The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
November 28, 2014, 06:09:46 PM
462601 Posts in 8998 Topics by 14528 Members
Latest Member: CalvinKl
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  Iberian Royal Families (Moderators: Eurohistory, Forum Admin, trentk80)
| | |-+  Munoz y Borbon
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Munoz y Borbon  (Read 5779 times)
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:26:46 AM »
tecklenburg Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Hi everybody

I read some memoirs of Infanta Eulalia http://openlibrary.org/details/courtlifefromwit00eularich
It is wonderful to read her about her youth, her dear brother.
Eulalia is carefoul too. She never evocates her father's nor her mother's lovers.
She remembered tenderly her grandmother Queen dowager Cristina. She tells us about how she fell in love with Munoz y Sanchez (with a handkerchief Smiley according to her, but never write about their children
That's why I wanted to start a new topic about them

1. María de los Desamparados Muñoz y de Borbón, Condesa de Vista Alegre (1834 - 1864)
2. María de los Milagros Muñoz y de Borbón, Marquesa de Castillejo (1835 - 1903)
3. Agustín Muñoz y de Borbón, Duque de Tarancón (1837 - 1855)
4. Fernando Muñoz y de Borbón, Duque de Riánsares y Tarancón (1838 - 1910)
5. María Cristina Muñoz y de Borbón, Marquesa de Isabela (1840 - 1921)
6. Juan Muñoz y de Borbón, Conde del Recuerdo (1844 - 1863)
7. Antonio de Padua Muñoz y de Borbón (1842 - 1847)
8. José Muñoz y de Borbón, Conde de Gracia (1846 - 1863)

every daughter were well married but I'd like to have some infos about the four sons, pictures. Why Juan, Antonio & José died so young? What were their parents's plans for them ? Could they have entered spanish army or administration? What about Agustin and Fernando ?

Had Munoz y Borbon good relations with Isabel II during their lifetimes?

Were titles "Vista allegre", "Recuerdo", "Gracia" created by Isabel II to remember some qualities of her siblings?
Reply #1
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:30:17 AM »
Jose II Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Are there any pictures of Muñoz alone or with Q.Maria Cristina ?
Reply #2
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I Love YaBB 2! Posts: 1050

View Profile

Fernando Muñoz duque de Riansares:

Reply #3
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »
Veronica Offline
Graf
Et Si Omnes Ego Non Posts: 440

View Profile

Maria Cristina, Muñoz and one of their daughters:

Reply #4
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:49:23 AM »
Veronica Offline
Graf
Et Si Omnes Ego Non Posts: 440

View Profile

I found this about the eldest boy:

AGUSTIN MARIA MUÑOZ AND BOURBON. 
Born in Madrid on March 15 1837, and died on July 15 1855.  He was named Duke of Tarancon, Grande of Spain 1st Class, on November 19 of 1847, and in 1849, Viscount of Rostrollano.  Ddue to his young age he died without offspring.

On this child, it is noteworthy that Gen. Juan José Flores, first president of the Republic of Ecuador, intended to set up a throne for him on Ecuador. Jorge Francisco Saenz Carbonell says that "Both the Queen Maria Cristina and the Duke of Riánsares received with great interest the proposal of Flores to erect a throne in Quito, especially as the skilful Venezuelan told them the possibility that the Ecuadorian hypothetical crown would go to one of their children, specifically to the nine year old Don Agustin Munoz and Bourbon.  Dona Maria Cristina and her husband, who already were convinced in the idea of a new dynasty, began to help Flores in secret to organize expeditionary forces, with the knowledge of the Minister of War.  Unfortunately for the designs of the Queen Mother and the Duke, the news was leaked, and in August 1846 a newspaper in Madrid, "El clamor publico", made the news of general knowledge. In Spain, there was a bitter controversy, and in many countries of Latin America there was a huge scandal. Plenipotentiary of Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, New Granada and Peru came together to condemn the initiative.  In the end, the Spanish government had to say that they had no part in the plans  and Britain also got part into the matter. Flores had few ships in the estuary of the River Thames to board his soldiers but they were seized by the British authorities, and they also opened proceedings against Captain Richard Wright, who had been commissioned to organize the small square. At the end part of the Spanish Government had to resign and the prestige of Dona Maria Cristina was very damaged. "The reign of" Don Agustin I "and the dynasty Munoz finished before it started, and the child that was to be the King had to settle for the title of Duke of Tarancon, which was given to him by his half-sister Queen Isabel II in November 1847.  He died unmarried in Paris in 1855, at eighteen years old, and the adventure was only an illusion.

