Author Topic: Alexandra and her Health Part 1  (Read 211099 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Alexandra and her Health
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2005, 04:45:25 PM »

Alix seems to have had some serious "trust" issues.

Well, her judgment of character did not seem to be one of the best - she ended up trusting many "wrong" people, which ended up backfiring at her, so its understandable if she had trust issues...  

bluetoria

« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
Strangely enough I just caught the middle of a T.V. prog in which a (fictionary) policewoman went to see her counsellor about panic attacks. The counsellor said, "The main thing is to find out where these attacks spring from." (Then the scene changed!) It made me wonder where, if that was the Empress's problem, hers sprang from. Her mother's early death perhaps? She always seemed to have a sense of imminent doom (which proved justified in the end) but I wonder if it came from so many bereavements early in her life - especially as her earliest memories would be shrouded not only in the mourning for Princess Alice, May & Frittie, but also QV had such a morbid interest in everything funereal. (By the by, I read that Moretta as a small child had a horror of women in black dresses...it strikes me as significant that Vicky almost suffered a breakdown after the death of her son Sigismund which happened within weeks of Moretta's birth....all that black mourning....)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2005, 04:49:27 PM »
She always seemed to have a sense of imminent doom (which proved justified in the end) but I wonder if it came from so many bereavements early in her life - especially as her earliest memories would be shrouded not only in the mourning for Princess Alice, May & Frittie, but also QV had such a morbid interest in everything funereal.

Yep, I think that could certainly do it.

rskkiya

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2005, 04:52:28 PM »
Helen Azar

Good point ...How can one go about encouraging "trust" and teaching one the ability to judge people as 'trustworthy?"

Sadly, I do think that Alixandra had some paranoid tendencies (as almost everyone possesses to some extent !) and this could have made "trust" especially difficult.

{Cringing and waiting for these remarks to be horribly misunderstood!}

rskkiya
(insert icon for walking on eggshells here!)

bluetoria

« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2005, 04:59:32 PM »
It is true that at the height of her stress...shortly before the Revolution...she must have been bordering on paranoia (as anyone would be!). She trusted no one and her letters to Nicky become increasingly fraught naming name after name of people who were not to be trusted....'Ella's bigotted clique', ' Nikolai Mikhailovich 'whom I never liked or trusted', Samarin etc. etc.
Then, when the stress was removed by the Revolution (I mean the stress of having to run the country & she was resigned to her fate) all this paranoia disappears...Stress?  

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2005, 05:08:11 PM »
   Sadly, I do think that Alixandra had some paranoid tendencies (as almost everyone possesses to some extent !) and this could have made "trust" especially difficult.

I agree, rskkiya. I don't know if she was exactly paranoid or just shy/nervous/compulsive, or some combination along those lines. It's too bad that she never caught it early because her marriage and the ensuing problems with Alexei and the War certaintly exacerbated these qualities.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2005, 05:26:34 PM »
I think stress paid a big part. And a lot of people under stress at the time don't realise just how stressed they are, and also don't use their best judgement. I think during the war things became too much for her, and while she may have thought she was coping and the situation was all under control it was  getting worse and worse. The thing is, I think she'd have been able to cope a lot better had the war happened in the early part of the reign. A case of the wrong person at the wrong time, sadly.

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2005, 04:44:58 PM »
Didn't I read somewhere that N and A used drugs, such as cocaine, around the time of the revolution?  What effect would that have had on a panicky disposition?

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2005, 04:54:51 PM »
Everyone used cocaine back then. it was normal medicine for a head cold! I don't think they'd have been snorting huge enough amounts to get a buzz off it - it was just normal, every day medicine. Marijuana extracts were also used in medicine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Georgiy »

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »
Hey, whatever works!

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2005, 05:05:49 PM »
Yes, but these days it would get you thrown in jail! :D
("But it's for medicinal purposes, Your Honour!"
"Ten years, no parole!")

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2005, 06:18:04 PM »
Everyone used cocaine back then.
It was even one of the ingredients in Coca Cola  :D

rskkiya

« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2005, 07:22:12 PM »
   Yes, it was considered as healthy as vitamins, I gather...  :D
   Alix also sometimes used morphine and opium --supposedly for menstrual pain relief. But I don't know just how much this might have to do with the "panic disorder" issue, as the use seemed to be very sporatic.

rskkiya

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2005, 07:25:46 PM »
 But I don't know just how much this might have to do with the "panic disorder" issue, as the use seemed to be very sporatic

IMO, these drugs were used to self medicate - to ease the symptoms of the anxiety disorder when these symptoms became especially strong. This is still the case today!

rskkiya

« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2005, 07:35:09 PM »

IMO, these drugs were used to self medicate - to ease the symptoms of the anxiety disorder when these symptoms became especially strong. This is still the case today!

Well maybe ... But as far as I can tell, Alix only used opium/morphine rarely - while she seemed to be suffering from "panic attacks" fairly often!

rskkiya