Author Topic: New Showtime Series About the Tudors  (Read 35476 times)

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
New Showtime Series About the Tudors
« on: April 28, 2009, 02:06:23 AM »
I have locked the thread because it is 43 pages long, so please continue here folks.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: New Showtime Series About the Tudors
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:40:49 AM »
I will post here the link too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQuyL2sugB4
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »
What I want to know is, when is Henry VIII/Jonathan Rhys-Myers going to get fat? Because we all know from the testimony of his portraits that Henry VIII, if he was not already rather pudgy by the time of his marriage to Anne Boleyn, and probably even before that, had grown quite hefty by the time of his marriage to Jane Seymour, as a result of his disastrous fall from his horse in January 1536, which permanently injured one of his legs and prevented him from engaging in proper exercise (such as hunting) for the rest of his life. The same leg eventually developed ulcers, caused him great pain, and probably hastened his death a mere 11 years later, in January 1547, by which time he was demonstrably obese.

What I can't stand about the Showtime series about Henry (which we in our household call The Shmooders) is its patent dishonesty. It does not by any stretch of the imagination give a fair or accurate portrait of Henry VIII, either physically or temperamentally, or much more importantly, in terms of character. Let's face it, the man was a megalomaniac and a monster. He was not sexy by the year 1536, nor was he even remotely empathetic or sympathetic. Showtime can try to create as many "artistic" messages as it wants to, by means of what it perceives to be "sexy" actors and costumes and settings. But the real core of historical drama is lacking, because history itself is lacking in this series. All we have is empty glitz and glamour, as interpreted by demonstrably inferior producers, directors, and screenwriters. I don't care how many dubious awards The Shmooders wins, in my opinion it remains absolute, utter BS.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:38:30 PM by Elisabeth »
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »
Dear Elisabeth,

Utter BS is correct!!!  In fact, pure BS is all it is and ever will be.....
I gave up on any historic accuracy when Margaret went off to Portugal and killed the King - - huh???

As to your first question:  "When is he going to get fat?" .... Probably never!!
Jonathan Rhys-Myers was on America's "Live with Regis & Kelly" last week and they showed a clip of him presenting Anne of Cleves to Mary & Elizabeth.  He was slim and young and looked the same as Episode 1 - 3 years ago....  He only has 7 more years to go, so he probably will die slim & trim & young & verile!!!

Larry

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 06:53:18 AM »
hm, you think they're gonna go on with the series up to elizabeth?

it would be nice to hear their explanation to jane grey, since "margaret" didn't have any children in this movie.

not to mention the queen of scots. wasn't she engaged to edward? how are they gonna write that in the show?
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline boleynfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »
Dear Elisabeth,

Utter BS is correct!!!  In fact, pure BS is all it is and ever will be.....
I gave up on any historic accuracy when Margaret went off to Portugal and killed the King - - huh???

As to your first question:  "When is he going to get fat?" .... Probably never!!
Jonathan Rhys-Myers was on America's "Live with Regis & Kelly" last week and they showed a clip of him presenting Anne of Cleves to Mary & Elizabeth.  He was slim and young and looked the same as Episode 1 - 3 years ago....  He only has 7 more years to go, so he probably will die slim & trim & young & verile!!!

Larry

I didn't make it as far as you did.  I knew we were in for dreck when they killed the "King's Uncle", the ambassador, as the show opened.  The only uncles he could have had would have been the Princes in the Tower, who would have been kings of England before him.

But I am guilty of enjoying it for the eye candy factor.  Fit and trim Henry and Charles and more fun to look at, at least.

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »
Yes, Boleynfan,

I'd forgotten about the beginning and the killing of the uncle.  I did wonder who that was, but then not being that up on all those Plantagenets, I let it slip until I could research it all.  But forgot!!!

I do watch it for the sheer entertainment and stupidity of it, like you.
And, I must say, I thought Catherine of Aragon was handled correctly and the actress was superb playing her...  But now, it's goodbye Aragon and onward to Howard and Parr!!!

Larry

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Carolyn Harris Royal Historian
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 04:50:11 PM »
My view was seeing as Showtime has a young and slender Henry to work with, they should have started the series at the beginning of his reign with his marriage to Catherine of Aragon (I'm sure they would have cast Penelope Cruz as young Catherine!) If they had a first season covering Henry's first marriage, beginning with the loving partnership and then gradually growing apart with the miscarriages and deaths of their babies, Catherine's personal sadness at the divorce (which could have been the subject of the second season, followed by a third season about Anne Boleyn's reign), would have been more believable. In the Showtime series, Henry is unpleasant to Catherine from the first episode, which isn't realistic as they did begin their marriage happily and he did initially accept political advice from her.

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »
Hi,

I agree that the young Henry & Catherine should have been part of this .  It would have made a more balanced portrait of Henry.
But then, when there is such blatant erroneous scenarios (such as the Margaret debacle), then we cannot expect too much more than what we're getting.

Just thank the thespian gods that it isn't taking place in 2702 on the planet Zebulon.  That seems to be where most entertainment today is focussed!!!  Can you say 'Star Trek'......

Larry
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:12:29 PM by Vecchiolarry »

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »
I am now watching the series, finally, I still do not like it for the way it shows history, but it shows a great dramatic series. Though I must say I prefer 'Henry VII and his Six Wive's from the BBC because it is much more correct to history, and gives each of his wives the chance to be developed in their character and shows us what they were. Still I must say I adore the costumes, settings and music used in this series.

And, I have now done my first video using footage of the series.

So, here it is - and Elly, this is the little present I mentioned so I hope you'll like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5Kxo-UXlM
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
Thank you very much is amazing !

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 09:01:47 AM »
Welcome. You told me quite a few times to watch the series, so now I am. I love how Jane Seymour is portrayed - yet sad she had so little airtime.
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 04:04:11 AM »
Jane Seymour-Ophelia Tribute done by me....Finally proud that i finished it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yld3aO_LSe4

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 02:37:52 AM »
i was thoroughly amused to see the episodes where henry is looking for a wife and finds out that marie of guise is marrying... his nephew, james of scotland! for crap's sake, what nephew? according to the show, henry had one sister (margaret) who married charles brandon... i'm sure watchers who are not familiar with the tudor history should be confused about that. sad part is they probably aren't
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 12:41:07 PM »
Hi Ilyala,

Crap indeed!!!  That whole Margaret scenario still has me reeling & boondogaled!!!
First - she's even around in England during all this Catherine of Aragon/Anne Boleyn story.
Second - she's sent off to Portugal to marry a decrepate old king.
Third - she murders the old bugger.
Fourth - she marries Charles Brandon.
Fifth - she dies right after that.

And, now you tell me (I haven't seen Part III yet) that she somehow is responsible for James V .....  How did they get it right that she did give birth to JV but went south (Portugal) to do it???!!!
Those Tudors sure managed some great history, didn't they?

Larry
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:43:16 PM by Vecchiolarry »