Author Topic: New Showtime Series About the Tudors  (Read 35520 times)

Offline Margot

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: New Showtime Series About the Tudors
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 06:39:28 PM »
I have just seen the first episode of the new series! I always knew that the producers would never allow Jonny Rhys -Meyers to done a fat suit and latex fat face make up! It was all too obvious! But a tiny bit of me hoped against hoped! I can not believe Henry is still being portrayed as an impossibly gorgeous, smolderingly yummy love god (You may be able to tell that I am rather smitten with Jonny!) when Henry was in fact a grossly overweight, suspiciously syphilitic man of forty nine 1540 when the new Series Four opens!

Here is Holbein's state portrait painted at the time of the opening of the new series! Please remember that the portrait is no doubt flattering to it's august sitter!

http://www.hans-holbein.org/Portrait-of-Henry-VIII-1540.html

I loathe this show! I tried very hard to overlook some of the more ludicrous distortions such as the ridiculous idea of melding Mary and Margaret and her marrying and murdering the King of Portugal! Which really really infuriated me and proved that this disney-fied miniseries does not even deserve the name of Historical drama IMHO! I do not think I will be able to endure being subjected to anymore of this fictitious rendering of Henry VIII! Considering he is the constant throughout this series I am at a loss that Henry appears ageless! This mini series is almost cartoonish in its vacuous need to choose not to allow the main character to be physically portrayed as he was in reality rather than as a sop to weight watchers and the concept that everyone on television has to be gorgeous otherwise no one will want to watch!

I loathe and despise The Tudors and more especially the producers and the Director for allowing this travesty to be made! It will inevitable pollute and distort the younger generation's ideas of Henry! Personally I think this series should have been called The Tudors - Henry VIII does Dorian Gray! There that's my little soap box rant over!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:42:48 PM by Margot »

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 07:45:56 PM »
Hehe, that's a very eloquent rant!

I guess its only redeeming feature is that it does (or did, in those episodes when Rhys Meyer really corresponded to the young Henry) highlight how ridiculous young (by our modern standards) many powerful people in pre-modern times like the Tudor era were. Especially those who had inherited their power. It's as if David Beckham had not just great economical and cultural power, but also real political clout as a cabinet minister! Or Victoria Beckham was the leader of a major political party! No wonder there were even more silly wars and religious persecutions back then with all those rash, cocky, prejudiced, not yet very wise hotheads running the country!

I think it also does an admirable job of depicting how court life was not at all about philosphical questions of life, death, pride, love and honour as you might think from one of Shakespeare's historical dramas, but a really mafia-like vying for power, influence and money. Again: Vain celebritydom meets the Labour party and the corporate world!

Offline Margot

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
I see you point about the question of inheriting power at eighteen and the pros and cons of such a system FP, but from what I remember of my History classes at Prep school and before the government of day decided to turn the teaching of History upside down and make it 'earnest' and self consciously 'relevant' with a Social economic emphasis on the period 1702 to 1945, in the mid eighties, we most certainly did learn that the courts of the Tudor Monarchs were no Shakespearean play ground but more a battle ground of intrigue and ambition! In this, The Tudors does I conceded portray the court of Henry as it probably was! Actually I think from 1540 onwards it was probably the most dangerous place to be employed in the whole of Western Europe! Talk about occupational hazards!

Nevertheless,  I still cannot abide the portrayal of Henry as is! It is utterly contemptible IMHO and demonstrates that the producers feel that the audience evidently would not like to see Henry as he really appeared, as it would be too unpalatable and spoil the appeal of the series! I wish people would boycott this show just to show that we are not that vacuous and unable to sit through 'good' television with characters that are not chocolate boxy photogenic good looking! And to think the producers felt that an audience would not be able to cope with two characters called Mary, hence the morphing of Margaret and Mary into Margaret who married Charles Brandon after murdering her old first husband the King of Portugal! The producers must have thought the audience would have found two Marys too taxing on their gnat like attention spans and intelligence! Pffffft! IMHO! I guess they have shot themselves in the foot though if they are really going to make this into a Tudors series all the way to 1603! How will they explain the cousinship between Mary Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I if they do! Now that would take some chicanery and artistic license to achieve! Anyway enough as my eye is beginning to twitch which means I might need a valium soon if I do not stop!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:24:54 PM by Margot »

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »
And to think the producers felt that an audience would not be able to cope with two characters called Mary, hence the morphing of Margaret and Mary into Margaret who married Charles Brandon after murdering her old first husband the King of Portugal! The producers must have thought the audience would have found two Marys too taxing on their gnat like attention spans and intelligence! Pffffft!

