Author Topic: Your dream Romanov book: ideas & requests for authors  (Read 34550 times)

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
Re: Your dream Romanov book: ideas & requests for authors
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »
The biography that I wrote and had published in May 2014 relating to Alexander III is more about "Power, Tragedy and Love" if that suits your reading tastes.

The book does provide 223 photographs, some of which are unique to the publication.

Additional details and stores from where it may be purchased can be found in this Forum's Romanov book thread.

I'm really exited to hear this. Your book has been on my Christmas list before it even came out, I'm praying its still available in December.

I really can't wait to read more of his own thoughts and words from his diaries and letters! The little I have read makes me even more excited.

I hope you shall succeed in acquiring a copy of my book!

Best regards,

Margarita Nelipa

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
I would love a comprehensive family tree of all royalty. In pull-out, poster size, if necessary.

Also: more Olga Alexandrovna.

Offline Nathan the Great

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »
I would love it if someone wrote a book or books on the royal yacht standart, the royal trains, and the cameras the Imperial family used
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
~ George Santayana

Offline Marie Valerie

• Graf
  • Erzherzogin von Österreich (1868-1924)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2014, 08:59:01 AM »
A book about the Princesses who became Grand Duchesses, "The Grand Duchesses" by Mr Beeche covers only G Ds by birth not by marriage...

I would like to know more about Mavra.

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »
A book about the Princesses who became Grand Duchesses, "The Grand Duchesses" by Mr Beeche covers only G Ds by birth not by marriage...

I would like to know more about Mavra.

In her photo album "Camera and the Tsars" Charlotte Zeepvat has a chapter dedicated to those who married into the dynasty.

It's only photos with captions but they gave just enough info to show that there are some really fascinating people who married into the family (and that doesn't include Maria Feodorovna or Maria Pavlovna)

A book as you suggest would be really fascinating!

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2015, 04:40:39 AM »
I would give my right arm for an English translation of Grand Duke Konstantin Konstantinovich´s diaries....

Offline brookeb499

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2015, 06:09:39 PM »
I am wondering if the last works of David C.Clarke who wrote : The Lost Fortune of the Tsars"....was his unfinished book published?If not I believe that would be a very good book to have for historys sake.
Even if he didn't finish it. I am sure it would be worthy of print. Mr. Clarke dedicated his entire life to the mystery's that surrounded the royal Romanov family. I for one loved reading his books and how well he
investigated ,researched,studied,and reached out to follow any and all leads where ever that would take him. I believe what he did was a masterpiece and should not be taken lightly.

I was very saddened when I learned of his death.I was just a newbie at reading and learning about the royal history of the Romanovs and felt quite inadequate to attempt to offer any type of opinion. I am still yet
a newbie regarding a complete understanding of the beautiful Romanov's and the beautiful Palaces,and a world  and era that would unexpectedly vanish.

I am currently trying to obtain a copy of his book: hidden Treasures of the Romanovs "Saving the Royal jewels". I hope sometime in the future  there might be a book discussion on it on the Alexander palace Time Machine.

Best Regards,
Brooke

Offline brookeb499

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »
I would also love to see a full book of photos.A beautifully done picture book,of the Royal Romanov Balls during the time of Tsar Nicholas II's reign. Each picture identified so we understand who is in the picture from time to time.
I would be curious to know more about the royal ball's social etiquette the guests traveling arrangements,did they go on the a specific train?Did they go on Tsar Nicholas's private train to the royal ball? The costume dress,and georgeous dresses, the royal tailors designing costumes for the  balls and the history.preperation,decorations,music, for the ball. So many spin offs you can only imagine what could be done book form or movie ot T.V.series.
on this topic.
 I would specifically like to see the ball of 1903 (I believe....that is correct). I also think it would make a beautiful and glamourous tv series sensation if it were done as well as Downton Abbey was. Would't it be
exciting if it could be done on location in exchange for cultural ,historic, exchange...It could actually be magnificent!!! Perhaps the government of Russia would see thisi with vision for what it could be to the historic
realm of Romanov fascination.
Bob Atichion.....promise if I have inspired you to dream as I am right now...I shall be invited to join the casting crew in some fashion.Photography,Costume design....or just dreamer.I am sure you have many people on the Alexander Palace Time Machine with extraordinary talents that would love to be apart of such an endeavor.

