Author Topic: The Orlov family  (Read 9137 times)

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
The Orlov family
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:34:47 PM »
Could someone please tell me what happened to the Orlov family? Are any desendants alive today ? I know that some of them left on the Marlborough with M F.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
Re: The Orlov family
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »
Prince Nicholas Orlov who left Russia in the entourage of the Dowager Empress in 1919 died in the USA (circa 1960) and was survived by 2 daughters by his first marriage to Princess Nadejda of Russia.With his death the Princely branch of the Orlov family became extinct.
Princess Olga nee Princess Belosselsky-Belozersky(who had divorced her husband Prince Vladimir in 1917) died in Paris in 1923.
Prince Vladimir who had left Russia and settled with his new wife (nee Countess Elisabeth Luders Weymarn)on the family estate Lamorlaye outside Paris died in 1927.

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »
Thank you for your response, how very sad that this once great Russian family has died out completely. Princess Olga was a very striking and  elegant woman, and was regarded by everyone as being very "smart', and had great presence.
I always thought it was strange that she was a lady in waiting to the Empress, as compared to the other ladies in the suite, who were quite frumpy and old fashioned, she was so different looking in many ways.
There is a famous portrait of her dressed all in black sitting in her drawing room, which shows how strikingly elegant she was. I cannot recall the artist. 

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
Princess Olgas portrait was by Valentin Serov and with another of his pictures of the exqusite Princess Zenaida Youssoupoff is now in the Russian museum,St Petersburg.
The graceful,elegant Princess Olga seemed to have led a rather spirited life.

Offline burlion

• View Profile
Re: Miss Orlov-Denisov
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:44:55 AM »
Is somebody can tell me who was miss Orlov denisov painted by fx Winterhalter C.1860 ?

Thank's a lot.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Orlov-Denisov
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:50:58 AM »
Is somebody can tell me who was miss Orlov denisov painted by fx Winterhalter C.1860 ?

Thank's a lot.
The Orlov-Denisoffs were Counts who were descended from one of 5 brothers who had risen to prominence because they had aided Catherine the great in the 1762 coup.Gregory the eldest was the great Catherines lover and fathered her son the 1st Count Bobrinsky.