Author Topic: Personal Attributes of Nicholas II  (Read 208262 times)

Offline Jay

• View Profile
Re: Personal Attributes of Nicholas II
« Reply #270 on: April 12, 2007, 05:30:20 PM »
I think it's impossible to judge whether or not NII was soft-spoken based on a recording of him shouting to a large gathering of troops... :-\

;) You know, you have a good point. As an Army veteran I know how different sergeants and officers sound when speaking to a formation. Quite a different tone! Since it's the only recording that I've heard of his voice, I may have come to the wrong conclusion. I still say that it isn't quite what I expected though. I wish there were more recordings to hear so we could really come to a decisive opinion as to how he really sounded.  Thanks   :)

Jay

Offline Vaska_Meow

• Eat my litter, Bolshie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2007, 07:52:59 AM »
And then the age and quality of the recording must be borne in mind.
What we have is a lifelong smoker shouting to the troops and being captured on sound equipment that was old-timey when talking pictures came into being.
It would be a miracle if Nicholas sounded anything like that in real life.

I do wish there had been more sound recordings of the family. That would be wonderful.
Vaska is back, and this time...it's personal.

Offline JLDuna

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 27, 2007, 06:08:06 PM »
Wow!! I am sooo very glad that I found this forum! I was amazed at the clarity of this clip. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Offline charley

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2007, 05:56:54 AM »
 I thought you all might like to see it. I saw the actual hair at the N&A Exhibition in Mobile, Al. I was surprised how red it was, actually I think they call it strawberry blond.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2007, 06:54:39 AM »
Most children have much lighter hair than when they become adults. That is perfectly normal.

Offline charley

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2007, 08:31:56 AM »
Most children have much lighter hair than when they become adults. That is perfectly normal.

Yes, but all the redheads I know had red hair as children.

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 27, 2007, 02:36:55 PM »
Ok, I have read several times on this forum that Nicholas and Alexandra, and maybe Nicholas before his marriage used contraception, mainly condoms. How exactly do we know this? What evidence is there? I'm not suggesting that you might be wrong or anything, i'm just generally curious. I've never read anything about it, apart from in Fate of the Romanovs, and that is rather questionable.  It doesn't seem like the sort of thing either of them would talk about or enter in their diaries.

Sorry if this is a silly question.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:40:55 PM by anna11 »

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 27, 2007, 07:01:38 PM »
I believe contraceptives were found among the imperial couple's belongings at the Ipatiev House after their murder. (I'm sorry I don't recall the source at the moment, but I don't think it was FOTR.)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2007, 09:52:47 PM »
Some people believe the condoms didn't belong to Nicholas, that they were put there afterward. Didn't NA share a room with Aleksey, anyway?

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 28, 2007, 12:43:30 AM »
Yes, that was FOTR. I think this has been mentioned several times on the forum... I am not sure if those were theirs or not- it probably isn't provable. We don't know for a fact they did, and I guess the only evidence is FOTR, that is published anyway, and also the fact they had no children after the birth of Alexei in 1904, perhaps... at least, several times on the forum, that has been raised as a point. No, it isn't mentioned in their diaries, I think not all or many of Alexandra's survive, but it doesn't seem the kind of thing they would mention. I guess there is no evidence apart from Fate of the Romanovs, and the likelihood that they might have given there were no children born after Alexei.

Offline Romanov_Fan19

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 11, 2007, 09:22:59 AM »
If I May  were he and  "Little K" Open about how they felt    was she his fist love  Whatever that means

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2007, 09:48:37 AM »
I think that means she was his first lover, because he's had crushes on other girls before that. So Fate of The Romanovs is the only source about contraception?

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2007, 06:25:29 PM »
I don't remember ever reading about this anywhere else but FOTR... Along with the condoms FOTR also claims that other things were found in N&A's belongings - very strange things like "pubic wigs" (?? I have no idea what that means ??), so I would take it with a grain of salt unless there is another source to back this information up... Not that it would be impossible that N & A used condoms, it's just that unless there is a reliable source that says so, I wouldn't put too much faith into it at this point...

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 12, 2007, 12:06:19 AM »
I'm curious since this isn't mentioned anywhere else, what does FOTR cite as a source for this info?

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #284 on: December 12, 2007, 05:50:02 AM »
If I can brielfy interrupt the whine of axes being ground, I suggest that people go to the archive of the lamented newsgroup alt-talk-royalty and search on the words "Nicholas" and "condoms" to find Bob Atchison's information on this matter. I believe some of it was posted here too, way back in 2004 when I was a regular contributor, so a brief search here might also prove of value.

I don't intend sounding snotty to anyone with a genuine interest in this matter, BTW.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.