I agree, it's strange. Hercule Poirot is still popular (at least in here in Norway) and his mysteries are way more complicated. And I guess that goes for many crime/detective/forensic shows and even soaps. Heck, even "Desperate Housewives" leaves me dumbfounded and yearning for a genealogy chart sometimes!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:37:21 PM by Fyodor Petrovich »

Offline Margot

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »
I am so glad you understand my point FP! I also found the morphing of Louis XII into the King of Portugal absurd too! I suppose the producers also decided that it's target audience simply wouldn't be able to comprehend or cope with the idea of two Kings of France in this series! Grrrrrr! It is so irritating!

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 01:39:06 AM »
It always reminds me of the movie "The Madness of King George"- the title being different to that of Alan Bennett's original play ("The Madness of George III") - because it was felt that American audiences might think it was a sequel !!! Cannot watch the Tudors......would put my foot through the telly.
 Saying that though, that it has "turned on " a couple of my mates to the joys of history, Tudor period in particular, all because they could not believe that some bloke would chop off his queens head. They thought THAT was fiction.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 07:57:17 AM »
If they are going to go up to 1603, my fear is that they will just insert Mary Queen of Scots like they've inserted James King of Scotland (mentioned in the scene where Henry was looking for his wife and "bumped" into Mary of Guise) - as "Elizabeth's Cousin" (Like James was Henry's "Nephew") without any other reference. And my fear is that the audiences that will not know the truth (for whom the whole Margaret/Mary debacle was made) will not even stop to wonder "Wait... what nephew? What cousin?"
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 12:51:47 AM »
Never posted at the Tudor section but since I  watched finally till the end the new and last series I have something to say. I always love the European history, England and France are my special faves. I sat to watch the Tudors just to remind myself my teen's curiosity about that maniac Henry...What can I say? Jonathan is too cute to play that maniac)))

The costumes are best. The actors are worse. The screenplay is awful. The most disturbing personage for me is Charles Suffolk aka Henry Cavill...I was beginning to yawn when he appeared at the screen. Absolutely bleak personality he plays, and in real life Suffolk was much more interesting person I believe.

The actress whom I really liked was Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn, other actresses who played Anne in many movies are not so interesting.

All in all, the series are dissapointing in historical accuracy but costumes...wow, great!

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
I agree, Svetabel, costumes are great.

Natalie Dormer did a great job as Anne Boleyn. But I also admired the work of Joss Stone as Anne of Cleves. She really portrayed a scared girl very well. I always imagined Anne of Cleves as a scared girl in a strange land, afraid of her husband's mood.

Offline RedRedWine

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 09:44:25 AM »
I really loved Jolie Richardson as Catherine Parr, who is my favourite wife. I thought she made her really sympathetic and interesting, and I liked that because I was afraid they were going to shunt her aside (as often happens.) But, they did a lot with that character in her 4 episodes.
And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 04:38:50 PM »
There is nothing i can say against the show :)) For me costumes and everything was perfect, just i did not liked Joss Stone maybe because i saw her before in Nip/Tuck and i just could not imagine her in this role.. and i was right for myself...Catherine Howard was portrated very interesting ... Still i had no idea that in real life she was such spoilt young girl.

And Natalie's performance on Anne,was amazing.Bravo to her :)
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »
Oh, I agree about Catherine Howard (Tamzin Merchant). It's hard to believe she's older than Sarah Bolger (Mary Tudor), who also acts gracefully.

Offline TroubleTwin2

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »
I haven't seen the whole series, but what I did see I enjoyed. Its a great show in my opinion. I only watched the entier first season and parts of the second. Bassically only the Anne Boleyn parts.

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 10:09:49 PM »
Hi,

Here in Canada, we are way behind in this series...  We are just at the timeline where Jane Seymour announces that she is pregnant...
In the episode we see the Countess of Salisbury presented to the King;  and he enquires about her son, Reginald.
Realizing just who this was and her subsequent fate, I suddenly found myself crying out to the TV - "Run, Margaret, run!!".....

Larry

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 10:16:37 PM »
Oh, I cried on Margareth's death :(
Cried on Anne Boleyn's execution too, but not on Jane's death... got sad, but didn't cry ^^