Author Topic: Anastasia's figure/A thick waist?  (Read 51960 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Anastasia's "figure"
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 08:39:04 AM »
We also have to remember that the camera puts on anywhere from 10 to 20 lbs, so they were actually thinner than they look in their photos. When I saw their clothes in person, I was struck by how tiny they all  were, meaning not short but so thin! Even Alexandra who was older was extremely thin, although you can tell by her clothes that she was quite a tall woman.

I am 5'8" and weigh somewhere around 135-140, and as far as I know I am not overweight by any means, so I think 90 or 100 lbs for this height would be quite extreme. But we must remember that this is average weight for that time for women, and back then the average height of both men and women was a lot shorter than the modern average height. All the grand duchesses, except AN, were well above average height as was their mother, for that time, so they didn't necessarily fit into that "average weight chart".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »
That's true, Helen. People were smaller back then! I remember in one of my classes we were shown the average growth of the population of men and women and people are growing taller and heavier these days!
And I was also shocked at the tiny size of the gowns...especially Tatiana''s Lancer uniform. Someone at the museum tour with me in Newark wondered aloud how "anyone could fit into that tiny dress" when we were looking at the exhibit!

That is why I think Tatiana was probably 5'7" and then she should have been no less than 115...but Michelle is right, 125 seems like a more reasonable figure. I am 5'9" and 125 and people always say I am too skinny. So I find it hard to beleive that Tatiana was any less than that.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 09:41:48 AM »
Yes, this is why when you go into houses built in 19th or 18th centrury, everything always seems so small and crowded  ;D! That's because we have grown quite a lot as a population, and what was average about 100 years ago (height or weight) is far below these days. We can even see this from one genaration to the next - more often than not children are a few inches taller than their parents, this is especially true with mothers and daughters. For instance my sister and I are both two inches taller than our mom, and she was considered quite tall in her generation at 5'6". Probably children who are born now will be on the average a few inches taller than our generation (and probably quite a few pounds heavier, on the average  ;)).

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 11:06:06 AM »
Hmmm.  That's true, I forgot about the camera.  Helen, did you get to see a dress which belonged to each of the GD's? As in a dress Olga wore, one Maria wore, and one Anastasia wore along with the one you saw which belonged to Tatiana?  I'd sure love to see their clothes. :D  If they were as thin as you say they were (when they were healty), I can't imagine what at least O and T looked like during captivity when Olga was "nothing but skin and bones" and Tatiana "looked as if she were ready for the morgue." :P :'(

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 11:36:03 AM »
 Helen, did you get to see a dress which belonged to each of the GD's? As in a dress Olga wore, one Maria wore, and one Anastasia wore along with the one you saw which belonged to Tatiana?  I'd sure love to see their clothes.

Yes, I saw clothes that belonged to each of them, including Alexei, and some of their other personal belongings like embroidery and toys, at the Alexander Palace.

Here is a picture I took of the court clothes that belonged to each of the children:

And here is one (just for you, Michelle  ;)) of Olga's hussar uniform - it looks even much more tiny in person:

I made a travelogue for AP website, if you want to see more of my pictures from the Alexander Palace and other stuff, this is where it is:

http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/helenvisit.html  

or  

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:m7Ill3Jr95gJ:www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/helenvisit.html+helen+azar&hl=en
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 12:09:24 PM »
Oh thank you Helen!!  I so appreciate it!!!! :D :D :D  I'll definitely check it out!  I wish I could see them in person. ;D

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 12:45:12 PM »
I agree with Michelle. If Tatiana weighed 105 pounds or less she would probably have to be hospitalized, if she were indeed 5'8". I know that many people ARE naturally this tall and weigh this much, but Tatiana wasn't skeletal and bony, she had a nice slender figure. She was thin, yes, but not that thin. I know that weight differs per person but I would guess and say Tatiana was 115 at the lowest, if she was 5'7 or 5'8". As for the others, it is anyone's guess. Marie was probably more than 130 if she was 5'6 or 5'7". Olga, I have no clue!

OK, I guess 105-110 for Tatiana would have been way too thin :o. I underestimated the effect of her height :-[. So I agree that at least 115 lbs. for Tatiana. I still think she would have weighed less than Olga, though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sarai_Porretta »

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 01:19:29 PM »
that;s OK, Sarai, we are all just spectulating anyway! I agree that Olga was probably a little more than Tatiana -- or maybe they were the same, because Olga was so much shorter?

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 04:35:47 PM »
It was so cool seeing Tatiana's uniform because if I was, you know, what, 8 inches taller I could have fit in it.  Maybe.  Haha.  I was struck by how tall she was judging by the uniform, but since I'm really really short I guess everything seems really tall to me! :)

I should find the photos from Ts. S., Tobolsk etc that illustrate Anastasia's 'body type' though it's hard with those pretty billowing blouses and skirts and petticoats!

Maria_Romanov_fan

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 07:18:08 PM »
Hi everyone!
I just want to say that I will get back to you on the weight issue...

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 08:19:51 PM »
With all due respect, Sarai :), there's no way that Olga would've weighed more than Tatiana.  Olga was very slim, and to say that she would've weighed at least as much as Tatiana who was considerably taller, Olga would've had to have shown to be rather stout (I'm talking about in the later years like 1916/17/18).  But she wasn't stout at all.  So to me anyway, there's no question that Tatiana weighed more than Olga.  If Olga weighed as much or more than Tatiana, then we would see her looking a lot like Anastasia.  Of course from photos and memoirs we know that not to be the case.

Offline Candice

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2005, 10:52:48 AM »
Photos show the girls were petite in structure. Tatiana being the tallest. Someone mentioned the girl's  clothing. You can see from their clothing that they weren't very tall. While in captivity the girls would not have had much to eat, and their appetite would have suffered. I'm sure they were more concerned about their situation and condition they were in.  I know I would! They also must have experienced a lot of weight loss.

The Empress described Anastasia as a little on the broad side and small.  Anastasia could not have been taller than 5 feet tall. Tatiana must have been 5'6" and Olga 5'2"/3".  Marie looks broader to me than Anastasia and about 5'4."  Purely my observation.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Candice »

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2005, 11:47:20 AM »
I think Tatiana would have been taller than 5'6" ..i've heard Marie was 5'6" and you can see that TN is about 2 inches taller than MN...

Offline Candice

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2005, 12:03:39 PM »
Abby, thank you. I've not seen that photo before it is lovely.  I understand why you think they were taller than my  estimated size.  However, the individual kissing Olga's hand seems to be a very tiny soldier in a bent position.  Also the soldiers are standing on a slight slope.

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2005, 07:53:01 PM »
You're welcome! They are on a slope, I never realized that! Hmmm. Hard to tell, isn't it!