Author Topic: Faberge pendants  (Read 6775 times)

Offline ppatane

• View Profile
Faberge pendants
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
In the early sixties I saw a gold Fabrege egg pendant in a local antique store.  I was babysitting for .35 an hour then and the 40.00 pricetag seemed out of sight.  Of course I've wished I could go back and buy it ever since.  I've never seen another one of these, just plain gold but it had the Fabrege stamp on it.  Russian friends have told me that his factory turned out a lot of these for Easter.  Has anyone else come across one?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Faberge pendants
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
I think you are talking about the little eggs.  I have a few, Yes, they were given away at easter and rather than  pendants, they were usually worn on bracelets. They are not hard to find, but are rather costly now.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »
Response:  Do you recall where the "stamp" was? The markings were most often on the suspension ring and/or "bail" at the top of the egg, usually the initials of the workman and the fineness of the gold.  (This relates primarialy to the enameled ones.)  Remember, there is precious little space to mark such an item. There are today MANY authentic Faberge "pendant" eggs for sale (for necklace, bracelets, etc.)  that are VERY costly (and there are MANY, MANY more that are "Faberge-like," "inspired by," "in the style of.......," etc.  Then there are outright fakes that are made to deceive).  Additionally and importantly, his competitors of that time DID make authentic similiar eggs, Easter being such a great holy day in Russia.  There are some really reputable dealers world-wide that have (or can get) a true Faberge one or more for you.  It is still remotely "possible" to make a find, but you must really take a chance that you can bear/live with later!  (Don't feel too badly however, even in the '60's, I certainly feel that the price you saw was MUCH too cheap to be wholly authentic!  As an aside: In my collection I have a gold-plated one that displays the Imperial Arms engraved on it and is documented back to a Russian family at the turn of the last century in Harbin, China.  It could never be mistaken for a Faberge one, though!)     Best regards,    AP
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:11:08 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline ppatane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »
I don't recall where the stamp was.  I only remember my father tried to talk the antique dealer down and he said that it was authenic and would not budge on the price.  This would have been the early 60's before Nicholas and Alexandra and before much interest in the Tsar's family.  My obsession with them used to drive my family crazy and really amused most of my Russian friends. It was small like you said and meant for bracelets or also necklaces.  Some of the Russian ladies I knew said that their parents would add a few every Easter.  They also said that Lenin's government needed gold and often valued solid gold jewelry over jewels. I don't know how much the price of gold was in 1960 but I was baptized into the Orthodox church in1967 and I remember my baptismal cross which is large and probably close to the same weight cost 35.00.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 05:57:30 PM »
Thank you for your response!  In terms of value, I wasn't thinking so much of the weight, as I was of it being an (authentic?) Faberge item, the products of which were appreciated even in the 1960's.  Of course there are many variables in this instance:  How much did the dealer pay for it,  his mark-up,  the location (geographical market), the appreciation/knowledge level of his buying public, etc..   I still think you were not "hurt" in passing it up, for whatever reason.  But, cheer up:  Faberge is still available, perhaps at a more SLIGHTLY elevated price!!       Best regards,  AP

Offline ppatane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 08:30:09 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance, one thing for sure, we can never go back!