Author Topic: Re: Anastasia Claimant - Anna Anderson a.k.a Franziska Schanzkowska Part 6  (Read 76001 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia Claimant - Anna Anderson a.k.a Franziska Schanzkowska Part 6
« Reply #285 on: February 29, 2008, 06:17:49 PM »
I think what I was trying to say that those who believed in AA worshiped the family so much that they needed to worship a real survivor. And the "abnormal" part the was lengths they would go to to find a reason to believe.

Those who did not believe wanted to worship the family as unsullied and martyred murder victims.  And the "abnormal" part, again, was the lengths that they would go to in order to do that.

No criticism implied or intended.

Heck, I went through a "worshipful" stage myself years ago.  I think its hard not to.

I think you're onto something.

I've always wondered if some of the folks who actually met AA -- particularly those who'd never met AN -- became supporters simply because they became enamoured of the idea that they'd met a grand duchess.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #286 on: February 29, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »

I've always wondered if some of the folks who actually met AA -- particularly those who'd never met AN -- became supporters simply because they became enamoured of the idea that they'd met a grand duchess.

I does seem that way sometimes, as if maybe their lives are a little less special if she were 'only' FS.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 29, 2008, 08:37:19 PM »

I does seem that way sometimes, as if maybe their lives are a little less special if she were 'only' FS.

Maybe that's why a handful AA-supporters persist even in the face of the DNA results: they want HER to be special, too.

Really, it must have been a thrill to meet her at the height of the case's mystery. Imagine being able to think you *might* have met a princess....
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Puppylove

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 29, 2008, 09:15:36 PM »

Maybe that's why a handful AA-supporters persist even in the face of the DNA results: they want HER to be special, too.

Really, it must have been a thrill to meet her at the height of the case's mystery. Imagine being able to think you *might* have met a princess....

Oh she was special all right. Not necessarily the person I'd handpick to carry on my family's legacy, though. Does anyone know if she left behind any kind of diary? It would have been fascinating if she'd documented her metamorphosis, for those who regard her as a fraud; it would have been heartbreaking if she'd documented her psychological disintigration, for those who believe she was mentally ill. I veer wildly between sympathy and disgust when I attempt to pin down in my own mind who she really was.
"The censor's sword pierces deeply into the heart of free expression." Earl Warren

"...and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #289 on: February 29, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »
A diary admitting to the whole fraud, now that would be a blockbuster find! It would be nice, but I doubt it. I've always said, nobody leaves a paper trial of fraud. Unfortunately, this makes it hard to prove who was involved and how it happened.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 01, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »
You know what I like best about the AA case? Riding the teeter-totter of the mystery. Even though I do have a pretty fixed opinion about her identity, I still like to bounce back and forth between websites like Annie's and Peter Kurth's and let the evidence on both sides tantalize my mind. Call me crazy or superficial, but I don't go too in-depth simply because I enjoy dabbling in the uncertainty.

Even the DNA results don't completely solve the riddle of Anna Anderson. If you do belive the science, you've got to wonder how she pulled it off for so many years. If you don't belive the science...well, let's not go there -- it gets ugly.

Offline halen

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »
Sarushka, you are definetly not crazy. I do like how you used the teeter totter comparison to the AA. Best explanation I  ever heard.

For me it was always the specuatlation and the uncertainity of the AA case. In my hearts of hearts and somewhat intelligent brain matter knew that AA was not ANR...however, again IMHO this case was of the biggest "WHAT IFS" in history and the Romanov lore.

The joys of history!

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,

Offline Puppylove

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »
Good points all! In my opinion there is no ambiguity about who this person was; respecting the intent of Sarushka's thread I'll leave it there. What my little bird brain cannot grasp is why anyone would have wanted this particular individual to be Anastasia. And for those AA supporters (who seem to have gone underground but Annie assures us they haven't!) who fixate on Anastasia's brattiness to explain AA's brattiness, AA's behavior was beyond bratty. Even though Anastasia is beyond caring who pretends to be her, I still feel protective of her memory, as I am of any murdered child's memory.

Jenn
"The censor's sword pierces deeply into the heart of free expression." Earl Warren

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2008, 10:45:10 AM »
No, the AA supporters are still very active wherever they can find audience. They have been on  my forum, the royal forums (until the thread was taken down), and wikipedia discussion from time to time. There is one more issue I want to address here about the original question. Some of you have surmized that the great love for the Romanovs, and Anastasia, may be the reason so many people hold onto AA. This may be, or at some time was, the reason for some, but I can state now, after having talked to them at length on many sites and in private online for four years now that in most cases the most avid AA devotees active today don't even like the Romanovs. In fact, they often belittle those who 'worship' the Romanovs and like to talk about them and their world. Even recently, I had a couple people doing this on my forum and it got very nasty until one person was banned. On the contrary, most of today's AA supporters (I could name 4 or 5 very recognizeable names but I won't) seem to have a very deep hatred and resentment for the family and those who honor and admire them. Perhaps a big part of this is there belief that the royals 'turned their backs' on AA and denied her her name and fortune ::)

