Author Topic: Alexandra in "Doomed Queens" by Kris Waldherr  (Read 1543 times)

Offline ella_schatzi

• Victorian Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Fiction
Alexandra in "Doomed Queens" by Kris Waldherr
« on: December 04, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »
Alexandra Romanova is featured in Doomed Queens by Kris Waldherr, which chronologically orders queens from earliest times to the present day.  I finished reading the book and had to reread her chapter because something didn't seem right.  In the epilogue to the chapter, there's a paragraph detailing what happened after the murder, and Waldherr says that the family's remains were not found for "a century" (not true--nearly a century would be better wording) and that it was "ironic" a woman so reluctant to convert to Russian Orthodoxy would be sainted.  I know that there was controversy surrounding the canonisation of the Romanovs, but that's besides the point.  I take issue with the fact the author sees it as ironic, because as we know, Alexandra fully devoted herself to her new country and religion.  She was completely devout and fervently accepted the religion, did she not?  Would she really find her sainthood ironic?  I don't feel that's the proper word to use for someone who was so religiously devout.         

Link:  http://www.amazon.com/Doomed-Queens-Royal-Cleopatra-Princess/dp/0767928997
"Enjoy when you can, endure when you must."--Goethe
"Die Liebe besiegt alles."--Virgil
"I love you - these three words have my life in them."--Alexandra to Nicky. 

Schatzi--n.--popular German nickanme, meaning "treasure".
Icon from olde_fashioned.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Re: Alexandra in "Doomed Queens" by Kris Waldherr
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »
Alexandra was hesitant about marrying Nicolas because she didnīt want to convert at first. But as soon as she came to know something more about Orthodox church she let her love for Nicky win over all doubts and embraced her new faith with all the passion she was capable of.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »
Ella  schatzi,
Well observed. I read the reviews of the book on Amazon and they were uniformly positive. Given your observations, I'm sceptical. Even after allowing for my pro-Romanov bias, I'm still usuallly taken aback by the offhand attitude appearing towards Nicholas and Alexandra by authors who write about them and from whom one might expect greater knowledge and maybe even sympathy..
Rodney G.

Offline ella_schatzi

• Victorian Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Fiction
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 06:14:21 PM »
Yes, she seemed to "skip" certain details...

"Enjoy when you can, endure when you must."--Goethe
"Die Liebe besiegt alles."--Virgil
"I love you - these three words have my life in them."--Alexandra to Nicky. 

Schatzi--n.--popular German nickanme, meaning "treasure".
Icon from olde_fashioned.