Author Topic: portrait of Alexander III  (Read 3388 times)

Offline jacks-man

• View Profile
portrait of Alexander III
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »
I was just curious---have read when Felix Yussoupov went back to Petrograd from the Crimea to retrieve valuables, how he cut a portrait of Alexander III from its frame at the Anitchkov Palace and took it back to Empress Marie.  Supposedly the Empress was very touched by his thoughtfulness as it was her favorite portrait.  Assuming that it went with her into exile, and probably to Hvidore when she resided there, was just wondering if it still is in the hands of her Romanov descendants?  It would seem likely that perhaps some of Grand Duchess Ksenias line would still be in possession of it or did it meet a different fate?

Offline carrington

• View Profile
Re: portrait of Alexander III
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:47:34 AM »
Don't know for sure. Might have an idea though.  There  is a photo in Ian Vorres "The Last grand Duchess", oh Olga, in Canada. There is a portrait of her father over her ling room fire-place...

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:18:57 AM »
Hmmm, I only recall reading that the only paintings he cut from the frames and took with him were the two Rembrandts...From "Lost Splendor" by Felix Y. he says only " I left for St. Petersburg with my brother-in-law Theodore, who insisted on coming with me. I brought back with me two Rembrandts, which were among the finest portraits in our picture gallery: "The Man in the Large Hat" and "The Woman with the Fan." Unframed and rolled up, the paintings were easy to carry."  (see Ch. XXVI from the online version on the main APTM site...)

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 02:42:20 PM »
Grand Duchess Olga A. inherited the portrait of Alexander III. I have looked through the photo albums of GD Olga and have prints of which many are of this portrait. After her death, her estate was divided between her sons and remain private. Controversy surrounds these items and possibly in the future may either be auctioned, donated to museums or held onto.

Joanna