Author Topic: Nicholas II - Head of the Romanovs and Family Man  (Read 103593 times)

Offline Vyacheslav N

• Slava Norotov
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas II - Head of the Romanovs and Family Man
« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2007, 10:42:55 AM »
i agree ImperialHighness... about the same degree of love that most parents hold for ALL their children. yet to add a new twist to this interesting post :), i remember reading that Nicky was very found of Mashka due to her ''big saucer eyes'' which reminded him of his mothers. However, i still hold..IMHO, that he may not have had a favourite but liked different things of all of them.  :). Alexei (for amongst other reasons obviously) but he was his only son, Nastya for her fun 'impish' side, Tatiana for her thoughfulness and also he liked Olga for she was like him in ways, and like Alix in others.  all in their own unique way and mannerisms :D. what does everyone else think?

slava
An old black and white photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.

Offline Damie

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2007, 11:57:20 PM »
I would wager a guess for Aleksei. The tsesarevich seemd to be everyone's favorite. (Although Tatiana was Alix's favorite *daughter,* I think one could argue that Aleksei was the empress's favorite child.) I don't know if the tsar favored any one of his daughters over the others, though.

I think you're right and have made a safe wager. There's  no doubt in my mind it was Alexei. He was the pride and joy of both his parents. In fact, Mr. Gilliard observed in one of his diary entries how the Tsarevich was "the center of the affections and hopes of his family." He was everyone's favorite, as you say. 
Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destroyed when you are cruel.

-King Solomon

Offline Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2007, 04:42:49 PM »
the Tsarevich was "the center of the affections and hopes of his family."

Yeh.  They hoped he'd live.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2007, 08:57:18 PM »
In terms of the child most similar to him, I would say Olga. I always thought their character and nature were quite similar. I agree with Vyacheslav N that he loved each of his children equally, enjoying different aspects of their character.  :)

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2007, 11:31:01 AM »
From what I learnt Olga has been his favourite among his daughters.

That doen not mean that he loved her more than his others daughters but spent more time with her for they share some interests.

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2007, 11:44:17 AM »
I know that Ernie was very fond of Nicholas II, but had this been vice-verse?

What about his relationship with his other brothers-in-law? I found that he was not very fond of Henry of Prussia but nowhere I can find an information about his relationship with Louis of Battenberg.

I also do not found any information about his relationship with Olga Alexandrovna first husband Peter of Oldenburg.

Also about his relationship with Xenia's husband I only found information from Sandro.

So I would like to know what he thought about his brothers-in-law, and what about their relationships
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:08:03 PM by Alixz »

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2007, 03:41:48 PM »
The four daughters were quite differents, and i am sure that Nicky loved all the four as well with their qualitys and defaults.

Some writers said that Tatiana was the favorite daughter of both parents, others that Olga was the favorite of Nicky, in the memorys of the girlīs nanny, she said that Maria was the favorite of the emperor.

Their caractheres were very differents, but as father and as mother Nicky and Alix loved their five children equally.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2007, 03:52:50 PM »
The courtiers all seem to have different opinions based on their own observations, so who knows. I doubt anyone ever said to him, "Hey Nick, who's your favorite kid?"

Because of all the conflicting information, I think it's impossible to know:
a) if he had a favorite
b) who it was (if he even had one)

BTW, I also don't think it's so outlandish to imagine he might have favored one of the girls. Some parents do in fact have favorites. If Nicholas II did, he appears to have beensmart enough not to let his feelings of partiality show.

Like Tatianolinshka said, I think Nicholas related to Olga best, because she was old enough that he could, in some ways I believe, relate to her on an adult level. She knew the most about her family's situation when compared to her sibilings, and I imagine they must have discussed stuff relating to that all the time.

Olga may have known more about her family's situation than TMAA, but that doesn't necessarily mean she knew a LOT about it. ;) As sheltered as the children were, it doesn't seem likely to me that Nicholas would have discussed politics with his daughters, even after his abdication.

Actually, I recall reading that Tatiana was in fact the daughter that Nicholas talked with most during the time under house arrest in the AP that he and Alexandra were forbidden by the Provisional Government to speak. However, I don't believe any of the topics they discussed were ever mentioned specifically.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2007, 06:37:21 PM »
I agree completely with Sarushka on this one.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2007, 09:30:09 PM »
Actually, I recall reading that Tatiana was in fact the daughter that Nicholas talked with most during the time under house arrest in the AP that he and Alexandra were forbidden by the Provisional Government to speak.

I'm not reading too clearly today, do you mean Nicholas and Alexandra weren't allowed to speak to each other?  ???

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2007, 11:20:44 PM »
Actually, I recall reading that Tatiana was in fact the daughter that Nicholas talked with most during the time under house arrest in the AP that he and Alexandra were forbidden by the Provisional Government to speak.

I'm not reading too clearly today, do you mean Nicholas and Alexandra weren't allowed to speak to each other?  ???

Exactly. For a week or two at the beginning of their arrest they were kept separate except for meals, and even then they were only allowed to speak Russian.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 18, 2007, 11:59:04 PM »
Yes. This also happened to Louis XVI when he was in his trial. He could not have the slighest connection with his family if a representant of gouvernement was not present to hear him speak. Normal think in Revolutions, mes amis... ::)

RealAnastasia.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2007, 06:57:30 AM »
Who was the favorite daughter of Tsar Nicholas II? From some books I've read, Olga was said to be his favorite daughter, but there were also other books that claimed Maria was Nicholas's most beloved daughter. Some historians implied that either Tatiana (definitely Alexandra's favorite girl, but some books referred her as her parents' favorite daughter) or Anastasia (Nicholas enjoyed her mischevious company) was the favorite daughter of Nicholas II.

Now I am intrigued, which particular books might these be Elizaveta?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline CorisCapnSkip

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2007, 05:39:36 PM »
The four daughters were quite differents, and i am sure that Nicky loved all the four as well with their qualitys and defaults.

I'm thinking he loved whichever one he was with.  As the introduction to Ray Bradbury's The Machineries of Joy says, "This book, dear daughters, with four different kinds of love, for you."

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2007, 08:06:53 AM »
I agree he loved each of them.  I am sure he enjoyed Olga's serious converstations, Tatiana's grace,  Maria's gossip and Anastasia's mischief.  I am sure he scolded Anastasia when she did her pranks  I am sure he would of been chuckling once her back was turned.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.