Author Topic: King George I & Queen Olga (nee Romanov) of Greece Part 1  (Read 208715 times)

David MAc

King George I & Queen Olga (nee Romanov) of Greece Part 1
« on: June 27, 2004, 10:32:57 PM »
Alix,in her diary, records that sometime in late 1916, Queen Olga of Greece (then residing in Russia) made a hysterical scene at Tsarskoe claiming they were all doomed and Russia was on the verge of revolution. What happened toher after the revolution> anyone know.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:07:18 PM by Alixz »

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: King George I & Queen Olga (nee Romanov) of Greece Part 1
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 01:20:45 AM »
Olga was widowed in 1913 when her husband was assassinated. She returned to Russia, residing with her brother and his family. She nursed the wounded during the war just as did other Romanov women. Olga was able to escape the Bolsheviks and eventually return to Greece. She was regent for her son Constantine for a time. I believe she died around 1923.

Offline Anya

• God bless NAOTMAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 02:09:03 PM »
Olga died at the 18th of June, 1926. She was 74...

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 11:43:15 PM »
Alix,in her diary, records that sometime in late 1916, Queen Olga of Greece (then residing in Russia) made a hysterical scene at Tsarskoe claiming they were all doomed and Russia was on the verge of revolution. What happened toher after the revolution> anyone know.

After the Revolution, she joined her Greek family in their exile in Italy. When her grandson Alexander I was on the throne (but the only royal allowed to remain), he suffered a particularly long, painful death due to blood poisoning. They wouldn't let his mother, Sophie, join him, but they did allow Olga (who'd been their Queen for about 50 yrs) to join him at his deathbed. When her son Constantine I was restored to the throne and then re-exiled, she shared this as well. Upon her death, she was at first buried in Italy, but upon the restoration (again!) of the throne, she was laid to rest beside her husband.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 11:47:56 AM »
Olga, another member of the fascinating Konstantinovichi....It must have been terribly hard for Olga, to be exiled both from the land of her birth and from the country of which she had been queen.
I can not imagine what it must have been like for her to be married at 16, to leave home and country and be queen of a foreign land that had already deposed one monarch!  There is that famous story that she left Russia with jewellery worthy of an empress and a trunk full of dolls; that at one important royal function she was discovered hiding and sobbing because she felt out of her depth.
In spite of all this it would seem that she was greatly loved and admired in Greece; that she was the only person permitted to be with Alexander on his deathbed demonstrates that she was still respected in Greece
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:53:17 PM »
Olga is one of my favorite royals, not just Romanovs. I just find her fascinating and learning about her Russian family has made her more so to me. I read once she, and KR, never repudiated their exile brother Nikolai. I was doing some more reading and it seems that in the years after the Revolution (and in between the various restorations/exiles of Greece) she spent a lot of time visiting her sister-in-law Queen Alexandra and nephew George V (she was supposedly his favorite aunt and she called him by little endearments), often when the Dowager Empress was visiting. She also visited her Danish in-laws fairly frequently, as well as trips within France, Italy and Switzerland. I don't know how well off she was, but her son Christopher married a VERY well-off American heiress so he probably helped her. Still, it seems a very nomadic life without a permanent home and she was probably reluctant to put down roots since the Greeks were constantly being recalled. I'm just glad they eventually reburied her next to her beloved husband, much like Dagmar will have happen soon (fingers crossed).

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 11:06:55 PM »
Times 11/13/1920 indicates that she was present at a private view of a sale of Princess Lobanoff's jewels. This sale netted over 1 million Swiss francs (over GBP 40,000 at the time) and included a pearl necklace given by Nicholas I to his daughter GDss Marie. The whole sale netted 533,000 Swiss francs. So if she was able to not only attend, but get a private showing, she must've been better off the many exiles. The article didn't indicate if she bought anything though.

Jim1026

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 05:08:35 PM »
 ???Sometime ago I had a book on the Greek Royal Family written by Prince Michael I think.  It was lost dur-ing a move.  But it also has lots of photos of the Royal
cemetery at Tatoi. Does anyone know where I could find
pictures of the Royal cemetery?  I do not know if the book still exists.

Offline Alexa

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 08:47:03 AM »
If you remember the name of the book, try alibris.com.  The site links into numerous used book stores.  I've found a ton of books that are out of print, or just really hard to find.

Alexa

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 10:25:34 AM »
THE ROYAL HOUSE OF GREECE by Prince Michael of Greece and Alan Palmer,  weidenfeld and Nicolson (London, 1990).

This book can be found here and there, not easily, and usually cvosts quite a bit.  The last time we had a copy it sould for $85.00, but worth every dime.

Prince Michael of Greece just published a few montyhs ago a new book on the Greek Royal family, Elleniki Dynasteia, which is superb and Eurohistory is the only bookstore selling this volume (according to the publishers) in the USA.  I personally fetched 35 copies of the book in Greece during my vacation this June.  I believe we have 4 copies available.  If interested email me at books@eurohistory.com

Art Beeche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
  • http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics!
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 11:45:21 AM »
Does anyone have pics of Olga when she was young? Like before her marriage or her at the time of her wedding?

Jim1026

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 02:08:03 PM »
Why did Queen Olga want her daughter Pss Alexandra (Grand Duchess Paul) translated from Peter and Paul
Cathedral to the Royal cemetery at Tatoi?  I would think she loved her very much, was there any other reason?
I also found it interesting that Pss Alexandra's grave is
beside Queen Olga's.  Pss. Alexandra was coffin was re-
moved from St. Petersburg and reburied in early 1940.
The infant Pss. Olga was who died in the 1880's was buried further down the line instead beside her mother.

Jim1026

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 02:11:23 PM »
Olga was widowed in 1913 when her husband was assassinated. She returned to Russia, residing with her brother and his family. She nursed the wounded during the war just as did other Romanov women. Olga was able to escape the Bolsheviks and eventually return to Greece. She was regent for her son Constantine for a time. I believe she died around 1923.

In my opinion the one thing that saved her from the Bolsheviks was that she was the Queen of the Hellenes.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 09:46:10 PM »
Why did Queen Olga want her daughter Pss Alexandra (Grand Duchess Paul) translated from Peter and Paul
Cathedral to the Royal cemetery at Tatoi?  I would think she loved her very much, was there any other reason?
I also found it interesting that Pss Alexandra's grave is
beside Queen Olga's.  Pss. Alexandra was coffin was re-
moved from St. Petersburg and reburied in early 1940.
The infant Pss. Olga was who died in the 1880's was buried further down the line instead beside her mother.

Maybe because of Paul's 2nd marriage? She may have felt that he would want to be buried next to his 2nd wife and since that was a morganatic match it probably wouldn't have been in one of the Imperial crypts. She then may have wished Alexandra to be 'with family'.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 10:02:41 PM »
Does anyone have pics of Olga when she was young? Like before her marriage or her at the time of her wedding?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:24:09 AM by Svetabel »