Author Topic: Prince George of Greece & Princess Marie Bonaparte  (Read 244065 times)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Prince George of Greece & Princess Marie Bonaparte
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2008, 12:47:41 AM »
If you read the book by Celia Bertin there is no proof or even indication that the marriage was morganatic. It's true that Maries father Prince Roland, who was very fond of the empire stile and suffered from the fact that the line of Lucien Bonaparte always had some kind of "special status" among the other lines of the Bonaparte family, especially because his grandfather had married morgantically twice- like it was said here- and was also quite poor im comparison to the Princes Napoléon, who also partly had to finace the military career of Prince Roland, which his mother wanted, but Marie Bonaparte was highly respected by the greek people as far as one can read it in the book and in other sources. In case of a morganatic marriage, it would have been known, for the case if it was not accepted by the royal house or anything, and it wa definetely not like that: The wedding ceremony of both royals was celebrated for many hours, a standard royal marriage, not anything morganatic. Also the children Prince Peter and Princess Eugenie carried normal royal titles. However a morganatic marriage was that of Prince Pierre, which was very discussed and disliked by the parents, it seemed like a "read line" in the line of Lucien Bonaparte to marry morganatically, because Lucien Bonaparte was the only brother of the emperor, who resisted to the will of Napoleon. Therefore true is the fact that Marie had a lot of common ancestry, more than the line of the Princes Napoléon, who mixed themselves with many royals like Sachsen-Coburg, Habsburg, Savoy, Orléans etc, and Prince Roland seemed to suffer from that and hided it by his wealth (through his wife Marie-Felix) and old customs like speaking with his daughter formally etc. Despite of that, I'm very sure, at least in Greece that marriage was not morganatic at all, but considered as equal. Funny is that the greeks estimated Princess Marie eminently, because they believed in the old legend of the Duchess d' Abrantes, who told that the Bonapartes had a greek background...surely only a legend!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:54:22 AM by britt.25 »
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 03, 2008, 06:43:34 AM »
Well,Bonaparte family did descend from most part of European royal families,even from the Capet dynasty(the one Napoleon fought against),but I can't find anything that they descended from the Greeks...The closest I could find is Marie's descedance from the King of Jerusalem...Here is the line from them:

Baudouin II du Bourg, King of Jerusalem reigned 1118-1131 
                               I
Alix de Jerusalem, Regent of Antioch born around 1110-died around 1136
                               I
Constance, Princess of Antioch,lived from 1127-1153
                               I
Alicia de Chatillon,Princess of Antioch,died in 1235
                               I
Margrave Azzo VII d'Este,lived from 1205-1264
                               I
                   Cubitosa d'Este
                               I
Gabriele Malaspina, Marchese di Verrucola,died in 1289
                               I
Isnardo Malaspina, Marchese di Verrucola
                               I
Niccolò Malaspina, Marchese di Verrucola,died in 1416
                               I
                 Apollonia Malaspina
                               I
Giovanni Buonaparte,Nobile di Sarzana,died in 1501
                               I
Francesco "il Mauro" Buonaparte, Nobile di Sarzana,died around 1540
                               I
Nobile Gabriele Buonaparte,lived from 1485-1582
                               I
Nobile Geronimo Buonaparte,lived from 1520-1594
                               I
Nobile Francesco Buonaparte,lived from 1570-1633
                               I
Nobile Sebastiano Buonaparte,lived from 1603-1643
                               I
Nobile Carlo Maria Buonaparte,lived from 1637-1692
                               I
Nobile Giuseppe Maria Buonaparte,lived from 1663-1703
                               I
Nobile Sebastiano Nicola Buonaparte,lived from 1683-1720
                               I
Nobile Giuseppe Maria Buonaparte,lived from 1713-1763
                               I
Carlo Maria Buonaparte,Nobile di Toscana,lived from 1746-1785
                               I
Lucien Bonaparte,Prince di Canino and Musignano,lived from 1775-1840
                               I
Prince Pierre Napoleon Bonaparte,lived from 1815-1881
                               I
Roland,6th Prince di Canino e Musignano,lived from 1858-1924
                               I
PRINCESS MARIA LAETITIA BONAPARTE,later PRINCESS OF GREECE AND DENMARK,lived from 1882-1962

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2008, 07:00:22 AM »
And here is her line(and also Napoleon's) from the CAPET dynasty:

