Author Topic: Schlossmuseum  (Read 24725 times)

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Schlossmuseum
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »
Good Luck Thomas! It will be a disgrace if they do close such an important and interesting museum. I have no time for these city councils they are full of monkeys.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 03:17:40 AM »

In April there might by some news hopefully.

I have created a facebook group on the museum: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=359083919361&ref=mf
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »

Please help us to keep the Schlossmuseum open!

Sign the new ONLINE PETITION!

http://www.buergerinitiative-das-schlossmuseum.de/?page_id=60
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 05:08:50 PM »
The petition page is in German, as is the rest of the web site for the Citizens' Initiative for the Preservation of the Schlossmuseum in Darmstadt.
For those of you who do not speak/read German below is my (very poor) translation of the web sites Home Page delaration of intent http://www.buergerinitiative-das-schlossmuseum.de/?page_id=2

"For financial reasons - at the end of 2008 - the city of Darmstadt quit their membership in the association which supported and governed the Schlossmuseum. The museum stood on the brink of closure.

A group of citizens from Darmstadt and the surrounding area refused to accept this situation and, on the 26. March 2009, founded the Citizens' Initiative for the Preservation of the Schlossmuseum in Darmstadt.

Without the Schlossmuseum an important aspect of Darmstadts museum culture would be missing : namely the portrayal of the royal history of Darmstadt. Without the museum the Castle would also lose the relationship to its own past.

The Citizens' Initiative for the Preservation of the Schlossmuseum followed attentively, committedly, but also critically, the development of a new conception for the museum and continually appeals to the public for support.

The action group will support and fight for the Schlossmuseum in the coming years and accompany it on its way into the 21. Century.

In the interest of the citizens of Darmstadt, as well as the visitors from near and far, we demand the continuance of the Schlossmuseum, so thatů
* Darmstadts museum landscape remains rich and varied.
* Darmstadts history as a royal residence, civil city, center of Landgraviate and Grand Duchy of Hessen - as well as a center of the European high nobility does not fall into oblivion.
* the unique flair of the exhibition rooms in the Schloss are preserved.
* the many exhibits continue to be presented by the committed guides who are experts in explaining the  history of the collections.
* School classes can use the museum as an extra-curriculum learning place in such a way as to be able to pass on the knowledge of
  Darmstadts history to the next generation.
"

So please do follow Thomas' plea and sign the petition!

Jean Philippe

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »

Please help us to keep the Schlossmuseum open!

Sign the new ONLINE PETITION!

Thank you Thomas, i have just signed the online petition.......i agree the SCHLOSSMUSEUM must be saved for future generations !!

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
Thomas,   how come the museum has not taken the initiative to find corporate sponsorship of the museum, as well as local sponsorship ..  petittions are great but the people signing the petitions are not the ones who are writing the checks to save the museum.  If Darmstadt will no longer fund the museum, then the museum's directors have to look outside the box, and start tapping into local wealthy Germans,  local companies, as well as major corporations to make donations to help support the museum.   You cannot totally depend on the state to save a museum.   The museum needs to establish an endowment to build on ..
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Jean Philippe

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 03:12:10 PM »
hi....
thanks Marlene, i agree 100 % with what you have said adove entirely.

perhaps the supporters of the museum if or when they approach such concerns about sponsorship, will able to say we have a petition with a x number of names agreeing to keep the museum open. they the future sponsors might in turn be more willing to part with the cash than otherwise, seeing that it is a well worth cause given that a x number of people wishes to save the museum from closure.

i do get the impression that they the supporters are in early days as yet with this issue....i might be wrong here tough, but am sure that my friend Thomas will be able to fill you in with more details.......as i have only come across this situation about three weeks ago !!

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 04:54:35 AM »
Unfortunately - as with most things - it is not just a lack of finances which has caused the problem (although that was the excuse given).
The museum was financed and supported by an 'association' comprising the city of Darmstadt, the state of Hesse and the foundation of the royal house of Hesse.
The state of Hesse was basically just the money giver and have no problem continuing to be just that.
The house of Hesse own most of the objects on display (and a many which are not on display). They also have many other ventures besides their involvement in the Darmstadt Schlossmuseum (http://www.prinz-von-hessen.de/de/hausstiftung.htm & http://www.schloss-fasanerie.de/) Theoretically they could remove all the exhibits to the museum in Schloss Fasanerie (Hessen-Kassel line)
The city of Darmstadt is represented by the city's cultural committee which is headed by the very Mayor who wished to close the museum in the first place.
Just to complicate matters even more, the castle which contains the museum is actually owned by the University who have no dealings with the Schlossmuseum 'association'.
Currently the University are performing a much needed renovation of the whole castle and the museum is closed because of this and is taking the opportunity to perform an inventory for the house of Hesse.

The Action Group's task at the moment is to keep the town council and the Mayor aware that they are being monitored and cannot quietly leave the museum closed and forgotten; that they must produce the promised new concept for the museum and reopen it asap!

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 03:52:11 PM »

Good news!!

It seems that the museum will be re-opened! A miracle! Details will follow soon!
Meine Kaiserin

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »

Good news!!

It seems that the museum will be re-opened! A miracle! Details will follow soon!

Thomas,to tell you the truth, when I was about to read your post I WAS ALMOST 100 SURE that you were to announce bad news. unfortuately,i know how it works when it is about money. but miracles DO happen.i`m delighted!!! i was in darmstadt twice but i haven`t had a chance to visit schlossmuseum. now a can.hurra!!!

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 03:56:18 PM »
Good news! The city administration will rejoin the Schlossmuseum supporting administration!!
It seems that it will be re-opened. Still there is much work to do - I'll keep you up-to-date
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 02:46:56 AM »
Good news indeed. I see the Echo-Online wrote that the Buergerinitiative is considering transforming itself into a 'booster club'.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »

Yes but we will have to see whether enough people are willing to participate - and one has to wait for the publication of the new concept for the museum. They want to change specific things. I am not sure if I'd appreciate that....
Meine Kaiserin

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »

Yes but we will have to see whether enough people are willing to participate - and one has to wait for the publication of the new concept for the museum. They want to change specific things. I am not sure if I'd appreciate that....

Thomas could you tell us about "specific things" that they want to change.could you give us more details? I`m genuinely worried about the museum. I do hope I`ll be able to visit it this summer

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 03:16:30 AM »
Of course I will keep you up-to-date! The next assembly is on June 1st - so we have to wait some weeks.
Meine Kaiserin