Author Topic: GDss Marie and Louis "Dickie" Mountbatten  (Read 80073 times)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: GDss Marie and Louis "Dickie" Mountbatten
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 08:29:17 AM »
Well, it would have been very interesting for history if these two had married, and they might have been well matched. I enjoyed the post above, and I woundn't just dismiss Lord Mountbatten and Grand Duchess Marie being a good couple if things had gone another way. And yes, she was the most beautiful Princess in Europe. ;D

Offline lilavanderhorn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 11:46:23 AM »
I would like to think that N&A would have relented and let their daughters marry morganatically.  The world was changing, not to mention none of them were in the line of succession, so it would not have mattered too much whether or not their children were fully royal.  I can imagine that Marie and Anastasia, if left to themselves would have loved the "flapper lifestyle" had they been allowed to enter it.  Skirt hems went up, and corsets came off.  I do not think they would be as wild as Felix and Dimitri, but they would have certainly enjoyed the parties, not to mention the attention from young men; being that Marie was a natural flirt, and Anastasia follwed her lead.  Alexandra would have been scandalised with the modern ideas and fashions of the 20s and Olga and Tatiana would have done their duty and stay true to her wishes.  As elder daughters, I think more was expected of them.  For Marie to marry Lord Montbatten instead of  some young officer would probably have been a relief for Alix.  However, given that she seemed to be the type to "fall in love" quickly, a commoner would have more likely caught her eye than her cousin who was hundreds of miles away.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 08:24:40 AM »
I would like to think that  I do not think they would be as wild as Felix and Dimitri, but they would have certainly enjoyed the parties, not to mention the attention from young men; being that Marie was a natural flirt, and Anastasia follwed her lead.  

Actually, in terms of behavior, it was the other way around. Marie was dominated by Anastasia. I believe that Anastasia would have enjoyed the uninhibited nature of later parties more than attention from young man given her personality. Marie, of course, would have undoubtedly preferred the attention.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2006, 02:05:11 PM »
But I wonder, if it hadn't been for the horrors of the war and (political) disruption and chaos across Europe, would the 20s have turned out as they did? Maybe there would have been no flappers etc. Perhaps just a slow decline of Edwardian sensibilities instead...

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2006, 07:44:58 PM »
You could also look at it as they would've enjoyed the times of the 1920s if they'd survived, not just if WW1 hadn't occured. The world probably would've unfolded much the same way.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2006, 10:13:47 AM »
Yes, I think Anastasia and Marie would have enjoyed the twenties, no doubt for various reasons. Anastasia was very unininibited, and Marie enjoyed attention from handsome young officers ;), so that would have fit. As for marriage, Marie might have just had someone catch her eye,too true. And undoubtedly Alexandra would have approved of her marrying Lord Mountbatten more than some officer..the might have been's of history.

Offline Nathalie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2006, 10:07:30 AM »
Could somebody tell me the name of that English prince, who fell in love with Marie and he kept her photo with her till the day he died? I have read about it here, but I can't find it anymore :(
Dites-moi, Vladimir Lvovich, si j'avais une amie ou une sœur plus jeune, et si vous appreniez qu’elle…enfin, supposons qu’elle vous aime…que feriez vous á cette nouvelle?

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2006, 12:44:33 PM »
That would be Louis Mountbatten.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2006, 09:36:15 AM »
Yeah, it is such a shame that Nicholas didnt accept his offer.  Louis was a hottie.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2006, 12:09:13 PM »
 ;D i havn't heard of him!

do you have a picture of him?
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

Offline granduchess_leah

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006, 01:37:53 PM »
Louis "Dickie" Mountbatten who was he ,he said he wanted to marry marie

"I was mad about her, and determined to marry her. You could not imagine anyone more beautiful than she was [. . .]" -- Louis "Dickie" Mountbatten

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »
He was the son of Prince Louis of Battenberg (later Mountbatten). He was a British statesman and admiral as well as the uncle of Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh.

In the future, please try to use proper grammar and punctuation.

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006, 06:28:07 PM »
He was also the son of Princess Victoria of Hesse, sister of Alexandra. In the book, Flrght of the Romanovs, it is mentioned that Lord Louis Mountbatten had Maria's photograph  by his bedside table, till he died.

Amelia

Offline Amelie

• Seize the Day
    • View Profile
    • Brooke Horn
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2006, 09:47:45 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of this Louis Mountbatten--"back in the day"? I tried meta search, but all I could find were recent pictures.

Oh right, and what was his rank; was he a count or something? I know Ortino said he was a "British Statesman." Enlighten me, please, for I don't really know what a "Statesman" is actually (I feel so stupid asking this; I should probably try paying more attention in history!)
"Despite all that has happened, I still believe people truly are good at heart..."~Anne Frank

Offline otmafan

• Knyaz
  • In Loving Memory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2006, 10:25:26 PM »
He was born Prince Louis of Battenburg, then became Lord Louis Mountbatten. He was also First Sea Lord, Viceroy of India, and Earl of Burma.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:29:22 PM by otmafan »