Author Topic: Schlossmuseum  (Read 24728 times)

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Schlossmuseum
« on: May 16, 2009, 03:08:13 AM »

In my opinion our roots and culture are worth 60.000 Euro the year. A mere impudence even to THINK about a break down of those museums which count to the city's most traditional institutions.
What is even more ashaming: the Porcelain collection has much less visitors than the Schloss. Nonetheless the mayor seems not be willed to close this museum at all. But the Schloss - with many more people visiting - is being discussed??
Strange to me. I have written to Countess Mountbatten of Burma and got a very warm and friendly reply. She, too, feels the shame and such a ridiculous closure having known the Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and his passion and love for arts and culture well enough.

The newly founded citizens' action group still fights and more than 5000 people have sigend the petition by now
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Schlossmuseum
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:23:29 AM »
Hi Thomas,  The other thread indeed was not the right place to discuss the future of the Schloss Museum and Porcelain Museum in Darmstadt, as Svetabel rightly pointed out, so I'm glad you, as someone working part time at these museums, have started this new thread.

It surprised me too that continuation of the Porcelain Museum was not disputed. The reason may have been that the collection of the Porcelain Museum is well-defined and its accommodation at idyllic Prince George Palace is compact, seems to work for this museum, and is not in need of a facelift. But that's just my guess.  The Schloss, on the other hand, could do with a facelift, and probably will get one, as it seems some of the university facilities now housed in the Schloss will be moved or reorganised in the near future.

This weekend Wolfsgarten Park will be open, I think. I don't know whether your group is allowed to seize the opportunity and actively approach visitors, but I hope you will be able to collect some more signatures there.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 06:36:21 AM »
There is to be a meeting of the "Bürgerinitiative" at 19:30 today (25/05/09) in the Schlossmuseum to discuss the latest developements. All are welcome.
(Sorry for the late input, but I have been on vacation and only found out today)

greetings

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
There is to be a meeting of the "Bürgerinitiative" at 19:30 today (25/05/09) in the Schlossmuseum to discuss the latest developements. All are welcome.
May the evening be a success! And I hope Thomas will post an update for those who are not able to come to this meeting.

It seems local politicans of various political parties have asked the city council to keep the Schloss Museum open as usual during the weekends till the end of this year. And Dr. Engels' group is expected to present an interim report before the end of June. (http://www.echo-online.de/3/template_detail.php3?id=750149&search_text=schlossmuseum)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:53:58 AM by Helen »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »
It seems local politicans of various political parties have asked the city council to keep the Schloss Museum open as usual during the weekends till the end of this year. And Dr. Engels' group is expected to present an interim report before the end of June. (http://www.echo-online.de/3/template_detail.php3?id=750149&search_text=schlossmuseum)

Unfortunately, because the City of Darmstadt effectively left the association which supported and ran the museum (City of Darmstadt, State of Hesse and House of Hesse) they no longer - legally - have any say in the matter. Apparently very little is forthcoming from the other members of the group.

I don't think Thomas was at the meeting so I shall try to précis a little report tomorrow. I am away on business so it may be later.
For the German speakers here the Darmstaedter Echo (Local newspaper) is supposed to be bringing a large report on the subject tomorrow www.echo-online.de .
The citizens' initiative (? Bürgerinitiative ?) has finally created a web site but it is still 'under construction'. www.buergerinitiative-das-schlossmuseum.de

Let's hope this is not too little - too late.

greetings

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »
The other members of the association appear to have disbanded the association months ago, instead of giving their all and launching a fundraising campaign to fill the financial gap.

Unfortunately, because the City of Darmstadt effectively left the association which supported and ran the museum (City of Darmstadt, State of Hesse and House of Hesse) they no longer - legally - have any say in the matter. Apparently very little is forthcoming from the other members of the group.
That's right! But wouldn't the other members of the former association be prepared to work with the city council and museum's executor, if the city council took initiative and showed itself prepared to come to some kind of a transitional arrangement? :-\

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:11:05 AM »
For the German speakers here the Darmstaedter Echo (Local newspaper) is supposed to be bringing a large report on the subject tomorrow.
This is a direct link to the abovementioned report: http://www.echo-online.de/3/static/751359.htm.
Mayor Hoffmann didn't jump at the idea of keeping the museum open at weekends, till the end of this year, but he did state that a solution will be presented before the end of this year and he recommended the establishment of a "Foerderverein" (Friends of the Schloss Museum Association) by the citizens' initiative ("Bürgerinitiative").

I agree with him that such an association is a good idea! ;D
… nowadays many museums have a "Friends of the XXX Museum Foundation" that helps finance a museum. Does the Schloss Museum have such a foundation? If it does …  not, …  you could try and create one …

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »
the schlossmuseum

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »
The following articles from Echo Online give an update on developments:
http://www.echo-online.de/3/template_detail.php3?id=758848&search_text=schlossmuseum  and  http://www.echo-online.de/3/static/758996.htm

Although the Schloss Museum and Porcelain Museum will be liquidated, it seems they will make a new start in the near future after all. Dr. Engels' group drafting a new concept for both museums will not present its report by the end of the month, but only later, in the autumn. There seems to be a good chance the 'new' Schloss Museum will be continued in the same rooms as it is housed now. Moreover, the Hessian Minister of Art and Science has indicated that the Hesse government is prepared to contributre financially to the new museum.

The exhibits will remain at the museums for the time being. The City Council has decided that there will be guided tours during weekends till the end of the year, by advance booking only.

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »
The latest news is that it has been decided that the Schloss Museum and Porcelain Museum will be open two days a week till the end of the year, and there will be guided tours - no advance booking required. (http://www.dafacto.de/artikel/ar/11878/index.html) So things seem to turn out better than expected.

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 04:12:30 PM »
i`m going to spend 2 days in darmstadt, 08-09.09 (sunday,saturdy), i`d like to vist schlossmuseum. is it possible? when i entered the website of the museum it was in german so i could understand almost nothing. i understood that the musem is open like it used to be i e from monday to thursday, then saturday and sunday? are there any guided tours? last yeai ws in darmstadt but it ws on f riday, and the musem was closed.whadvancet is the situation like now? thanks for your info in a

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
Hi Violetta,

the new, agreed, opening times are not shown on the museum's web page. As far as I understand it the Museum is closed throughout July. From August until the end of the year it will be open only on Wednesdays and Saturdays. (This is a slight improvement on just Saturdays and Sundays as it will allow the all important school classes to visit).
Therefore only Saturday the 8th would be good for you. The museum can only be visited as a guided tour. The tours are at 10:00, 11:00 and 12:00 on Saturdays. I will check this, though, as the times may also have changed as a result of the recent 'upheavals'.

greetings

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:39:48 PM »
Hi Violetta,

the new, agreed, opening times are not shown on the museum's web page. As far as I understand it the Museum is closed throughout July. From August until the end of the year it will be open only on Wednesdays and Saturdays. (This is a slight improvement on just Saturdays and Sundays as it will allow the all important school classes to visit).
Therefore only Saturday the 8th would be good for you. The museum can only be visited as a guided tour. The tours are at 10:00, 11:00 and 12:00 on Saturdays. I will check this, though, as the times may also have changed as a result of the recent 'upheavals'.

greetings

thank you so much for your help. i`m really relly grateful

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 05:17:14 AM »
dear friends,what is the situation about  schlossmuseum now? is it closed till the end of march? will it be open after that?what about porcelaine collection?

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 01:53:24 PM »
It is all still in progress - the action group collected almost 10.000 signatures and a comitee is working on a new concept for the house
Meine Kaiserin