Author Topic: Olga's crushes: Pavel Voronov, Dmitri Shakh-Bagov, Nikolai, N.P., AKSH, dear S, etc.  (Read 160622 times)

Offline Antonina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • saltkrakan.livejournal
This is the first I'm hearing of Olga having a crush on Sablin. Wasn't he much older than she was?
Not a crush, I think, but she chose him as a favorite friend on "Standart".
...Столетья поплывут из темноты.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
This is the first I'm hearing of Olga having a crush on Sablin. Wasn't he much older than she was?

I don't know the age difference betwen the two, but it was substantial, close to ten years. If one is contemplating a marriage (though no one was)that wouldn't be too great an impediment. But in any case , Antonina is right; their pairing was more a convenient social arrangement than a crush on Olga's part.
Rodney G.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
A 10-year age gap is quite usual for crushes. when I was in my late teens, all my crushes were in their early 30s - mature and sophisticated men (or so I thought), not callow students.

Ann

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
As children, each of the girls had a sailor assigned to watch over them on board the Standart. When they became older, the big pair each had an officer who accompanied them to dinner, picnics, tennis matches, etc. In Olga's case it was Sablin. Tatiana had Rodionov. Naturally they developed a special fondness for these men. In Olga's case it apparently became an infatuation for a time. I don't know whether the little pair ever had their own "special" officers or not. The war put an end to Standard cruises in 1914.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Antonina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • saltkrakan.livejournal
I don't know whether the little pair ever had their own "special" officers or not.

Yes they had! Maria - Vadbolsky, Anastasia - A. V. Saltanov.
Here is the source  https://archive.org/details/MorskieZapiskiVol.VNo.2 - ''Ten years on the Standart".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:53:38 AM by Antonina »

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
Lord I would think the Imp would need two "special" officers  just to keep her from climbing the ship's  rigging lol ! l

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Antonina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • saltkrakan.livejournal
http://saltkrakan.livejournal.com/8782.html?view=41294#t41294
New photos of Mitia (scans by Coroner of the Court)