Author Topic: Alexandra and her Health Part 1  (Read 210083 times)

Dashkova

Re: Alexandra and her Health
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2005, 04:13:31 PM »
:o "Wonderfully" for whom? The embarrassed 'patients' or the rather peculiar doctors?

HAH! I don't think you know what treatment I'm talking about...LOL!

The operative phrase to remember is "repeat visits," ok?

bluetoria

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2005, 05:17:09 PM »
 ;)I think I do understand! However! ;)

Dashkova

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2005, 05:19:58 PM »
;)I think I do understand! However! ;)

Ok, then, if you get it, then why call them embarrassed patients??

They came back for more. Not much embarrassment there, and indeed, why should there be? It was quite fashionable, and apparently effective for the short term.

bluetoria

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2005, 05:32:07 PM »
Because half the time I don't think they understood what was going on! They were very sheltered & whether or not they 'enjoyed' the experience, they were hardly willing participants...just going along with what was happening to them. (In my opinion).

Dashkova

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2005, 05:41:25 PM »
Because half the time I don't think they understood what was going on! They were very sheltered & whether or not they 'enjoyed' the experience, they were hardly willing participants...just going along with what was happening to them. (In my opinion).

Um, if you're interested I could send you some links to more info about this, because they most certainly DID enjoy the experience...sheltered has got nothing to do with it.  It was a way for women to get their jollies under the cloak of "medicine."
Oh, I love that..."just going along with what was happening to them..." lol! Yeah, that's why they kept coming back for more..."hardly willing participants..." TOO RICH!!
:-/  How old are you?

Ah, ok, same age as me.  Hmmm..well, um, I'm *sorry*.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Dashkova »

bluetoria

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2005, 05:42:23 PM »
No thanks. I don't need your links.

Dashkova

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2005, 05:45:27 PM »
No thanks. I don't need your links.

suit yourself! LOL!  ;D
There are some good books on the subject, some of which I read in a seminar on Victorian Women (came after a course on "Unruly Women")
But, I'm sure you wouldn't need those either!
Have fun now!

bluetoria

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2005, 05:47:04 PM »
(genuine question :)) What does LOL mean...I'm innocent enough not to understand that but lots of people write it :)

Dashkova

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2005, 05:49:48 PM »
(genuine question :)) What does LOL mean...I'm innocent enough not to understand that but lots of people write it :)

I've been using LOL since 1993, but, ok, it stands for "laughing out loud."
This forum doesn't have an emoticon that is laughing, so most people use the LOL or lol. Old fashioned, but it works.

bluetoria

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2005, 05:51:54 PM »
Oh, right! Thanks! :)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2005, 05:52:21 PM »
What does LOL mean...

LOL = Laugh Out Loud (net talk  ;))

bluetoria

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2005, 06:08:12 PM »
Thanks Helen Azar! :) I really need to get off this thread it brings nothing but conflict! :-X
To return to Alix's panic disorder...It didn't stem from her role as Tsarina, did it? When she was very young QV asked her to play the piano in front of a group of people & she fell to pieces. I am still reluctant to label her with a disorder - which I think is unjust & dangerous - but her shyness was extreme. Still, I think she needed no counsellors or psychoanalysts, just someone to talk to & it seems to me she cut off the people who might have been there for her (e.g. Ella) because she was the Tsarina & there was a conflict between her social position & her own personal needs and she opted for the role as Tsarina.  Then, by confiding in Rasputin, she picked the wrong person. I think...

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2005, 06:12:33 PM »
Thanks Helen Azar! :) I really need to get off this thread it brings nothing but conflict! :-X
No problem!  :)

By getting off this thread you won't avoid conlict so you might as well stay and get used to it  ;)  ;D

bluetoria

« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2005, 06:15:54 PM »
No problem!  :)

By getting off this thread you won't avoid conlict so you might as well stay and get used to it  ;)  ;D

Well there's conflict & conflict...

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2005, 06:21:49 PM »
To return to Alix's panic disorder...It didn't stem from her role as Tsarina, did it? When she was very young QV asked her to play the piano in front of a group of people & she fell to pieces. I am still reluctant to label her with a disorder - which I think is unjust & dangerous - but her shyness was extreme. Still, I think she needed no counsellors or psychoanalysts, just someone to talk to & it seems to me she cut off the people who might have been there for her (e.g. Ella) because she was the Tsarina & there was a conflict between her social position & her own personal needs and she opted for the role as Tsarina.  Then, by confiding in Rasputin, she picked the wrong person. I think...

No, her shyness, or whatever it was, didn't come from being the Tsarina, it was there long before that. But this is what a disorder is, when something enters the realm of "extreme" and starts interfering with one's every day life. So if her shyness was so extreme that it got to a point that it infrindged on her life, which certainly seemed to be the case often, then yes it would have been considered a psychological disorder. If Alix lived in the 20/21 century, she would have gotten therapy (hopefully) and probably some drugs and she would be more or less fine and would be able to function "normally". Back then this wasn't available of course, so she consciously or sub- looked for other things to try to alleviate her symptoms, and yes I would say Rasputin was one of those things. Her disorder, because it was left untreated for many years, seems to have manifested in other ways, hence many "imaginary" or real health problems starting at a young age. Again, this is all speculation on my part, of course I wouldn't know enough to say anything for sure. It just kind of sounds that this may have been the case...