Hugues CAPET, King of France 987-996,lived from 940-996
                               I
Robert II 'le Pieux', King of France 996-1031,lived from 972-1031
                               I
Henri I, King of France 1031-1060,lived from 1008-1060
                               I
Philippe I, King of France 1060-1108,lived from 1052-1108
                               I
Princess Constance of France,lived from 1078-1125
                               I
Boemund II, Prince of Antioch 1110-1131,lived from 1107-1131
                               I
Constance, Princess of Antioch,lived from 1127-1153
                               I
Alicia de Chatillon,Princess of Antioch,died in 1235
                               I
Margrave Azzo VII d'Este,lived from 1205-1264
                               I
                   Cubitosa d'Este
                               I
Gabriele Malaspina, Marchese di Verrucola,died in 1289
                               I
Isnardo Malaspina, Marchese di Verrucola
                               I
Niccolò Malaspina, Marchese di Verrucola,died in 1416
                               I
                 Apollonia Malaspina
                               I
Giovanni Buonaparte,Nobile di Sarzana,died in 1501
                               I
Francesco "il Mauro" Buonaparte, Nobile di Sarzana,died around 1540
                               I
Nobile Gabriele Buonaparte,lived from 1485-1582
                               I
Nobile Geronimo Buonaparte,lived from 1520-1594
                               I
Nobile Francesco Buonaparte,lived from 1570-1633
                               I
Nobile Sebastiano Buonaparte,lived from 1603-1643
                               I
Nobile Carlo Maria Buonaparte,lived from 1637-1692
                               I
Nobile Giuseppe Maria Buonaparte,lived from 1663-1703
                               I
Nobile Sebastiano Nicola Buonaparte,lived from 1683-1720
                               I
Nobile Giuseppe Maria Buonaparte,lived from 1713-1763
                               I
                               I
                               I
                               I
                               I
PRINCESS MARIA LAETITIA BONAPARTE,later PRINCESS OF GREECE AND DENMARK,lived from 1882-1962

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2008, 07:02:02 AM »
Sorry for those lines but I find them interesting,because most belive that Bonaparte family doesn't have any noble ancestry...

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 03, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »
                               I
                               I
                               I
                               I

After Prince Roland's death, whom did the "Prince of Canino" title pass to, or did it become extinct?
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 03, 2008, 09:29:22 AM »
At first to Marc....what a wonderful work! Those lines of descendance are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did you find it??????

I have been concerned with the Bonapartes for such a long time, but I never achieved to lead them back sooo far.
I only found all the ancestry until the middle ages, where the name Bonaparte was given to Napoleons ancestors as a sign of honour for having voted the "right party" during civil wars in Tuscany. I really didn't know that they descend from Hugues Capet!!!! Is this really a secure source? If yes, that's great, so they have partly really the same ancestry as the Bourbons...great! Even the descendance from the kings of Jerusalem was completely new to me....fascinating! Thank you...can you tell me, how you find it? I even didn't find it in any of my books.

Concerning the statement with the greek ancestry of the Bonapartes, it is a only legend, which was founded by the Duchess d'Abrantès, who was a famous chronist of the napoleonic time. It can be quoted as following:

"In the year 1670 the people from Genoa, after they had been banished by the turks out of Greece, brought christian hellenes with them to
 Corsica, which belonged to them since the end of the 18th century. They shall have settled in the region of Cargèse and Ajaccio. The chief of that clan had the name Constantin Comnène, one of his sons was named "Calomeros", which can be translated with "Bella parte" or Buona Parte
"

For historians it's evident that this is a pure legend. It seems in the napoleonic time one tried to "create" greek ancestry for Napoleon, as many famous people and heros were of greek origin, as well as all the myths with half-gods etc, it would have been more fascinating to integrate the emperor somewhere there than simply to acknowlegde his italian/corsican background.

The book also says concretely that this stands in a total contradiction to the papers of Carlo Maria Bonaparte, which he got by the Archbishop of Pisa in 1769, and were he was appointed to a noble man and patrician.

However it seems that especially the greeks believed in that story, and in Celia Bertin it is described that, when Princess Marie came to Greece as new wife of Prince Georg, the greeks cheered and swang banderoles, where the name Bonaparte was to read in greek:"Kalomeri"...The people still believed in that and for Marie is was a nice phantasy to play with as fresh wife of a greek Prince....

