Author Topic: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?  (Read 157040 times)

Offline Lemma

• View Profile
    • SIS
Re: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2005, 06:13:53 AM »

Besides, the people's problem was with Nicholas...  

Wasn't the 'people's problem' with 'The German Woman' and lack of bread?

Rasputin was a weapon to get at her, which would probably not have been to hand if it were not for Alexei's condition, but almost certainly another weapon would have been used.

The 'what ifs' are always very tempting, but if N&A were the sort of people who could put familiy before Empire, then the Empire was always going to fall, even without the problems of Alexei.

And that's quite important for history.    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lemma »
Rem Tene Verba Sequentor

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2005, 07:25:37 PM »
Wasn't the 'people's problem' with 'The German Woman' and lack of bread?  

Yes, but wasn't Nicholas the one consumed by the war and therefore couldn't govern properly? The shortage of bread didn't just come out of no where, and it was because Nicholas was at the front that Alexandra was put in charge in his place, worsening the situation. Plus, it was under his rule that they lost the Russo-Japanese war in 1903-04, about 80% of his subjects lived in poverty, and the occurrence of Bloody Sunday outside the Winter Palace.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Maria_Romanov_fan

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2005, 09:07:25 PM »

How so? Having another heir younger than Alexei would not have in any way, shape or form, stopped a revolution from occurring, particularly if the child had hemophilia. Even with another male, Alexei would still be the senior heir to the throne. He would have been especially looked after and just as important for that reason. They would have undoubtedly still summoned Rasputin even with another boy, and since they loved their children very much, they would have done it for him too (Alexei), not just for the dynasty. Besides, the people's problem was with Nicholas, not Alexei. The presence of Rasputin just fueled a burning fire further.

Lol, sorry Ortino, I just want to get people thinking...
I guess it worked!
Well, one life could change history and the world.
Not to be religious, but for example, Jesus. Or Buddah. One life can do so much...

Offline La_Mashka

• Boyar
  • Kukla
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2005, 12:58:34 PM »
Hi there!

I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen pictures of the Empress being pregnant...

I have never seen any!

thanks!
Tishie mushi kot na krushie

bluetoria

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2005, 01:27:13 PM »
I would think she would conceal it. There is a picture of Princess Alice at Bertie's wedding & she is all draped in huge rugs...I guess they thought it was unseemly to be seen, still more so be photographed when in a 'delicate condition'!

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2005, 02:08:25 PM »
visibly being pregnant
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lisa »

Maria_Romanov_fan

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2005, 02:14:02 PM »
Wouldn't it be hard (plus very uncomfortable) to wear a corset when you are pregnant!?  :P

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »
I don't think they did once the baby was very far along, or they must have loosened it extensively. Women didn't go out in public anyway as the time to have the baby approached and when the stomach protruded noticeably. They stayed at home.

Offline Shvibzik

• Graf
  • Bling it on
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2005, 02:37:14 PM »
Yes, but it would be hard to wear a corset anyway! lol!  :P
I don't  even know if they wore them while they were pregnant...but then again, you never know with royalty!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2005, 03:38:05 PM »
I think they had special corsets for pregnancy.  But back in that era they didn't do any crazy tight-lacing anyway so it's not like it was uncomfortable.

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
  • http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics!
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2005, 03:40:57 PM »
visibly being pregnant

Is that Miechen in the pic too?

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2005, 04:10:59 PM »
I believe it is Miechen; Alexandra looks awfully young in this picture!  Anyone know what child she was pregnant with?  Perhaps Anastasia?

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2005, 04:32:10 PM »
I believe it is Miechen; Alexandra looks awfully young in this picture!  Anyone know what child she was pregnant with?  Perhaps Anastasia?

No, I really don't think so. Alix looked considerably older after she had Anastasia. She looks much too young here. The "hump" on her backside (:P) looks like a bustle, which were popular in the late 1800's. I'm going with either Olga or Tatiana, although my money is really on Olga. Nicholas looks very young too.

Are you sure that she's even pregnant in that picture? The woman behind Nicholas looks just as large as Alexandra. The fact that they had so many layers under those dresses, she appears to have a bustle, and her coat is very close fitting gives the appearance of extra weight.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2005, 05:22:58 PM »
Hi La_ Maska,

There is one picture of Alix being pregnant, with Tatiana I think. It's taken in the Mauve Room, Alix is sitting in the big chair with Nicholas besides her on the armrest. There you can see she's definitely with child, she looks fuller in the face, as some women do during pregnancy.

This picture must be somewhere here on the board, can't find it tho. I'm sorry I can't posts pictures maybe there's someone who know's which picture I mean and post it.

Anna
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2005, 09:30:10 PM »
I think she is pregnant in that photo. When Alexandra was in the first years of her marriage, she was quite thin. Even with all the layers of the skirts, the waistlines were still quite tight. And the pic posted above shows Alexandra's waist to be a lot thicker. Judging from the youthfulness of her face, and the fashion of her clothing, I'd bet that she was carrying either Olga or Tatiana. JMHO.