Author Topic: New Showtime Series About the Tudors  (Read 35506 times)

Offline TroubleTwin2

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: New Showtime Series About the Tudors
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 10:48:06 PM »
I didn't cry during Anne's but it was still very emotional and I was also very sad. I like how they did it, especially with the birds and the flashback thing. I don't like Jane so I don't think I would get really all that sad at all.

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 11:08:24 PM »
I think Catherine of Aragón's death was sad, specially that scene she "dreams" with Mary...

Offline TroubleTwin2

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 11:11:13 PM »
I didn't see her's, I'll have to see if I can find it on YouTube. *Warning this next part may be spoilers for some people if you haven't seen the 4th season* I liked how when Henry was getting close to death or whatever and he started seeing his dead wives. My favorite part of it was, no suprise here, but Anne.

Offline RedRedWine

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 03:59:44 AM »
I cried when Katherine died. I didn't cry when Anne died, but I absolutely bawled my eyes out when Jane died. I did like the character, but it was more the way it was done that made it sad.

I also cried in the final episode, when Charles Brandon died until the end. I really liked the cut of Henry saying to him 'you will be healed' and to his death. I thought the final scenes were very emotionally evocative - the way they didn't actually show Henry's death but just flashed a title card over the painting. It made it all the more nostalgic and sad.
And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth

Offline TroubleTwin2

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 11:51:15 AM »
I found Katherine's death on YouTube, I didn't cry (it takes allot for me to cry) , but it was still very emotional especially the part with Henry sitting on the ground reading the letter.   It was weird 'cause the way Henry was sitting, was the same way I was sitting on my couch.

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 08:26:56 AM »
Hi,

Last night, here in Canada, we got to see "The Tudors" execution scene of Thomas Cromwell.
It depicted the grotesque and horrifying botchery of a drunken executioner hacking away at Cromwell and then a guard mercifully finishing the job with a deft one blow.
My question is:
Did this actually happen?  Was this poor man so brutally murdered?
Or is this just another fiction, which this program seems to revel in???
Any insight and historical facts will be welcome...

Thanks,
Larry

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 09:12:36 AM »
Unfortunately,
Cromwell was arrested and imprisoned in the Tower of London. Cromwell was subjected to an Act of Attainder and was kept alive by Henry VIII until his marriage to Anne of Cleves could be annulled.He was executed on Tower Hill on 28 July 1540, the same day that the king went on to marry Catherine Howard..After his execution, Cromwell's head was boiled and then set upon a spike on London Bridge, facing away from the City of London. Edward Hall, a contemporary chronicler, records that Cromwell made a speech on the scaffold, professing to die, "in the traditional faith" and then "so paciently suffered the stroke of the axe, by a ragged Boocherly miser whiche very ungoodly perfourmed the Office". Hall said of Cromwell's downfall.
So infact the axe man did foul it up.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:14:07 AM by Royal Bulgaria »
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 09:39:32 AM »
Yep true... Another popular fact of fiction is that Catherine Howard said "I die a  Queen, But i'd rather die the wife of Culpepper." She never said this, only the Tudors uses this line as her speech - as far as I know -, in the 2003 Miniseries "Henry VIII" she goes running around screaming she does not want to die and the BBC-series "The Six Wives of Henry VIII"  seems to show the most correct version, as this series tries to stay true to history... However, I loved how they did it in The Tudors, even if it's fiction. To me that final episode was the one that made me like Catherine's character in the series...

Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for those facts - horrifying though they are....

The series starting next week begins with Catherine Howard's marriage to Henry.  From what I've seen of her so far, she seems to be portrayed as a 'tart'...
I sympathize more with Anne of Cleves, whom I didn't think was such a homely woman.  I thought she was pretty attractive and handled herself as a 'lady'...
I'm glad she ended up as a "woman of property" - a rarity in 16th century history...  Good for you, Annie!!

Larry

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2010, 07:13:07 AM »
LAst night i saw the episode of the execution of Cromwell. I felt very sorry for him and it was horrible they way he died since the executioner failed in cut his head not only one but many times. He was so wasted!

Also i found Josh stone as Anne of Cleeves awesome and i also felt very sorry for her in special when she was informed of the nulity of her marriage with Henry.

About Catherine....im glad she will be also executed...i didnt like her at all

Im looking forward to see the new episode next Thursday!!!

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2010, 07:42:30 AM »
Well... I did not like Catherine either, right up to her final episode. It was so sad to see - though not as strong as Anne's death -, a pity she could not have shown more dignity as Queen.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2010, 07:47:32 AM »
I see you have seen more episodes than me. Tell, me, please!! how much i have to wait to see Catherine`s death?

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »
Catherine's death is in Season 4 Epissode 5 :) And it's the whole end...
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
Well, Katenka quite a few episodes it seems... But season 4 is great. I found season 3 not that great, the only good moment was Jan's death, that was the one moment I felt a strong sadness, but further on I thought that Anne of Cleves was a bit rushed and I didn't know what to think about miss Howard. Season 4 is great because of the intrigue surrounding Catherine and her lovelife, her downfall - a pity though that Lady Rochford's final words are altered, like Catherine's(would have loved to hear Jane admit she lied about George and Anne) -, Henry's final marriage with Catherine Parr - played by Joelly Richardson, whom I loved as Marie Antoinette in "The Affair of the Necklace" - and the eventual final episode which was such a great final.... But enough spoilering.

Here's some of my latest fan-vidding:

Jane Seymour - Follow The Sun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytYfeVQrwt0
Catherine Howard - The Hill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDmr0xUfu1U

Don't watch the Catherine-video if you don't want spoilers... It has a little 'historical' surprise too.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
I think im gonna have to wait a lot then =(. Thank you both!