Author Topic: Cars in 1916 Petrograd  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Ambreville

• View Profile
Cars in 1916 Petrograd
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »
I'm trying to find out what cars were most commonly used in Petrograd. Since none were readily produced in Russia, they must have been imported. During the war, were ALL cars in Petrograd requisitioned for the military, or did this happen during the revolution in 1918 only? For example, I read there were motorized taxis in Petrograd before the war. What cars did they use? Renault Taxis like in France, or a mix of various foreign brands? If someone could shed some light on this it would help. Thanks!!

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Cars in 1916 Petrograd
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
Russia actually did have some domestic automobile production.  A brand called "Baltic" was made in Russia.  The predominant selling brands by 1916 were Ford, Renault, Vauxhall and the other "middle class" brands of the day. Ford was a major supplier of cars to Russia for WWI. Please see the article on the main site "The Czar Picks a Ford".

There was no requisitioning of cars prior to the Revolution.  I can't tell you what brands were used as Taxis, however.

Offline Ambreville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:29:41 PM »
Russia actually did have some domestic automobile production.  A brand called "Baltic" was made in Russia.  The predominant selling brands by 1916 were Ford, Renault, Vauxhall and the other "middle class" brands of the day. Ford was a major supplier of cars to Russia for WWI. Please see the article on the main site "The Czar Picks a Ford".

There was no requisitioning of cars prior to the Revolution.  I can't tell you what brands were used as Taxis, however.

Thanks, this was very useful. I'll check that article. I didn't think that the Russian-Baltic Car Plant actually manufactured private automobiles that early. Weren't they building trains, bombers, and armored vehicles instead?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:12:52 PM »
The Imperial Garage lists document Russo Baltic cars and trucks as early as 1912

Offline Ambreville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
The Imperial Garage lists document Russo Baltic cars and trucks as early as 1912

I couldn't find the article you mentioned yet, but that's okay. I did find a reference elsewhere for a 1912 Russo-Baltic Type K Tourer, along with a picture. There was another article buried in a book that shows import numbers before the war, with a huge lead from German manufacturers. Looks like Ford took over afterward.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:17:14 AM »
If you read Russian, here's an informative article on taxis in SPb and elsewhere in Russia prior to 1917.

Offline Ambreville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »
That's what I was looking for. I took some doing getting it translated, but I got the gist of it. Thanks! 

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
You missed the "Imperial Garage" section on the main website.  Here is the link, you will see a 1910 Russo Baltic Landau listed as one of the cars serving the Imperial Suite:

http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/impgarage.html

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 10:23:33 AM »
Also take a look to thread Cars. It contains many photos there. I have seen many videos about cars driven during war in Russia.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Ambreville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »
re. the Imperial Garage article -- that's great! You mentioned earlier the article "The Czar Picks a Ford". Is this the same ?

By the way, does anyone know if trains connected all the way to Bukhara from Petrograd or Moscow in late 1916? Based on what little info I could find on the matter, the Trans-Caucasian connected Bukhara to Krasnovodsk. I'm assuming a ferry would link with Astrakhan (or Baku certainly), and from there it would be possible to get a train to Moscow. Can anyone confirm this?

I just saw Nena's post about the cars' thread. Thanks!! I missed that thread entirely.

Offline LaDuchesse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »
Okay, I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, but I was reading Carolly Erickson's 'The Tsarina's Daughter' when it said that Nicholas II thought that cars were a dangerous trend that would be over soon.  I know that the book's fiction, obviously, but I figured it had to have some truth to it in bits.  So does anyone know of Nicholas' opinion on cars, I thought he was rather open to new inventions.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »
Please go to the main APTM website and read my article under the "Imperial Garage" section.
http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/impgarage.html