The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
April 20, 2014, 04:11:36 AM
458640 Posts in 8879 Topics by 8295 Members
Latest Member: cranewoods
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Greek Royal Family (Moderators: LisaDavidson, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  King George I & Queen Olga (nee Romanov) of Greece Part 1
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] Go Down Print
Author
Locked Topic Topic: King George I & Queen Olga (nee Romanov) of Greece Part 1  (Read 110154 times)
Reply #480
« on: July 22, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 17182

View Profile

She did look good in them as they were inspired by Winterhalter (made by Hartnell) and photos taken by Beaton. However the Queen Mother did not wear a mouning headdress that Olga & Helen did.
Reply #481
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
Mandie, the Gothic Empress Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei Posts: 1967

View Profile WWW

RN - In Europe white for mourning was what medieval queens wore! This was where Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mothers  "white wardrobe" originated from when she made the state visit to France in 1938, following the death of her mother......

i never known that. thank you for the facts Wink

White mourning was also at the funrial of little Princess Elisabeth of Hesse, any reason why did Ernst Ludwig picked white mourning for his daughter?
Reply #482
« on: July 22, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »
kmerov Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I think that it's a bit off-topic, but interesting none the less. There is a thread on royal mourning customs in the "Their World and culture" board.

On another note, does anyone know if the story of Queen Olga taking a trunck full of dolls and playing with them in Greece is true. It sounds a bit made-up.
Reply #483
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »
royal_netherlands Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Yes it's defenitly is! So thats why I posted some pictures and stuff on the royal mourning customs in the ''Their World and Culture'' thread.

The Queen Olga and her dolls story sound indeed a bit made-up, but Prince Michael of Greece told this anecdote in the brilliant documentary ''A Royal Family'' by Marcus Mandal & Anna Lerche. I give you a link towards the trailer of the documentary were you can see Prince Michael telling it himself. So it must be true?

http://www.dr.dk/Salg/DRsales/Programmes/Documentary/Royals/A+Royal+Family.htm
Reply #484
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I think it could be true. Wonder where did the dolls go ?
Reply #485
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »
Ilias_of_John Offline
Graf

View Profile

It is true, and if the dolls survived the wear and tear of the 20th Century and 3 generations of Greek Royal children, they probably were left at Tatoi and hence no lost, stolen or destroyed!

Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.
1 Peter 2:17
Reply #486
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Hmmm I thought they could have been given to her children or grandchildren maybe ?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: