Author Topic: Re: Franziska -An Interesting Story on Her own - A Timeline of Her Life #1  (Read 45100 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Franziska -An Interesting Story on Her own - A Timeline of Her Life
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2005, 12:18:29 PM »

I think she NEVER wanted publicity, then when she was forced into it by Clara's efforts she would try to protect others.  

But seriously, if she didn't want publicity and didn't want anyone to know who she was, then why even start throwing hints and then come out and say that she was AN? Which is what she did. She didn't have to you know. You would think she would deny it as much as possible even if someone accused her of being AN, if she wanted to keep it hush hush. But she didn't, she jumped right in and was insisting on that's who she was!
But as you say, Denise, it doesn't matter because she wasn't AN, so then why did she have to change the names of the Tchaikovskis? That's actually a moot point, unless like you said, she a relative of FS who in some way was connected to the IF and had to protect some people... Which would really be getting into the realm of fantasy.

Mgmstl

« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2005, 12:25:39 PM »
It is true that she wanted anonymity, and privacy, according to Kurths book while in Dalldorf.  She was afraid of being killed.

She was also at that time afraid of newspapers or publicity.

If she wasn't actually delusional, then what a grand fraud she perpetrated.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2005, 12:33:44 PM »
It is true that she wanted anonymity, and privacy, according to Kurths book while in Dalldorf.  She was afraid of being killed.
She was also at that time afraid of newspapers or publicity.

This could be consistent with schitzphrenic/paraniod/delusional condition... Very often they feel that someone is after them wanting to kill them... But then why did she start announcing that she was AN to everyone?

If she wasn't actually delusional, then what a grand fraud she perpetrated.

Absolutely! If she was not delusional, she must have been brilliant!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2005, 12:38:10 PM »
Here is a very brief definition of this condition from  General Practice Notebook Medical encyclopedia:

Medical search

Delusions of grandeur are a kind of paranoid delusion particularly associated with manic illness. However, some people hold such a delusion without other manifestations of mania, and without relapsing into the relapsing course typical of manic-depressive illness. In such cases the diagnosis of paranoid state is made.

Diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia (USA criteria)

Characteristic symptoms: Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated):

Delusions - false beliefs strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness: for example, paranoid delusions, or delusions of persecution, for example believing that people are "out to get" you, or the thought that people are doing things when there is no external evidence that such things are taking place.

Delusions of grandeur - for example when you believe that you are very special or have special powers or abilities. An example of a grandiouse delusion is thinking you are a famous rock star.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2005, 12:40:24 PM »
But then why did she start announcing that she was AN to everyone?

At first she merely gave indications to the nurses that one of NII daughters survived, not that she was that daughter.  Then she pointed out her resemblance to the photographs.  

It was after Clara came that CLARA said she was the Grand Duchess, and contacted people.  It seems that had the nurses reported her delusions earlier, nothing would have come of this.  Peter points out in his book that they were loathe to report her delusions to authorities because this was the first way they had gotten her to communicate with them.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2005, 12:45:22 PM »

Just like Grand Duchesses who have already escaped one attempted murder...  8)

(Or like someone acting like a Grand Duchess who has already escaped one murder attempt...)

So are we back to saying that AA may have been AN?  ;)

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2005, 12:57:28 PM »
Who were the other brothers...."

Oh, and, what was the name of the young man who gave Maria her birthday cake ....  and had those private moments/hours...?

Now,  I'm going to be late....

AGRBear

Ivan Skorokhodov had the "romance" with Marie.  He had a brother? I didn't think he did.....wasn't there a thread with the list of guards somewhere? I just searched but couldn't find it...

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2005, 01:07:03 PM »

Or someone acting like AN...

So that could be because she was deliberately acting, or because she was delusional/paranoid. So we still can't tell!  ::)

Offline CuriousOne

• Curiousity is great because it leads to answers
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
For those who want to dig around and get the answer before I do, start with the following:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~polwgw/kujaw.html

look under the words:  Pomerania-Kasubia, Wladyslawowo

We'll be able to find the small village of Bororwihlas once we nail down the general area.

AGRBear

PS  Here is just a sample of the number of names when using "soundex equivalents" [second one down the list given] that show how many ways one name can be spelled, and, type in Schanskowska:

http://surhelp.rootsweb.com/srchall.html

PSS  A Polish site:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~polwgw/polandgen.html

PSS Names of villages:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~polwgw/towns-b.html

Look for something similar to Bororwihlas like Borowiliec or _____ in Pozan' [Posen]

PSSS  Go to Mapquest, tpye in Wladyslawowo, Posen, Poland and you'll get a map of the area.  Finding Bororwihlas didn't work but at least you can see the general area.  I'll keep looking.
http://www.mapquest.com

I used the SOUNDEX that bear suggested.

>>This is a list of names that sound like or are near the spelling of Schanskowska that start with the letter S:
The following is a list of surnames found that are SOUNDEX equivalents of SCHANSKOWSKA (S522).

