Author Topic: Olga born late?  (Read 8037 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Olga born late?
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:44:40 PM »
I remember reading a letter Marie Feodorovna sent Alexandra, telling her something to the effect of "eat lots of ham in bed in the morning, it'll cure your morning sickness, and the baby has to come eventually."

Alexandra was expecting Olga in October(old style), and Olga went a week or more past her due date, but I'm not totally sure. Anyone have an answer?

Offline Erika

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Olga born late?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:19:36 AM »
Olga was expected in October so the empress was several weeks overdue when she finally gave birth to Olga on the 15th of November 1895.

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:50:03 AM »
I remember reading a letter Marie Feodorovna sent Alexandra, telling her something to the effect of "eat lots of ham in bed in the morning, it'll cure your morning sickness, and the baby has to come eventually."

Alexandra was expecting Olga in October(old style), and Olga went a week or more past her due date, but I'm not totally sure. Anyone have an answer?
Yes! I remeber that letter as well, it alway's makes me laugh, I hope that doesn't sound abnormal or mean. XD

Offline Erika

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:52:16 AM »
I wonder if eating lots of ham in bed actually cures morning sickness? I doubt it...

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:55:50 AM »
I wonder if eating lots of ham in bed actually cures morning sickness? I doubt it...

Eh every women different, right? I can't imange it being healthy as well.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 04:17:21 AM »
That's maybe why Olga was a heavy baby when she was born.  I'm wincing as I think of poor Alix giving birth to her first baby and it's so heavy. LOL. But Olga was a cute baby.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:11:28 AM »
That's maybe why Olga was a heavy baby when she was born.  I'm wincing as I think of poor Alix giving birth to her first baby and it's so heavy. LOL. But Olga was a cute baby.

Eh, most likely she was put to asleep during the process.

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »
Yeah, I think they used chloroform.
I'm back on my bull****.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »

Eh, most likely she was put to asleep during the process.

I didn't know that :)   Thanks for informing me :D  Well she would of been sore afterwards. :(
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Lalee

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:00:49 AM »
Was Alix actually put to sleep during Olga's birth? Never knew that!

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »
Well, alot of women during that time time period was put to sleep during birthing process.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 05:37:21 PM »
Not a lot.  Usually women just suffered through.  Queen Victoria used chloroform for some of her children but I am sure it was not considered acceptable.

I've never heard of Alexandra using chloroform during labor.

Olga was probably not "late" as we count 42 weeks (full term!) as "late".

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 07:56:17 AM »
That's maybe why Olga was a heavy baby when she was born. 

Actually, Olga's weight probably had nothing to do with being late, or Alix eating raw ham. Babies born to carriers of hemophilia often have a higher birth weight than normal. OTMAA all weighed over 9lbs at birth, which was even more unusual at that time than it is now.

Also, Lanie's right about the chloroform -- many people were shocked that the Queen of England had used it. Easing the pain of childbirth was even seen as sacrilege by some, because it was considered part of the curse of Eve, ordered directly by God.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:59:05 AM by Sarushka »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 08:29:47 AM »

I've found the letter from MF to Nicholas II that mentions ham as a cure for morning sickness -- it was actually written during Alexandra's pregnancy with Tatiana:

"She ought to try eating raw ham in bed before breakfast. It really does help against nausea. I have tried it myself and it is wholesome and nourishing, too.... It is your duty, my dear Nicky, to watch over her and look after her in every possible way, to see that she keeps her feet warm."
[from pg 123 of The Last Empress, by Greg King]

I've never heard a due date for Olga, nor precisely when Alexandra became pregnant, so I couldn't say for sure if Olga was late. Also, remember Olga was born on 3 November old style, so if she was indeed expected in October, she wasn't terribly late at all. However, according to A Lifelong Passion, the empress did have some pains on 6 October (OS) which the tsar thought might be labor pains:

"From the evening Alix again started getting pains, which she felt at night whenever she woke up. As they continued in the morning, I decided not to go hunting and stayed home. At about 10 o'clock Alix got up and spent the whole day on her feet as if nothing was the matter; and there was I thinking that theses pains meant the beginning of the end."

"7 October
My darling wife felt wonderful all day -- things seem to have come to a halt, and we were so hoping that by Sunday the great event would have taken place!"

Skimming through Nicholas's Russian diary for the time between 6 October and 3 November, I don't notice anything unusual about Alexandra or her health, so this seems to have been an isolated incident.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 08:32:55 AM »
Are there actually any entries in Nicolas´ diary mentioning Alix got pregnant with any of the children?