Author Topic: Le Vie Secrete de la Tzarina Tragique, by William Le Queux  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Le Vie Secrete de la Tzarina Tragique, by William Le Queux
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Le Vie Secrete de la Tzarina Tragique, by William Le Queux

A little more info here:

I've had a request to add this title to the APTM Book Finder, but I've never heard of it and I don't read French. Apparently there are also German and Russian editions. (I"d prefer to add the original edition.)

Amazon UK gives the title in English as: The Secret Life Of The Ex-Tsaritza: Amazing Disclosures By Her Maid-Of-Honour and Confidante, the Baroness Zeneide Tzankoff

Is this a legitimate memoir, or a fictional tell-all similar to Marfa Mouchanow's My Empress?
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Le Vie Secrete de la Tzarina Tragique, by William Le Queux
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »
It sure looks like a fake to me.  The clue to it for me is the "Sensational Revelations" in the title  (which is the better translation, btw)...

Plus, I've never heard of the alleged "Maid of honor"

I'd be sceptical.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:30:16 AM »
That was my gut response as well.

The French reader who contacted me has promised to report back with their reactions, so we'll see...
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:42:02 PM »
Sarushka,

I urge you not to add this gem to Bookfinder. It's bogus, i.e., it doesn't tell us anything about the 'Secret Life ' of the Tzarina Tragique". The author wasn't in a position to know anything about Alexandra's personal life, with or without the purported Maid-of -Honour. This book was  published in 1918, but after July, hence the awareness of the tragedy, and was apparently rushed into print to take advantage of the sensational news out of Russia.
William Le Queux was a popular writer/journalist in the early 20th century, best known as a writer of mysteries and spy thrillers. That is, a writer of fiction , though often against a real historical backdrop. It's nowhere near appropriate for your Bookfinder.
Rodney G.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:17:45 PM »
Rodney -- I appreciate your concern. This is exactly the kind of info I need to make the Book Finder most helpful. I may indeed add this title to the database so prospective readers will know whether to spend their time and money tracking down what sounds essentially like a bit of trashy fiction.

On one hand I like the idea of only including the best of Romanov literature in the Book Finder, but on the other I think it's important to give people as much information about ALL the books -- good, bad, and ugly -- as I can so they can make informed decisions before investing.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:48:19 PM »
I think its important that "discredited" books be in the book finder and labelled as such.  I remember how thrilled I was to find Simanovich's "Rasputin" in the original French, until it arrived and I started to read it and realized that it was useless sensationalized trash.  What a loss to history that Rasputin's secretary didn't write the truth, and instead wrote trash to sell more books instead. One wonders what insights into Rasputin were thus lost to us today.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »
Rodney -- I appreciate your concern. This is exactly the kind of info I need to make the Book Finder most helpful. I may indeed add this title to the database so prospective readers will know whether to spend their time and money tracking down what sounds essentially like a bit of trashy fiction.

On one hand I like the idea of only including the best of Romanov literature in the Book Finder, but on the other I think it's important to give people as much information about ALL the books -- good, bad, and ugly -- as I can so they can make informed decisions before investing.

Sarushka, Although that seems reasonable enough, I would think it might be outweighed by the desire/need to have potential buyers not waste their money on bad books. I know this would put a significant burden on you to be the one to give a thumbs up or thumbs down for a book, but I got the impression you already did that. That is, that you didn't , or haven't yet, added literally all the hundreds of Romanov titles to the database.
Rodney G.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »
There are about 100 titles at the moment. That's basically all the Romanov literature I'm personally familiar with, so yes, I am already doing the tumbs up/down thing, though I try to be objective about it whenever possible. I tend to avoid posting books that I haven't had the opportunity to examine myself -- unless of course another member contributes the information for me.

A tangential question: would anyone like to see additional novels, children's titles, or books on claimants added to the Book Finder? I've shied away from the subject of Anna Anderson simply because I'm not informed enough on the topic to judge a book's accuracy, so I'd need help with those additions. However, I could comfortably add books such as Angel on the Square, the Anastasia installment of The Royal Diaries, City of Shadows, and The Pretender.

Incidentally, one of these days I'll get around to incorporating the online books that are available on the APTM into the Book Finder. It seems ridiculous to have a Romanov literature database that doesn't include Vyrubova, Dehn, Gilliard, etc. Trouble is, I don't have cover art for those books....