Yes
No
Surname
Count

SAN AGUSTIN

SAN JOSÉ

SAN SOUCI

SANASAC

SANASACK

SANCHAK

SANCHES

SANCHEZ

SANCHEZ CAMACHO

SANCHEZ CHAVEZ

SANCHEZ CUEVAS

SANCHEZ ECHAVARRIA

SANCHEZ FALCON

SANCHEZ FIGUEROA

SANCHEZ GUALFE

SANCHEZ HERNANDEZ

SANCHEZ INALFE

SANCHEZ MORALES

SANCHEZ NUÑEZ

SANCHEZ RIVERA

SANCHEZ ROMERO

SANCHEZ SANCHEZ

SANCHEZ VALENTIN

SANCHEZ-DE-NAVARRO

SANCHEZ-NUNEZ

SANCIC

SANGUSZKO

SANGUSZKOWICZ-KOSZYRSKI

SANGUSZKOWICZ-KOWELSKI

SANKKOJA

SANSIC

SANSOUCI

SANSOUCIE

SANSOUCY

SANSSOUCI

SANSSOUCIE

SAUNSOCI

SCHANKEWICZ

SCHENHSUSER

SCHIMKUS

SCHOENAICH-C

SCHOENAICH-CAROLATH

SCHOENSIEGEL

SCHÖNAICH-CAROLATH

SCKANGAST

SEMASIK

SENASAC

SENEGOGUE

SENESAC

SENSIG

SHANKES

SHAW_WAW_NAW_SE_GAY

SHEMKUS

SHIMKOIK

SHIMKOS

SHIMKOSKI

SHIMKUS

SHINY_GO_KE

SHONSEK

SIENKOWSKI

SIMACEK

SIMASEK

SIMCIC

SIMCICH

SIMCOCK

SIMCOCKE

SIMCOX

SIMECEK

SIMKUS

SIMSHAUSER

SIMZYK

SINCHUCK

SINCOCK

SINCOSKY

SINCOX

SINGSAAS

SMAGACZ

SMIGOSKI

SMISEK

SNIEGOWSKI

SNIEZAWSKI

SNNECUSKI

SOENICHSEN

SONNICHSEN

SONQUIST

SWANSICK

SWINKOWSKI

SYMICEK

SYNACEK

SZWANKOWSKI

SZYMASZEK

SZYMCZAK

SZYMUSIAK

SÁNCHEZ

Take a look at the Polish forms and set aside the Spanish, and other countries etc..  Example: SZWANKOWSKI

Curious One
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by CuriousOne »

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2005, 02:02:29 PM »

So that could be because she was deliberately acting, or because she was delusional/paranoid. So we still can't tell!  ::)

Ever feel like we are going in circles?   ::)

I wonder sometimes if Manahan, AA's husband, ever learned the truth, or if he died believing he was truly married to a Russian Grand Duchess?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2005, 02:17:58 PM »

Ever feel like we are going in circles?

Hey, what gave you that idea?  ;) ;D

I wonder sometimes if Manahan, AA's husband, ever learned the truth, or if he died believing he was truly married to a Russian Grand Duchess?

Well, frankly (and I know someone is going to accuse me of engaging in character assasination, but heck - I can express an opinion, can't I), I don't think Mr Manahan was playing with a full deck himself. What tips us off a little was the fact that he abducted his wife from a nursing home and took her on, what amounted to a police car chase. The poor woman was already in her eighties and demented, and needed a lot of care he couldn't provide.  Not long after they were caught and she was returned to a nursing home, she caught pneumoia and died, but is it a wonder really...  This is not exactly  "normal" behavior, is it...

P.S. I vaguely remember reading or hearing somewhere, that before he married her, Mr Manahan made AA sign some piece of paper swearing that she was indeed Grand Duchess Anastasia. If this is true, then we can only imagine what Mr Manahan was all about  ::)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2005, 02:26:34 PM »

Well, frankly (and I know someone is going to accuse me of engaging in character assasination, but heck - I can express an opinion, can't I), I don't think Mr Manahan was playing with a full deck himself. What tips us off a little was the fact that he abducted his wife from a nursing home and took her on, what was practically a police car chase. The poor woman was already in her eighties and demented, and needed a lot of care he couldn't provide.  Not long after they were caught and she was returned to a nursing home, she caught pneumoia and died, but is it a wonder really...  This is not exactly  "normal" behavior, is it...

P.S. I vaguely remember reading or hearing somewhere, that before he married her, Mr Manahan made AA sign some piece of paper swearing that she was indeed Grand Duchess Anastasia. If this is true, then we can only imagine what Mr Manahan was all about  ::)

Yes, I always wondered about him, myself, and think he was a tad bit "touched" as they say.  I think, judging by the postscript and things I've read about him, that he was in love with her myth and wanted to attach himself to it in some way.  She needed a caretaker, he needed to be a footnote to history.  

Or am I going to be accused of character assassination now?  :o

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »

Take a look at the Polish forms and set aside the Spanish, and other countries etc..  Example: SZWANKOWSKI

What, no "Sasnovski"?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2005, 02:31:40 PM »

Yes, I always wondered about him, myself, and think he was a tad bit "touched" as they say.  I think, judging by the postscript and things I've read about him, that he was in love with her myth and wanted to attach himself to it in some way.  She needed a caretaker, he needed to be a footnote to history.

I think he was a history professor at the local university, so he had a lot of interest in the subject to begin with. I doubt he would have married her otherwise, especially if that "swear in writing you are Anastasia before I marry you" story is true... I heard that it was a marriage of convenience anyway, as she needed a green card or something like that. Don't quote me on it, but I just remember picking this bit of info somewhere. He was a lot younger than her, something like 15-20 years...

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2005, 02:31:47 PM »
I find it frightening how many names are soundex equivalents to Schanzkowska that are not the remotest bit Pole/Rus/Slavic names.  And how few on the list are actually anything like the names we have been kicking around the past few days.