Author Topic: GDss Marie and Louis "Dickie" Mountbatten  (Read 78174 times)

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Re: GDss Marie and Louis "Dickie" Mountbatten
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2012, 06:24:39 AM »
Is there a space dedicated to this "first love relationship" in his biography? Sadly I cannot read the book, so I was wondering if anyone could post some quotes on the matter, if tehre are any included?

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »

I think it also gives a tangible glimpse of what GD Marie was like. In a BBC documentary Lord Mountbatten describes how extraordinarily attractive the four GD's were, in his words '' much more than their photographs show''. Marie as the 'middle' sister we know often felt overlooked but not so by Louis, to him she was the special one and even as an elderly, battle weary statesman he was still rather 'bashful' when describing her. I don't think we should try to take that away from either of them.
I was going to say "well said!" But I see Lisa has already done so...so I'll just  say

here!  here!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »
In a BBC documentary Lord Mountbatten describes how extraordinarily attractive the four GD's were, in his words '' much more than their photographs show''

Vanya, can you tell me more about this documentary? Its exact name, or when i can find it, or how can i browse for it? I'll be very interested in see Lord Mountbatten speaking (does he speak? i think so, he died in 1979....). It'd be terrific seeing with my own eyes someone who knew OTMA personally and talks about them...
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2012, 12:01:42 PM »
It's wonderful to hear Lord Mountbatten speak of OTMAA and especially Marie in later life...( his emotion about it hadn't mellowed a wit)  but his wish to marry Marie had entered  family lore long before when as a boy he make it known to his mother of his intention. I wonder if his utter seriousness ( at, I believe, age 10) bemused  the adults of the family ...but it certainly impressed them enough to make note of it . I always made note  his use of the word,"  determined",  when he said he was " determined to marry her " (Marie)....it shows an appreciation of obstacles...but he seemed quite undaunted by them !  Of course I love how he kept a photo of  Marie near him all his life. It shows his bond, her special place in his heart , but also another determination...that she was not forgotten. He shared that with others  who  knew and loved  the family, but lived well after them. 

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Sara Araújo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »
Here is the interview where Dickie Mountbatten speaks of his boy crush on Maria. Here he also shares his memories about other Romanov and Hesse relatives. I'm still jumping up and down after discovering this documentary after so many years searching it! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10vt58_the-life-and-times-of-lord-mountbatten-02of12-the-kings-depart_shortfilms?search_algo=2
Natalie Paley website:

http://nataliepaley.webs.com/

Offline OctoberLily

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »
This is fascinating!  Thank you so much for posting the link!

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2013, 05:36:20 PM »
Here is the interview where Dickie Mountbatten speaks of his boy crush on Maria. Here he also shares his memories about other Romanov and Hesse relatives. I'm still jumping up and down after discovering this documentary after so many years searching it! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10vt58_the-life-and-times-of-lord-mountbatten-02of12-the-kings-depart_shortfilms?search_algo=2

Touching to see Louis talking about his Romanov cousins.

I'm in my sixties and remember him appearing in the news occasionallly in the 1960s and 1970s. And his murder by IRA terrorists. To me he belongs in the "modern age". But he's also a very real  link to the last Romanovs and of course  to his dear Marie. I'm so glad he recorded his memories in this documentary while he had the chance.
Rodney G.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2013, 03:54:42 AM »
I still remember hearing on the news about his assassination. I was only a boy at the time. Interesting to see this documentary.

Offline Превед

• Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »
One adores the musical score in the intro combined with the rarely seen Battenberg arms!
Interestingly the sociolect of this Germano-Briton makes you assess how thoroughly (North) German Upper RP sounds with its non-rhoticity and close vowels.
Березы севера мне милы,—
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: «Ивы и березы», 1843 / 1856)

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »
I understand that he kept Maria's photograph in his bedside table, until his death. Amelia

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2013, 05:08:39 AM »
Thank you for the video! It is just surreal to hear him speak. Somehow one cannot really comprehend this is indeed a person who knew them all, communicated with them, was close to them. I had the same surreal feeling when I was at a Titanic exhibition. Even though the objects lifted from the bottom of the sea were there in front of me, one could hardly believe they were authentic. It just felt so unreal.