And now to the Princes of Canino. I'm unsure, if Roland was Prince of Canino. The first Prince of Canino was Lucien, brother of Napoleon, then the title was given to his eldest son Charles- Lucien, but I'm not sure, if Roland got it as well. In my books this is not clearly said. I think it was always passed to the oldest son. I always read that the last Prince of Canino was Napoléon-Charles-Gregoire (1839-1999), married to Christine Ruspoli, who had two daughters (Marie/Marie and Eugenie).  He was a cousin of Prince Roland, who was son of the younger son of Lucien B., Pierre-Napoleón. The Princes of Canino, so I thought, totally extinguished with the death of Napoléon-Charles-Greg., who only had daughters, and no sons, whom he could have passed the title to. I have never heard that it was passed to descendants of the younger son of Lucien, like those of Pierre-Napoléon. Does anyone know it for sure???
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:40:37 AM by britt.25 »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 03, 2008, 03:29:01 PM »
Don't know why but Roland declined that title of Canino and Musignano...I trased Bonaparte line combining two genealogy sites genealogics.org and the one of Miroslav Marek(don't know the exact adress but if you google it you will find it for sure)!!!I find it also interesting,but if you have just one noble ancestor,than there is a chance of finding more...like Tatiana Blatnik(girlfriend of Prince Nikolaos of Greece) has descended from Erszebeth Bathory(bloody countess)...

Offline dmitryalex777

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 03, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »

On the death of his cousin Prince Napoléon Charles Bonaparte he succeeded him as the 6th Prince of Canino and Musignano but he did not assume the title. With Prince Roland's death in Paris the senior line of the House of Bonaparte descending from Lucien Bonaparte became extinct in the male line.

Prince Roland was married in Paris on November 18, 1880 to Marie Blanc (1859-1882). They had one daughter.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 04, 2008, 12:46:47 AM »
Thanks for the link. So it seems Prince Roland indeed succeded as Prince of Canino. I did not know, that there is an Wiki article on Roland, it seems to be quite new, because some time ago it was not there. Even when Wiki is not always the best source it seems, it can be or is right here, I think. Strange is that in other sources I always read that Charles-Gregoire was the last carrier of that title.

Thanks Marc, too. The genealogy site must be fascinating, I never traced back families that far, it's great.  I know a German historian, who is working at a genealogical book on the Bonapartes, I wonder, if his work will correspond with this. A pity that the book is still not available....we'll see...

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 04, 2008, 01:40:47 AM »
They do have a long history too. not too much was written about the Luicen branch of the Bonapartes... :(

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 04, 2008, 08:53:05 AM »
I think the best info about that branch of the family is in the book by Celia Bertin. The lives of Lucien, Pierre and Roland as well as of the Blancs are described well. I also do have a biography on Lucien, but about the side of the Princes of Canino there is not tto much to find. The wesbite of the Palazzo Primoli carries wonderful photos of them made by Joseph Napoleon Primoli, grandson of Charles-Lucien Bonaparte, if anyone is interested. All the children of Lucien Bonaparte were very intelligent, almost all being scientists with different interesting careers...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:54:49 AM by britt.25 »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »
I agree that book is the best source...the only in English I guess.  :(

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 05, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »
I have it in German and I'm happy about, because I don't understand french.... ;)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2008, 12:02:46 AM »
The same book you mean ? Or another book on Marie ?  ???

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2008, 12:59:13 AM »
No, I mean the book of Celia Bertin, no other book. I never found other good literature about Marie. Only her works on Edgar Poe or Topsy or others like that, which are to get in new editions...Sometimes there are also articles in dictionaries on the psychoanalysis, but they are not too profound and tell only a little on Maries personal life etc. Only Bertin covers the topic fully.
I firstly began to interest myself for this book and this topic, after I had taken part in an evening presentation, in the near of my hometown (and also in the near of the home of Marie Hensel). It was a french woman, who lived here in Germany, who presented it, and told that she had bought the Bertin book in the eightees at her home in Paris. So I thought that there would be hardly a possibility to get it, but was very surprised when I noticed that it is to buy easily and was also in the library of my university-in German! At once a got and read it then by myself, and noticed that the lady, who had presented it, and who had said many things and facts out of her memory, did some mistakes....(She also told: "There are no photos of her, she never wanted herself be be photographed!") Later I noticed that it was indeed not true, because there are not little photos on Marie, also when she was younger. It is indeed true that she had complexes concerning her look and considered herself as not very beautiful in comparison to her cousin Jeanne (What I think is not true) but there are losts of pictures....The lady also told some other things wrong that Marie was dressed very ugly as a child and that she later when already being a psychoanalyist escaped from an exhibitionist,whom she had to cure. In the book it is written differently: that Marie as a child had escaped from a such a person, and later when she met a well-kown exhibitionist again, she offered him a therapy, but he never came....There were other things like that... :o
However, important is that she was the first, who had inpired me concerning Princess Marie. I don't think that there are comparable books on her...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:03:59 AM by britt.25 »