Author Topic: New National Geographic Show - 'Romanovs: The Missing Bodies'  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Sarastasia

• Graf
  • "This is their life... Live it with them."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Did anyone catch The Romanovs: The Missing Bodies last night (Friday, 17/04/09) on National Geographic?? This was a UK showing - not sure when it was/will be aired in the US and other regional NG channels...

If not, I don't think you missed much: it was just a re-hash of their previous programmes with a couple of new clips... Might be worth a look when the repeat comes round though!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:18:15 AM by Alixz »

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
Re: New NG show - 'Romanovs: The Missing Bodies'
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:08:22 AM »
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Sarastasia

• Graf
  • "This is their life... Live it with them."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:19:40 AM »
Yep, that's it!

So if anyone wants to catch it, it looks like it's on on NG UK at midnight ('til 1am) tonight!

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 05:34:31 PM »
Interesting. I hope something will air anytime soon on the Dutch channel og NGC, if only to convince my mom that Anastasia really did not survive...
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:05:18 AM »
I've had no time to get my head round this one yet, as I only transferred it from my VCR the other night. Yes I agree its a re-hash, though the programme does throw up some interesting points. The 1st thing that strikes me is that the crucial piece of evidence "the material" doesn't get a mention, not throughout the 1 hour long show does it feature. In fact there is not a glimmer of any on site archaeology whatsoever, though this is no criticism of NGT. I suppose the programme may benefit from a title change, I would call it Romanovs-The Missing Archaeology.      ...........ooh err.

Hope to post more later - Carisbrooke

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:15:55 AM »
I still do not know why "the fabric evidence" did not find its way into this programme. The only theory I can come up with is that it doesn't comply with the testimony of Yurovsky, but that of Sukhorukov, so it was dropped. Believing Yurovsky at every turn is not a good idea, I know this to my cost, but to conveniently forget evidence just because it gets in the way is too much. I hope this was not the motive for the omission & there are genuine reasons, though to be quite honest I can not think of any.  ...... I'm open to any offers on this one.

Regarding the archaeology I was still no wiser by the end of the show as to, who found what, where, & when. In fact one of the investigators & the narrator made some cutting remarks about the excavation and recording of the find. Now obviously this does not change anything relating to the final outcome, but it has all the ingredients for an interesting conversation when the church come knocking at the door.

All things considered it wasn't a bad effort by NGT, a new programme would have been better. Next time a little more archaeology and transparency please.