Author Topic: Prince George of Greece & Princess Marie Bonaparte  (Read 244059 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Prince George of Greece & Princess Marie Bonaparte
« Reply #300 on: July 06, 2008, 10:33:58 AM »
Indeed...I got the English version. The definitive book on Marie Bonaparte.  :D

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 06, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Did you read those anecdotes on Marie like the one with the exhibitionist? There are also others like this... ;D
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 06, 2008, 07:54:41 PM »
Not really...But she did had an eventful life.  ;)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2008, 04:20:54 AM »
There were quite strange things about her, very unsual for that time and for her standard. But I don't know, if it it right to present it here, if children look ;D ;D

For example she shall have escaped from an important royal wedding only to make a presentation about female sexuality somwhere else. She also broke limits by speaking openly about things like frigidity (her main problem as we know) and masturbation (see her conversation with Ruth Mack), which was quite unusual for that time (She indeed "did it" herself, I think it was the only way for her to feel what she could not feel together with a man...). She also tried to come over her frigidity by changing her lovers very often and certain operations in the genital zone (It was never successful and she always remained frigid, and suffered until the end of her life a lot from it)
There was one more funny story about her: Marie was present at a hospital and was introduced to a client, who suffered of a phopia of soap, by a doctor. princess Marie made a very doubful diagnosis and stated that the reason for the soap-phobia was an initial wish by the client to fondle his father's testicles. The doctor was filled with indignation when he heard this and turned read saying: "My daughters would never have such a desire!"
Marie was offened because of those critics and ran away from the doctor, who called after her:" Well...you can't behave like this now..."

It only shows that Marie really was a very special and unique personality, on the one hand she had never fallen apart from the royal house and tasks, on the other hand she broke so many limits, which really were totally unsual for that time, where something feminism etc. had not existed yet.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:24:56 AM by britt.25 »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »
Indeed...Marie was ahead in her times. I wonder if she ever met Infanta Eulalie, another progressive royal (first to talk about woman's lib and right to divorce with dignity).  :D

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
I should have a look into the book again to find out, if she might have known her, she had indeed many royal contacts and also wrote about this in her memories, also how they looked like etc, but I can't remember the one you mentioned....I will look. It's years ago that I read that book.

Offline dmitryalex777

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2008, 05:34:38 PM »
Really Marie Bonaprate had many lovers and did adulter with them?

Her Greek husband probably suffered because of it very much?

Was he a cuckold?

Is it really or I understood it absolutely incorrectly?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:37:33 PM by dmitryalex777 »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:36 PM »
 I really think that Greek Georgie wouldn't mind if Marie had a lover...He was too busy travelling with his "beloved" uncle, Prince Vlademar of Denmark.  ;)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2008, 03:11:52 AM »
Really Marie Bonaprate had many lovers and did adulter with them?

Her Greek husband probably suffered because of it very much?

Was he a cuckold?

Is it really or I understood it absolutely incorrectly?

I don't think that he suffered, if you look at his relation and affection to Waldemar...And yes, maybe it's a bit over-exaggerated, but Marie tried to find her sexual deliverance and had some lovers, but remained absolultely a classy woman.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 14, 2008, 01:54:01 AM »
It's a strategy of Dmitry those questions...that's it, with the time everyone on the board will notice it...sorry to say so.

Offline Relatively X

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 04, 2008, 12:28:10 PM »
Maria was a very depressed child, and a depressed young woman.  She had thought she had found a joy and the opportunity to cultivate and feel love from Dr. Sigmund Freud, but he was so overwhelmed with the "cause and affect" of his cure-all drug experiments.

I really can understand with the loneliness, which she grew to be accustomed, until she met, "Mr. X".  For those of you who are not familiar, I'm not talking about a fictitious illustration.  I'm highlighting that Maria finally found the taste of Love for her own personal void, in Mr. X.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 12:37:47 PM by Relatively X »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »
Well...At leasr Marie did not end up in a nut house like sister-in-law Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece. I wonder if she chart her progress...?

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2008, 02:27:14 AM »
Maria was a very depressed child, and a depressed young woman.  She had thought she had found a joy and the opportunity to cultivate and feel love from Dr. Sigmund Freud, but he was so overwhelmed with the "cause and affect" of his cure-all drug experiments.

I really can understand with the loneliness, which she grew to be accustomed, until she met, "Mr. X".  For those of you who are not familiar, I'm not talking about a fictitious illustration.  I'm highlighting that Maria finally found the taste of Love for her own personal void, in Mr. X.

Yes, the Mr. X also appears in the book by Celia Bertin, it's a long time ago I read the book, but do you think Mr. X is fiction? The book says that he was a doctor and lover of Marie Bonaparte, of whom the name was never published. Marie wrote about him in her writings/diaries etc, but did not tell the name. Or am I naive? Maybe I once did not understand it correctly and he was a fictional person, where she found what she was looked for. In fact she never found at any man what she really needed, so it it known. I think she could also feel what she wanted, when she "did it herself"...strange, but true. She also had several problems with Mr. X, who was described as much younger than Marie, so I don't think he was a fiction, because she even had certain problems and misunderstanding and an up and down with him, Mr. X.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »
Maybe just a fasination ? Marie can be quite creative.  ;)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2008, 02:25:41 AM »
I have to read that part of the book once more, but when I read it some years ago I was quite sure that Mr. X indeed existed. I was said that she spent beautiful hours with him side at side (intimate hours) and that he was a doctor.
As we know Marie enjoyed the society of doctors, in earlier times she had wanted to become a doctor herself, a dream, which wasn't possible because of her extraordinary status.
When I looked a bit through the book on Marie and did a bit reseach again I found an aspect quite interesting: That Marie already with seven years started to write her thoughts into diaries (she used different exercise books with a "depressing black cover") and did not write in French, but in English and it German, even when she was not without mistakes.
Marie, who never felt well in her environment and was often very unhappy saw a possibility to get a distance from the world with her tyrannic grandmother in which she was "locked", and not less she found a chance to write down every conflict, difficult situation and problem, which she could not discuss in the family (in that kind of society it was never possible) and which caused her sorrow as her child.
Not unlike much later her (much younger ;D) jewish contemporary :) she wrote in her book "In this book I put all the things that can consolate me"...and used nine exclamation marks after that, very unsual (and wrote "thinks" instead of "things", something like a freudian mistake :))
Marie later forgot about those books, but found them one day, when looking through the things of her father, and let them analyse. She called them exercise books with "stupidness", published them, and found an analytical way to interprete those fears and thoughts in that books, which for a person without any knowledge in psychoanalysis might often seem without connection. She saw more and more certain symbols and their meaning and traced back those stories and phantasies/memories to the so called original scene (sexual scenes). She found the explanation that she was more interested in sexuality as child as she could not live like other children and was taken away by her grandmother from usual child plays and games etc and was f.i. not allowed to see other kids nacked etc.
By the way all this was a quite interesting aspect for me, especially because was already so little at that time, when she began with those writings.  There are two examples of her writings in the book. An interesting talent and work of a very young child!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:33:12 AM by britt.25 »