Author Topic: The Russian House Restaurant near the Alexander Palace  (Read 8649 times)

Offline Mary Breheny

• View Profile
The Russian House Restaurant near the Alexander Palace
« on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:35 PM »
When I was in Tsarskoe Selo in October we ate at the Russian House Restaurant on Malaya Street, just across from the Alexander Palace.  Malaya Street ends across from the entrance to the A.P., and the Russian House Restaurant is only a few hundred feet from the palace gate.  We had amazing views of the Alexander Palace from the restaurant, and, as I wrote in another post, it seemed unreal to look out and see such a sight!    On another note, does anyone know what the old, semi-round building across the street from the entrance is.  Is it a hotel?  Just wondering. 

Offline Cathy

• Boyar
  • Without books, history is silent.
    • View Profile
Re: The Russian House Restaurant near the Alexander Palace
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »
Yes, The Russian House is a lovely restaurant.
If you are talking about the house at the east corner of Malaya and Dvortsovaya streets (round at the corner, a portion of the house on Malaya with the # 5/1 on that side of the house and another portion along Dvortsovaya), I think that it is a new building (not even a restructured one), built over the last 15 years on a previously empty lot.  I think it is an apartment block. It is not a hotel.

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »
As Cathy wrote, the house #5/1 appears to be new rather than reconstruction although the circular style with dome is similar to the sanatarium house that survived on the corner of Dvortsovaya/Pushkinskaya opposite Pushkin's dacha. The house on Malaya was owned by Iosef Nikolaevich Sabir of the Guards c1900s. Alexandra in her letters to Nicholas wrote of the Princess who lived opposite the entrance to the AP watching/gossiping at all who entered the palace. It would be interesting to know if it was this or the one opposite that was demolished and is now apartments next to the Jurisiprudence school. Also what the house looked like c1900s as Malaya has a great number of wooden buildings such as Malaya 5 which still stands.

Joanna

Offline Mary Breheny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 05:07:26 PM »
Thanks, Joanna and Cathy, for the information.
Mary

Offline Mary Breheny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
I will attempt to post several photographs I took during my October 2008 trip to Tsarskoe Selo and St. Petersburg.  If this doesn't work, I may have to ask for some assistance.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=644523323211.109532323211.1233013486529&page=1&sort_order=0&navfolderid=0&folderid=0&ownerid=0

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 07:26:05 AM »
I will attempt to post several photographs I took during my October 2008 trip to Tsarskoe Selo and St. Petersburg.  If this doesn't work, I may have to ask for some assistance.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=644523323211.109532323211.1233013486529&page=1&sort_order=0&navfolderid=0&folderid=0&ownerid=0

These photos didn't show up hun, how about you post them on photobucket :)
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Mary Breheny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:06:37 PM »

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 05:48:49 AM »
Mary,
What wonderful photos!  It makes me nostalgic for my trip to the AP, and I wish I had had more time in Tsarskoye Selo, but my guide didn't even want to bother with the AP. and was pushing us to move on to Pavlovsk and so I didn't get to see much of the town. Your pix help fill in the gaps.
Thanx.
BobG