Brooke

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2015, 05:27:32 AM »

I would specifically like to see the ball of 1903 (I believe....that is correct). I also think it would make a beautiful and glamourous tv series sensation if it were done as well as Downton Abbey was. Would't it be
exciting if it could be done on location in exchange for cultural ,historic, exchange...It could actually be magnificent!!! Perhaps the government of Russia would see thisi with vision for what it could be to the historic

Brooke

Back in 2003 a book on this ball was actually published:

http://www.kingandwilson.com/1903CostumeBallBook/
http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/books.html?sku=73

and a copy for sale...
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=15149095203&searchurl=sts=t&tn=costume%20ball%20in%20the%20winter%20palace

It was always an expensive book and is very hard to find now. It has two volumes one of which has large size reproductions of photos of all the ball participants and a second volume of memoirs of the ball.  The only thing the book(s) really lack are photos of couples as each image is of an individual person.  At the same time as this book was published at least 2 different sets of loose postcards of photos from the book was also published, but these are also hard to get now.

Offline brookeb499

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2015, 11:57:26 PM »
I want to thank you Katmaxoz for the amazing links regarding "Costume Ball at the Winter Palace" by Russky Antiquariat. What an amazing endeavor and undertaking!!!!The thought of it
is breathtaking.The history with-in its pages filled with the magnificent beauty of another time.Beautiful jeweled dresses,traditions laced with fairytale like dreams that were once lived.
I believe that THIS, THIS would be the book that could be come a part of us today if it were brought to life. I hope that at this very moment as we speak of it,someone will see this,and
and seriously consider turning the Costume Ball into a T.V.series. Restage the beautiful ball and fill it with the intrigue of the royal relationships,woven into a beautiful tale....of another time.

Thank you again for your reply.I wonder if a library would be be able to obtain it so it could be seen?Do you know if copys are available at any specific library in the United States? Sometimes
they bring in rare books . They cannot leave the library.They can only be viewed there.I would love to see volume two.

Brooke

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »

Thank you again for your reply.I wonder if a library would be be able to obtain it so it could be seen?Do you know if copys are available at any specific library in the United States? Sometimes
they bring in rare books . They cannot leave the library.They can only be viewed there.I would love to see volume two.

Brooke

I'm not in the USA - but if you have access to a university library its very probable they can get it.  I know Jacques Ferrands books are available in the USA library system and you can't get them where I live.  Take the information to your local library and have a conversation with the librarian. They will probably be happy to follow up on this and help if you ask....after that there's always the photocopy/xerox machine for use:)

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »
I would be curious to know more about the royal ball's social etiquette the guests traveling arrangements,did they go on the a specific train?Did they go on Tsar Nicholas's private train to the royal ball? The costume dress,and georgeous dresses, the royal tailors designing costumes for the  balls and the history.preperation,decorations,music, for the ball. So many spin offs you can only imagine what could be done book form or movie ot T.V.series.
on this topic.
realm of Romanov fascination.

Your dream movie has already been made: Русский ковчег - Russian Ark (2013)! A history of the Winter Palace come alive. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE2jRxToAjQ The big ball scenes are in the last half.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:48:18 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: «Ивы и берёзы», 1843 / 1856)

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
The thought of it is breathtaking.The history with-in its pages filled with the magnificent beauty of another time.Beautiful jeweled dresses,traditions laced with fairytale like dreams that were once lived. I believe that THIS, THIS would be the book that could be come a part of us today if it were brought to life.

Really? You certainly are a diehard romantic!
Do note the following about the 1903 Costume Ball:

- The costumes were designed as imitations of 17th century (pre-Petrine) Russian ones, from the first decades of the Romanov dynasty. In pre-Petrine Russia there were no court balls, as ladies at court lived and socialized more segregated from men.

- The costumes, especially for the ladies, are far too heavy and cumbersome to dance typical ball dances like waltz in. Was there any dancing at all in 1903? Perhaps slow and stately ones, like a polonaise, which was part of the Polish fashion export to Russia in the 17th century? (Compare the famous polonaise scene in the movie adaption of "Pan Tadeusz", recalling the last glories of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq-VmzcJa3Y)

- The return to Muscovite "barbaric splendour" in the form of this 1903 ball can perhaps be seen as a forewarning of where Russia was heading because of NII's disastrous reign: Back to old Muscovite despotism, not just in fashion and form, but also in essence.
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: «Ивы и берёзы», 1843 / 1856)

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »
Here's a small contemporary article on the ball from a French magazine.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2yzar1k.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/11t8mkk.jpg

They did dance at the ball - here's a picture of one of the dances by Princess Yussupov

http://i64.tinypic.com/9a6d8w.jpg

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:32:07 PM by katmaxoz »

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2016, 10:59:55 AM »
A coffee table book on the Marrinsky Ballet pre-1917.

A social season in St Petersburg. Description of the parties and balls and a who's who in society.