Offline Puppylove

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 01, 2008, 10:59:25 AM »
Very interesting, Annie. Just to be clear, I knew nothing about AA before coming to this board. All I know about her, I learned here and at Kurth's site. So it's still very possible to be interested in the Romanovs without caring about AA at all. It took me some time to grasp what Belochka has been saying all along, that Nicholas II and his family exist INDEPENDENTLY from AA. AA merely attached herself (through fraud or mental illness) to their memory like a tick on a dog. Now a tick can  be difficult to remove, but it is never truly part of the dog.

Jenn

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #295 on: March 01, 2008, 11:14:38 PM »
I just have to add one more thing before I go to bed. I have spent today being stalked by an obsessed AA supporter who has been trolling my guestbooks. The IPs show that 16 of the 18 troll comments I got were from the same address, but they all used different names. Some of them were rude, some bizarre, others, almost threatening. I have had to shut both guestbooks down for now. I seriously don't know why this person is so extreme and upset, other than that I dilligently fight the AA myth. Apparently, this person wants AA's myth to go on so badly they cannot stand me or my site. I had to add this because it's another aspect of 'what's the big deal' and the way people sometimes behave because of this legend.

As creepy as it's been, I suppose I should take it as a compliment that they must see my site as some kind of threat to the belief they want to perpetuate. If it were useless, they wouldn't be so aggressive to attack it. Who? I have my suspects, most likely one recently banned from my site. This is, apparently, what the AA story does to some people.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 11:19:58 PM by Annie »

Offline Cody

• "Wherever you are, Iron Maiden's gonna get you."
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 02, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »

Does anyone know if she left behind any kind of diary? It would have been fascinating if she'd documented her metamorphosis, for those who regard her as a fraud; it would have been heartbreaking if she'd documented her psychological disintigration, for those who believe she was mentally ill. I veer wildly between sympathy and disgust when I attempt to pin down in my own mind who she really was.

That would be interesting, if she left behind a diary, but I assume if would have been found by now.  To the best of my knowledge, her husband passed away sometime ago--at least I think he did.  I assume that his house has probably been searched, and someone would have found a diary from AA, if it existed.  On an earlier thread, I said once that I wondered if AA might have been the victim of "role-playing," which means that you act a certain way, because you think you are a particular person, and you act how you think they would have acted.
+ Cody +

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 02, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »
I just have to add one more thing before I go to bed. I have spent today being stalked by an obsessed AA supporter who has been trolling my guestbooks. The IPs show that 16 of the 18 troll comments I got were from the same address, but they all used different names. Some of them were rude, some bizarre, others, almost threatening. I have had to shut both guestbooks down for now. I seriously don't know why this person is so extreme and upset, other than that I dilligently fight the AA myth.

Now that's the sort of thing I just don't get. Why should anyone feel so strongly about AA that they'd want to harass a stranger? That's giving the case a wildly exaggerated level of importance.

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #298 on: March 02, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
I just have to add one more thing before I go to bed. I have spent today being stalked by an obsessed AA supporter who has been trolling my guestbooks. The IPs show that 16 of the 18 troll comments I got were from the same address, but they all used different names. Some of them were rude, some bizarre, others, almost threatening. I have had to shut both guestbooks down for now. I seriously don't know why this person is so extreme and upset, other than that I dilligently fight the AA myth.

Now that's the sort of thing I just don't get. Why should anyone feel so strongly about AA that they'd want to harass a stranger? That's giving the case a wildly exaggerated level of importance.

Quite....
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #299 on: March 02, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »

Quite....

I know there are those who feel that way about me, however, I am not the one talking to myself on a guestbook using 13 different names, and answering back! The person complained I went all over the internet talking about it. Obviously, person is also there, or they would not be aware. The person said I was crazy and obsessed, but, well, you know the story about the kettle! At least I don't troll and harass people in private and make it personal. I do believe if AA/FS could see us now, she'd be very disappointed!

Another issue on the subject of 'big deal,' I do have a hard time understanding why some people want to hold onto belief in AA so badly, why it means so much to them in their personal lives. Even though she's FS, it's still an interesting story! Like I've said before, there are men who get slapped with paying child support for a kid they don't want for 18 years because of DNA testing, and people put in prison due to DNA testing, yet I have never once heard any of them, though it affects their lives directly, yell foul, switch, or come up with conspiracy theories. Even OJ said the DNA was his but planted, not switched. I just don't get why it's so important to hang onto some faint hope and fantasy that she was AN. Maybe a believer can explain this for us.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 04:12:36 PM by Annie »