Author Topic: Palace of GD Mikhail Mikhailovitch,2nd son of GD Mikhail N.  (Read 13638 times)

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Talking about the Mikhailovichi, where did GD Mikhail used to live?

Offline xirbis

• View Profile
Re: Palace of GD Mikhail Mikhailovitch,2nd son of GD Mikhail N.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 09:54:19 AM »
Gleb, which GD Michael are you talking about?
if you mean GD Michael Michailovich, the eldest of the Michailovichis (i believe), then as far as i remember, a gorgeous palace was built for him on the Admiralteiiskaia Embankment by an architect Messmaher - i think it was in mid-1880s or around that time. GD Michael Michailovich, however, did not have a chance of enjoing long comfortable stay there. He married Sophia Merenberg, a granddaughter of A.S. Pushkin, the great Russian poet. (I believe she was his granddaughter). She was a countess but that was not concidered equal to the title of a member of a royal house...a sad story, indeed - the marriage was not recognised (by Alexander III?) and the couple had to leave Russia forever. They settled in England where they were given the titles of Count and Countess de Torby. Or, may be, it was Earl and Countess de Torby, if it was an English title. Well, actually, i am not sure if they were given the title(by Queen Victoria?) or they obtained one. I believe, their descendants still live in the UK.
But now back to the palace. The building is charming. I do not remember the exact address on the Admiralteiskaija Naberezhnaija (Embankment), but if you have a look (it is quite a short embankment), you will spot this palace-like structure. After GD Michael Michailovich left Russia, his Palace was used to accomodate the Embassy of the Kingdom of Siam (Thailand). Siam never lost her independence, never was a colony or a protectorat (unlike other territories in South-East Asia) and, therefore, mantained her own diplomatic structures abroad. The relationships between Russia and Siam were quite cordial. The Siamese Embassy (former GD Michael's Palace) was undoubtedly one of the most luxurious Embassy buildings in St.Petersburg. I do not know though, if the palace was given to the Siamese as a gift, or they bought it, or they rented it, or just were allowed to use it.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 12:48:37 PM »
Gleb, which GD Michael are you talking about?
if you mean GD Michael Michailovich, the eldest of the Michailovichis (i believe), then as far as i remember, a gorgeous palace was built for him on the Admiralteiiskaia Embankment by an architect Messmaher - i think it was in mid-1880s or around that time. GD Michael Michailovich, however, did not have a chance of enjoing long comfortable stay there. He married Sophia Merenberg, a granddaughter of A.S. Pushkin, the great Russian poet. (I believe she was his granddaughter). She was a countess but that was not concidered equal to the title of a member of a royal house...a sad story, indeed - the marriage was not recognised (by Alexander III?) and the couple had to leave Russia forever. They settled in England where they were given the titles of Count and Countess de Torby. Or, may be, it was Earl and Countess de Torby, if it was an English title. Well, actually, i am not sure if they were given the title(by Queen Victoria?) or they obtained one. I believe, their descendants still live in the UK.
But now back to the palace. The building is charming. I do not remember the exact address on the Admiralteiskaija Naberezhnaija (Embankment), but if you have a look (it is quite a short embankment), you will spot this palace-like structure. After GD Michael Michailovich left Russia, his Palace was used to accomodate the Embassy of the Kingdom of Siam (Thailand). Siam never lost her independence, never was a colony or a protectorat (unlike other territories in South-East Asia) and, therefore, mantained her own diplomatic structures abroad. The relationships between Russia and Siam were quite cordial. The Siamese Embassy (former GD Michael's Palace) was undoubtedly one of the most luxurious Embassy buildings in St.Petersburg. I do not know though, if the palace was given to the Siamese as a gift, or they bought it, or they rented it, or just were allowed to use it.

The palace was built in 1891 ( the exact address is Admiralteiiskaia Embankment 8  ) and sold in 1910.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by svetabel »

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 12:54:23 PM »
But didn't he got married in 1891?

So he was not exiled that year, but after some time, is it so?

Bye

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 01:11:26 PM »
But didn't he got married in 1891?

So he was not exiled that year, but after some time, is it so?

Bye

The palace was finished in 1891 and GD Mikhail married  the same year. And then the Emperor kicked Mikhail out of Russia  :(

Offline sjwc2

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 08:53:41 AM »
Interestingly enough, the Torby's lived in England in Hampstead Heath. They rented Kenwood, one of Robert Adams great houses (and now open to the public). One of their daughters, Nadja, married the Marquess of Milford Haven, who was the brother of
Earl Mountbatten and nephew of the Tsaritsa Alexandra (as his mother was Victoria of Hesse-Darmstardt).

The title was a title was a Russian title granted by the Tsar on the morganatic marriage. The palace is still there, and is quite out of proportion with the other buildings along the embankment

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 02:30:37 PM »
The title was a Russian title granted by the Tsar on the morganatic marriage.

The title came from the Duchy of Luxembourg. Pushkin's granddaughter Sophia Merenberg was daughter of Prince Nicholas of Nassau. In 1890, a year before Sophia's marriage to GD Mikhail, Sophia's uncle Adolph of Nassau became Duke of Luxembourg, and it was he who, in spite of Alexander III's demand not to recognize the marriage, made her the Countess Torby.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Mike »

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 06:09:18 AM »
residence of Mikhail Mikhailovich (Miche-Miche)

Svetabel wrote:
The palace was built in 1891 ( the exact address is Admiralteiiskaia Embankment 8  ) and sold in 1910.

i don't guess i mentioned it, that's the address for the building in the photo i posted?
"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 11:29:02 AM »
a few more palaces:

residence of Mikhail Mikhailovich (Miche-Miche)

And the same sight but in the early 1900s. The Palace of GD Mikhail Mikhailovich.

The floorplans

The Ground floor

The First floor

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:42:35 PM by Svetabel »

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 04:57:59 AM »
Svetabel,
Another wonderful plan!

One of the sad things about this palace is that Miche-Miche bearly got to live in it.  He no sooner had it built than he was banished for his morganatic marriage to Countess Torby.  I wonder who got the use of the palace after he left for England?

Any info?

BobG

Offline Vassili_Vorontsoff

• Knyaz
  • If I should die,think only this of me...R.Brooke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 12:39:02 PM »
Svetabel,

Thanks for sharing personaly I see things eye to eye with you,our tatstes are perfect...!

Vassili

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »
Svetabel,
  I wonder who got the use of the palace after he left for England?

Any info?

BobG

In 1891-1911 various institutions were housed in the Palace. The insurance company "Russian Lloyd" bought the building in  1911 and reconstructed some rooms.
The Gala Rooms are preserved till now.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 02:25:17 AM »
A modern view of the Hall inside the Palace of GD Mikhail Mikhailovich.

Now the restored rooms of the Palace  are used by many organisations for official receptions and formals, or some concerts.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 02:30:23 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 08:44:09 PM »
The Palace of GD Mikhail Mikhailovich, Admiralty Quay 2 :

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:53:01 PM by Reco »

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 06:48:09 PM »
Reco, Did you take this photograph?  What an interesting ship on the river.....any idea what it is, or what it is used for?

Arleen