And about the younger ones:

FERNANDO DE BOURBON AND MUÑOZ, born in Madrid on April 27 1838, and died on Dec. 7 1910. He was named first in 1848, I Count of Casa Muñoz, then in 1849, I Viscount of Arboleda, and after the death of his brother, II DUKE OF RIÁNSARES AND II DUKE OF TARANCÓN. He was married on September 11, 1861, in Oviedo, with Eladia Bernalda of Quiros and Gonzalez de Cienfuegos. They had eleven children.

JUAN BAUTISTA MARIA MUÑOZ AND BOURBON, born in Paris on August 29 1844, and died on April 2 1863, in Pisa.  He was appointed Count of Recuerdo, 29 February 1848, and in 1849, the Viscount of Villarrubia I and II DUKE OF Montmorot. He had no offspring.

ANTONIO DE PADUA MUÑOZ AND BOURBON, born in Paris on December 23 1842, and died in Madrid in 1847.

JOSE MARIA MUÑOZ AND BOURBON, born in Paris on December 21 1846, and died in Pau, on Dec. 7 1863. . He was named Count of Gracia, 29 February 1848, and I Count of Arboleda. He had no offspring.

Reply #5
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Oh, my God...I can´t imagine the boy of the Riansares couple as KING of Ecuador!!

Thank you, Veronica, for the info. Not sure, but I believe the daughter who is photographed with her parents is María Amparo, countess of Vista Alegre, who was married to polish prince Wladyslaw Czartoryski. After the death of María Amparo, Czartoryski married Marguerite d´Orleáns.

Reply #6
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Another pic of Riansares:

Reply #7
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:40:15 PM »
tecklenburg Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Thanks to you for these infos & pictures !

I imagine them well as king, queen, crown prince, princesses of ecuador...Moreover she was Empress Teresa Cristina's sister...so it was a good choice.
Cristina & Munoz managed to marry well their daughters. They might be proud of them.
Isabel was generous with her siblings. Had she a favorite sister or brother with whom she had more in common ? what kind of "elder sister" were Isabel & Luisa ?
What were Munoz plans for his son's future ?
Reply #8
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »
Jose II Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Was any of their children mentally handicapped ?

The girl on the photo looks a bit ... retarded :-(
Awkward...
Reply #9
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:18:50 PM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 17276

View Profile

Can you tell me of the lives of the daughters ?
Reply #10
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
Marc Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 4470

View Profile

Portrait of Countess of Vista Alegre:

Reply #11
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:55:23 PM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Great, Marc!
At this portrait she resembles a lot her half sister queen Isabel II...

By the way...I can´t asure nothing, but I don´t think Amparo was handicapped, José. As far as I know, she was a fragile creature; maybe she was always sickly, and, in fact, she was dead from a tuberculosis when her only son was aged six...
Reply #12
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:57:29 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 17276

View Profile

Did her only son survive ?
Reply #13
« on: November 28, 2008, 11:43:40 AM »
Jose II Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Portrait of Countess of Vista Alegre:

Remember that the other day we talked about how titles sometimes belied the holders ?

Countess of Vista Alegre ? Countess of "Happy Sight" ? Who bestowed her the title surely was teasing her :-)
Reply #14
« on: November 28, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Did her only son survive ?

Oh, yes, Eric, but her mother passed on him the tuberculosis. He was a sickly boy. Now I think he´s beatified...this mean, he´s "almost"  a catholic saint... Wink
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: