Author Topic: BYZANTIUM 330-1453  (Read 4528 times)

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
BYZANTIUM 330-1453
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »
I was in London last week and visited this great exhibition at the RA on Piccadilly....If you have the chance....GO!!!

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
Re: BYZANTIUM 330-1453
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 06:49:05 AM »
Absolutely right! This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see these exhibits. A 'must see' for iconophiles ~ e.g. Icon of Archangel Michael stolen as part of Crusade booty in 1204) and taken to Venice. Have a nice lunch at the Royal Academy, and then go to 'Magnificence of the Tsars' at the Victoria and Albert. Get really close to the Coronation robes of Nicholas II ! What a day ~ and it's 'Babylon' tomorrow!!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 08:30:28 AM »
I was a bit dissapointed in the Byzantium  exhibition.  But, it has more than what I was able to see in Istanbul itself, where I had just been.  I realise that there is just not that much left from the era, but I would like to have seen more on the court life and  workings of the  Eastern Roman state than the heavy emphasis on the Church.
 As for the Romanovs, well, that is another dissapointing exhibition, as I saw it.  I have commented on  that elsewhere on the AP board. But the real loser in London this season is "Babylon" at the British Museum.  Way over-priced and not much to see.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »
I was a bit dissapointed in the Byzantium  exhibition.  But, it has more than what I was able to see in Istanbul itself, where I had just been.  I realise that there is just not that much left from the era, but I would like to have seen more on the court life and  workings of the  Eastern Roman state than the heavy emphasis on the Church.
 As for the Romanovs, well, that is another dissapointing exhibition, as I saw it.  I have commented on  that elsewhere on the AP board. But the real loser in London this season is "Babylon" at the British Museum.  Way over-priced and not much to see.
Go to the Courtald...you will be delighted with the Turner watercolours and the new additions from the Schriff bequest..oh and a Picasso of yellow iris in a blue & white jug