Author Topic: Re: Franziska -An Interesting Story on Her own - A Timeline of Her Life #2  (Read 43140 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Franziska -An Interesting Story on Her own - A Timeline of Her Life #2
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2005, 10:24:33 AM »
Here are the photos  of some of the members of the Schankowski family from Penny. I thought this would the appropriate thread to post them, but anyone feel free to copy them to other threads as needed.

This is Gertrude Schanzkowsky Ellerik in late middle age:
This is Maria Juliana:

Since we talk about her... this is Harriet von Rathlef:  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Mgmstl

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2005, 10:30:42 AM »
The Fiat Truck is interesting, with no protection on the sides, on a bumpy mining road or a road through the woods a body could easily jump out.

Gertrude Ellerik I see a resemblance in the mouth.

Marie Julianna, I don't see a resemblance at all upon first glance.

Thanks Penny & Helen for these photos!!!!  I can't tell you how much we appreciate this.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2005, 10:49:26 AM »
Thanks Penny and Helen.  I placed the Fiat truck over on one of my threads:

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=lastdays;action=display;num=1106871065;start=25#32

Questions about the buriel in Pig's Meadow.

I thought about placing it under Missing Bodies, too, which is where we probably should go and talk about bodies falling off, etc..
http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=lastdays;action=display;num=1102980672;start=150#170

These photos of FS family do not show me any likeness to FS, however, to be fair,  Gertrude is much older here than the one we have of FS.

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2005, 10:55:43 AM »
Thanks, Bear for transporting the Fiat photo to the right thread. I am going to now take it out of here, since it doesn't really belong....

Here is one more picture that I was missing, of Felix Schankowski (taken some time in the 1950's):

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2005, 10:57:58 AM »
Gertrude Ellerik I see a resemblance in the mouth. Marie Julianna, I don't see a resemblance at all upon first glance.

Michael, a resemblence to whom? AA or FS?  ;)

Thanks Penny & Helen for these photos!!!!  I can't tell you how much we appreciate this.

You're welcome.  :)

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2005, 11:00:11 AM »
There's a photo of Felix too, that seems to have been lost in cyberspace, so I have re-sent it to the very kind soul that is Helen.

I have somewhere the photos taken at the time of the Nazi inquiry, and the one of Gertrude is very like the Felix that I have sent to Helen -- sharp-nosed and fine-featured.  I thought that this Gertrude might be of interest in comparing to photos of AA in old-age.

The photo of Maria Juliana was taken by the court investigator in the late twenties, at the suggestion of the family.  It was their opinion that Maria Juliana and Franziska were very much alike, though MJ was several years younger.

The truck photo was sent by Fiat in answer to a request regarding the sorts of trucks shipped to Russia at the time in question.  I believe that this is a model from the mid-teens.  I have always been under the impression that the truck had stake-bed sides.  Fiat did not sell trucks with sides at this time, so if the truck had them, they were an after-market addition.  I don't know if the impression of sides on the truck is correct or not, though -- or if it's something that I just assumed or picked up subliminally from watching various recreations -- I can't recall actually reading such specifics about the truck.  So, right now, I can't say for sure that there were sides...
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good. -- Henry Rollins

Mgmstl

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2005, 11:02:02 AM »
Well Helen, the resemblence around the mouth is to the photo of FS.  However the photo is not the best, and it is hard to say definitely, BUT it does look as though Gertrude had been through a great deal.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2005, 11:10:07 AM »
To tell the truth, I don't see any resemblence among any of them: Gertrude or Felix or Maria Juliana with AA or FS. I almost can see more resembelence between Gertude and Harriet than with anyone else  ;D. But seriously, it's hard to tell because the pictures are black and white, not of the clearest quality, of varied time periods (which can make the "look" different too) and the subjects are of all different ages and at all different angles. But interesting to see these guys nevertheless. Thanks, Penny for sharing them!

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2005, 11:15:17 AM »
And thank you very much, Helen, for posting them!  ;D

At the very least, we now know who we're talking about...
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2005, 11:17:05 AM »
I'm going to take Penny's remarks about the Fiat truck over the the Final Chapter, Missing Bodies thread, too.

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=lastdays;action=display;num=1102980672;start=150#171

AGRBear

PS  You're welcome Helen...

Mgmstl

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2005, 11:25:49 AM »
Penny I was wondering if sides were an after market addition or if they used wooden ones, or if they used any at all.   Having to navigate some country roads myself I find it difficult to envision them using these mining, logging roads , with a truck full of bodies without any sides on them....these logging and mining roads usually aren't the best.

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2005, 11:30:28 AM »
I think most truck sides at the time were stake-bed sides, weren't they? Or at least, wooden ones.  I have to imagine that there were some sort of sides on the bed, because there was also a couple of guards traveling with the bodies, and I can only imagine trying to keep your balance and stay on the truck in the dark, on those roads, with a lot of shifting cargo...

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2005, 11:38:01 AM »
Not on this particular truck because if you look closely, you'll not see the metal sticking out on the sides of the bed of the truck where 2X4s or 4X4s [wood stakes]  would have been pushed into to hold up the sides.  

AGRBear

PS  You can see the hooks / eyes under the flat bed where a tarp would have been tied down.

PSS  I found two more fiats that were on another thread and placed them on the following page:

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=lastdays;action=display;num=1102980672;start=150#150

We had talked about the trucks on the thread of King and Wilson's book under BOOKs

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2005, 03:40:03 PM »
Okay, let me see if this is right...

AA=Anna Anderson
AN=Anastasia Nikolaievna
FS=?

Who is FS?

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2005, 04:52:43 PM »
Franziska Schanzkowska, a Polish factory worker whose family's mtDNA matched that of AA.