Author Topic: Re: Imperial skulls  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial skulls
« on: April 13, 2004, 08:04:03 PM »
Is it so macabre, Helen?
I  think most of us have seen the pictures, indeed, Bob actually saw them! So, big deal.  As explained,  reconstruction [by an artist] is exteremely helpful.
Also, "middle of the night" might just be a normal time for some of us.
Working "graveyard" at a  morturary sort of cured me of any "morbid" thoughts. Not that I had any to begin with.
Cheers,
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Adele Chatelain

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 12:41:27 PM »
I am a 'guest' this afternoon!  (I forgot my password....and I'm reading these posts in a hurry)...

Ok.  When I first moved here in 19 72, my first job was working in Neuropathology.  I never, ever worked with anything having to do with medicine before...let alone, well, with ....brains.  In fact, my job was to pick up the brains for research, from the Hospital morgue.  They were in jars and then placed in a brown grocery bag for me to carry back to the lab.  The doctors I worked with had a very goolish sense of humor:  "Hmmmmm, bringing in lunch again, Adele?"....

So....I don't find anything having to do with body, morbid.  In fact, after my Neuropathology experience, I find it fascinating.

I also have an interest in seeing the bones.  

I understand that curiosity, completely.

---Adele

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 01:10:38 PM »
I agree.  After my admittedly brief stint at the mortuary, not much shocks or affects me emotionally.  That was years ago & in a way prepared me for what we have gone trough here in SF.
One could look at remains as relics or just "remains". As cremation has become more common, there is even less to deal with now.
I just wish the "missing children" could be found. End this whole story.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline David_Newell

• Boyar
  • We shall meet again in far, far better place
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 01:13:23 PM »
Oh Robert it will never end just like JFK and Dallas. For my view on this they are not here, they are just bones, they all went somewhere a lot better a long time ago. Or if you are not religous their agony ended.

Joanna Mayer

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 03:08:24 PM »
Regarding the sad state of the skulls...Its always intriguing to confront mortality...I read in Massie's book " The  Romanovs - The Final Chapter" that upon examination of Nicholas' skull someone remarked that there was a mass about the size of a small pair still in his skull - his ossified brain.

Now thats creepy!

Offline Merrique

• Knyaz
  • aka Yekaterina Yevgenievna
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 05:21:34 PM »
I honestly don't think wanting to see the skulls is macabre or morbid.It just seems like a natural curiosity to me.
In today's world death,dying,corpses,skeletons and such has become such a taboo subject.
Most people,myself included,find death and what happens to you after you die very scary.
But i still find it fascinating and I would be interested in seeing the skulls also.
Don't knock on Death's door....ring the doorbell and run. He hates that.:D

Sérgio

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 05:54:59 AM »
To see some photos of the Romanov bones and skulls (and Anna Anderson`s story) go to the site:

http://www.peterkurth.com/ROMANOV%20BONES.htm

Offline Alice

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 06:36:32 AM »
http://www.tzar.orthodoxy.ru/ost/exp/photos.htm

This Russian site has the best photos of the skulls, that I've seen.

Offline Alexa

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 01:38:24 PM »
http://www.tzar.orthodoxy.ru/ost/exp/photos.htm

This Russian site has the best photos of the skulls, that I've seen.

Can anybody who understands Russian translate the last page of this website for us?  It shows busts of three of the girls and all I can understand is "Olga, Tatiana and Anstasia."  I'd love to know if they are recreations using the acutal skulls.  That's what they look like, but since I don't know a word of Russian (except for a few words  in Polish that have the same meaning in Russian) I'm not sure if this is what they actually are.  Any insight would be most appreciated.

Alexa

Just to clarify, I mean Page 11 of the first section.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alexa »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 07:35:29 AM »
Robert, unfortunately I don't think finding the remains of the missing children, nor anything else for that matter, would end this controversy. Perhaps you also heard that earlier this year a scientific paper was published that is rigorously challenging the research that was done to establish the identity of Ekaterinburg bones and contending that they do not belong to the Romanovs? This was not published in some run-of-the mill, 'National Inquirer'- type publication, this is a legitimate respected scientific journal, Annals of Human Biology! And the scientist who did this study is a qualified molecular anthropologist from Stanford University! Yes, this is still going on, ten years after we thought all this was pretty much was figured out, at least the identities of the Tsar, Alexandra and three of the girls. See my post under the topic "New study questions identity of Romanov bones" if you want more info about that. My point here is, nothing will put this to rest, no matter what...

Helen
I just wish the "missing children" could be found. End this whole story.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 09:54:34 AM »
I have just read the abstract of the article. Not really sure I want to pay $25 for the whole thing. Probably would not understand half of it anyway !
I remain convinced that all died, in time something may be found of the remaining "remains".  However nothing will ever convince the diehards and conspiritor theorists.
Cheers,
Robert

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2004, 10:48:01 AM »
I have the full text of the Annals of Human Biology paper if anyone is interested. I read and understood it very well. Makes some pretty valid scientific points, but omits a lot of background info. The researcher/author, who is the Senior Research Scientist of Anthropology Dept at Stanford U, claims he has some new scientific evidence he will be publishing soon that will PROVE without any doubt that the bones buried at St P & P are not those of the Romanovs. I am not sure what their version of the story is, or where they think the real bones are (they are not claiming that the Romanovs survived, Robert, they are saying that these bones are not theirs). I am skeptical, but we shall see if they really publish anything...

Helen

I have just read the abstract of the article. Not really sure I want to pay $25 for the whole thing. Probably would not understand half of it anyway !
 I remain convinced that all died, in time something may be found of the remaining "remains".  However nothing will ever convince the diehards and conspiritor theorists.
Cheers,
Robert

rskkiya

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2004, 08:50:11 AM »
Just a question (and although it might sound goulish thatts not the intention!)
Now that NAOTMAA are 'passion bearers'  bits of their remains will - I think- be distributed to various Russian Orthadox churches for veneration...I am assuming that the skulls will remain more or less intact...will they be placed in a shrine in Moscow?

R

Offline jackie3

• Boyar
  • "...such pig and filth!" - GD Anastasia N.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 03:52:07 AM »

Can anybody who understands Russian translate the last page of this website for us?  It shows busts of three of the girls and all I can understand is "Olga, Tatiana and Anstasia."  I'd love to know if they are recreations using the acutal skulls.  That's what they look like, but since I don't know a word of Russian (except for a few words  in Polish that have the same meaning in Russian) I'm not sure if this is what they actually are.  Any insight would be most appreciated.

Alexa

Just to clarify, I mean Page 11 of the first section.

Thanks!

According to the translation of the webpage via http://www.worldlingo.com/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html it says:
Fig. 11. Plastic reconstructions on the skulls of Olga, Tatiana, Anastasiy.

Personally I still think the missing skull is Anastasia's and the one they are calling Anastasia is really Marie's.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jackie3 »

Offline Alexa

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 09:19:05 AM »

According to the translation of the webpage via http://www.worldlingo.com/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html it says:
Fig. 11. Plastic reconstructions on the skulls of Olga, Tatiana, Anastasiy.

Personally I still think the missing skull is Anastasia's and the one they are calling Anastasia is really Marie's.

Thanks Jackie3.  It's been driving me up a wall to know what it said.

Personally, I think the missing GD is Marie, but I'm open to hearing about why it could be one of the girls over another.

Alexa