says...but it is coming, but not soon.

I am working on a biography of Victoria Milford Haven, I hope you will all enjoy it.  It may be out before next Christmas.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 06:39:12 PM »
I would like to see an affordable book(s) describing the Tercentenary Balls. The two volume collection which is available now commands a premium price (a few hundred USD).

There seems to be no specific publication which details the history of the Smolni Institute starting with Quarenghi's initiative to the date of its closure by the Provisional Government.

The market is fairly well served with books about Empress Marie. However there seems to be little in print about Alexander III and Marie, similar to the Nikolai and Alexandra format we are familiar with. Such a publication following the 2006 reburial ceremony would be more than appropriate?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 06:52:21 PM »
The market is fairly well served with books about Empress Marie. However there seems to be little in print about Alexander III and Marie, similar to the Nikolai and Alexandra format we are familiar with. Such a publication following the 2006 reburial ceremony would be more than appropriate?  

I agree, that would be a good idea. I have also noticed that there seem to be more biographies on Marie than on her husband, so I would add to this list a bio on Alexander III.

I would also like a bio of the first Tsaritsa Alexandra, wife of Nicholas I.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 07:05:40 PM »

I agree, that would be a good idea. I have also noticed that there seem to be more biographies on Marie than on her husband, so I would add to this list a bio on Alexander III.

I have biography of Alexander III written by Bokhanov, in the Russian language. It was published in 2001. Perhaps an English translation is warranted to grab a wider audience?

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 07:43:09 AM »
So the question is who of us does read Russian fluently, speaks English fluently and has enough time to get the job done? Any volunteers?
And don't forget, Helen, someone who also owns a copy of this book  ;)

Helen A

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 11:44:49 AM »

I would also like a bio of the first Tsaritsa Alexandra, wife of Nicholas I.

I have a bio of Alexandra in my collection.... in English