Author Topic: Please Help !!! Silver Cross of St George with No Class ID  (Read 4521 times)

Offline planman

• View Profile
Please Help !!! Silver Cross of St George with No Class ID
« on: November 02, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »
Please help!  I have attached a picture of a St. George Medal.  We cannot seem to find out any information about the medal with NO class.   All of the ones we have found are 1st 2nd etc. class.  This medal is currently on Ebay and my Mom placed it there not knowing what it was worth.  It started at 5.99...!!! and now has gone to 6,500...  We would like to know if anyone knows what the serial numbers mean on the medal and if someone has some reference book that allows us to know who it was given to.  The number is 106643..   Any ideas also about where we can go to look this up?   

Thanks,

www.vistaontheriver.com/images/brendasebay/cross.jpg

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Please Help !!! Silver Cross of St George with No Class ID
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:53:01 AM »
Did some quick research for you.  found several things.

First: obverse without the class designation is the distinguishing feature of the St. George Crosses of the first half of XIX Century.

Thus your St. George medal is a very early one.  CollectRussia.com, a very reliable source for Russian militaria has one dating to the Napoleonic War of 1813-15 serial number 39923  (asking price $79000!!!)

There is a set of books listing every St. George recipient by serial number, but in russian.  You can buy the volume from Collect Russia .com if you want to get the exact date and original recipient.   
http://collectrussia.com/showcat.htm?cat=stgeorge

I couldn't find the list searchable online. I think some of our members may have it and one of them could look it up for you.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Offline planman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
Thanks, would be nice if someone has the book.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:00:26 PM »
For information purposes:  The eBay bidding is now closed on this item and the winning bid was $6,600 (USD).   AP