Author Topic: Anastasia Pictures V  (Read 386183 times)

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
Re: Anastasia Pictures V
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »
That's actually someone's art -- though very impressive it is.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2010, 07:41:03 PM »
I thought it was a photograph retouched by a newspaper.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
Yes, i think that too. "Edwardian Airbrush"

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
Re Posts # 119 and 120:  IMO, I would agree. Someone has indeed "worked-over" an existing photograph, or part thereof. The tinkering/retouching is most noticeable in the harsh contrast/definition of the outlines of the hair-bow and the necklace. Entirely "original" art (painting/pastel,etc.) would have left a "softer" profile of those two items.  As noted, the particular illustration copy shown (Post # 117) is from courtesy of the Prussian Picture Archives.    AP.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:06:24 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline voyageroffreedom

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2010, 03:42:11 AM »
I thought it was a portrait based on a formal picture.
I'm free spirit like a butterfly.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2010, 06:43:19 AM »
Re Response #122:  IMO, a competently trained portrait artist would not have left such glaring discrepancies.  It almost reminds one of a "cut-out (background removed)," as demonstrated by the profile/contrast of the hair ribbon. The detail of the facial features, to me. are completely redolent of a photographic image, with bow. pearls, and detail of work on the dress all "gussied-up" with highlights  in an inept fashion.   AP.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:45:23 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »
I thought it was a portrait based on a formal picture.

As did I. I've seen the same portrait labeled as art myself.
I'm not sure how it could be a simple retouching as the number of pearls around her neck is odd and the lace front piece was not so circular in real life.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2010, 01:35:11 PM »
IMO, the "number" of (birthday ?) pearls has nothing to do with the purity of the illustration's supposed original state, rather in this illustration posted here, it's the DEFINITION/depiction of the pearls and bow especially in a black-outlined fashion that would not be present on a competent, unaltered portrait oil/pastel rendering. Thus in summation, I feel that it was/is originally a photo that has been altered in an inept fashion. The clarity of depiction of the facial features/contrast undoubtedly indicate original photographic origin.   Regards,  AP.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:44:56 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2010, 02:49:17 PM »
But the dress looks noticeably different than in the 1913 photos from which it was obviously taken. And, the overall "glossiness" of her face, which would take far more than the elementary "photoshop" skills of Edwardian times, points towards it either being a piece of art, --or-- a modern re-touch job.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:52:44 PM by GrandDuchessAndrea »
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
"Edwardian" (although amazing things were done then, example being photos of Queen Alexandra's face, and I  DO understand that the King died in 1910, as regards the era style) or relatively "modern,"  my impression remains: photo retouch/manipulation, which could be construed as a "type" of art by its practioners, I suppose.  Regards,  AP.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:28:57 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline voyageroffreedom

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2011, 04:34:38 AM »
This also not a picture, but a miniature of Anastasia:

I'm free spirit like a butterfly.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2011, 06:45:26 AM »
Re illustration in Post 121:   IMO, this miniature contains a glaring error.  I don't know the origin of THIS particular illustration (it MAY come from some amateur colorist/"artist"), but the ribband shown has the PRINCIPAL color of the St. Andrew (blue), which grandduchesses were NOT awarded.  I rather gather that it is meant to depict the Order of St. Catherine, to which grandduchesses WERE entitled. The correct ribband was scarlet with the silver edges.  (The Saint Andrew has NO edging. ) Another reason to not trust implicitly in such efforts. It appears to have been obviously cropped/copied from one of the well-known formal photographs. The surrounding frame is interesting.    Regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:02:26 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »
AP, that is exactly why I research and ask the knowledgeable what is correct...because here we see a nice portrait that  is not as good as it could have been because of a mistake. It is unfortunate because red would actually look better imo. I think the artist might have been fooled by the black and white photo. Red can" read " lighter in b/w than one would think  and it may have looked blue to them .

Thanks VOF for posting

AN in Sevastopol 1916

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »

This is a still from a 1916 home video. Someone had colored the video but I can't find that video at the moment.

A zoomed crop of Anastasia.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
Holly, is that movie still  you posted from the film  where they get out of a car? I saw it once on a You tube  video that looks like this . I think Prince Igor is with them. Olga flashes someone with a big smile .About the Imp @Sevastopol 1916 photo:  I scanned that from the private world book. I figure out away to get around the printed dot problem when scanning from books  and so can get them pretty big. As you most likely know, this photo is printed quite small in the book itself .  Photos from that time are among my favourites  as well for all the children...we at least get a glimpse of what would have been.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna