Author Topic: Questions about Alexandra's Name?  (Read 69538 times)

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Alexandra's Name?
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2007, 04:07:49 PM »
I think I read somewhere that nearly all of Queen Victoria's grandchildren were called Victoria or Albert, I think the most of them had it as middle names.

Sixteen granddaughters of QV had "Victoria" among their given names.  Five of them actually used it. :)

Offline Elizaveta

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2007, 01:46:08 PM »
I've always thought it so strange (a bit of coincidence, really!) that Alix was nicknamed Alicky, and she married a man who went by the nickname Nicky. Al-ICKY and N-ICKY. I wonder if anybody in their families made a small joke out of the couple's similar nicknames??  ::)
"I may not be a lion, but I am a lion's cub, and I have a lion's heart"

Elizabeth I

The louder he talked of his honor the faster we counted our spoons.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Noelle Royale

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2007, 06:42:29 PM »
I heard His Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent prinounce it as Sarushka pronounces it like "Ah-leakes" I've pronounced it like that since I was a child.I heard others pronounce it as Alex.

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2007, 12:52:34 AM »
I heard His Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent prinounce it as Sarushka pronounces it like "Ah-leakes" I've pronounced it like that since I was a child.I heard others pronounce it as Alex.
The difference in pronunciation is probably due to different pronunciation rules in German and English, so there may not be just one right way to pronounce her name. Relatives, or most relatives, from the English-speaking world may have pronounced it as "Alex", but people at Darmstadt alsost invariably pronounce it as "Ah-leakes".
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2007, 08:46:27 PM »
Giving the same first name to their children was not only a common thing among Royals. Johan Sebastian Bach shared his first name Johan with every single one of his brothers. And he had many (8 or so if I am not mistaken.) He was probably called Sebastian at home. By the way, while I was living in Italy years ago I had many friends who used two names (out of perhaps 6 or 8) all the time, like Maria-Angela, or Maria-Teresa, Gian-Carlo, Gian-Paolo, etc., never abbreviated, similar to the double-name tradition in the Southern states in the US. There is no reason why a Jim-Boy and a Jim-Bob couldn't survive in the same household as brothers without causing confusion.
Татьяна: Кто ты - мой ангел ли хранитель?

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2007, 06:14:15 AM »
I just remembered something that might be interesting for all those who earlier on this thread were discussing the pronunciation of the name "Alix". In Russia it is common to replace that name with what was indeed her mother's original intention to call her: Alice. But the ironic thing is even though Princess Alice named her daughter Alix because the Germans mispronounced Alice as Aliiice (perhaps Ah-lees), the Russians use a Russianized version of the name "Alisa" and pronounce it Ah-lee-sa. Basically everything that the poor princess Alice was trying to avoid ;D.

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2007, 08:20:03 AM »
I had read that Alix didn't want to be Alexandra.  She had asked for Jelesiveta (sp).  I will certainly have to go find the source for that one.  But it just sticks in my mind.

I can't remember which book I recently read that had this information (I will try to find it this evening), but I read that Alix wanted to be called Ekaterina, but Nicholas wanted Alexandra in honor of the first Nicholas and Alexandra. 

Alixz

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »
You know, it might have been Ekaterina.  I have been looking in all of my books and I know that it has to be somewhere.

Whichever name it turns out to be, the source stated that she didn't want Alexandra.

I just have to find it!

Alixz

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2007, 10:29:19 AM »
Sorry to double post.

I have about 70 books of the Romanovs (I know that some of you have tons more) but I just spent most of the morning trying to find that reference.

Bottom line, I didn't.

I am so glad that jfkhaos also has seen it because I feel as if I have lost my mind.  I know that I read it sometime before I posted in February.  And (strange as it seems) I even remember that it was on a "right hand" page in whatever book I was reading.

jfkhaos - I hope you can find it.  I'll keep trying, too.

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »
Sorry to double post.

I have about 70 books of the Romanovs (I know that some of you have tons more) but I just spent most of the morning trying to find that reference.

Bottom line, I didn't.

I am so glad that jfkhaos also has seen it because I feel as if I have lost my mind.  I know that I read it sometime before I posted in February.  And (strange as it seems) I even remember that it was on a "right hand" page in whatever book I was reading.

jfkhaos - I hope you can find it.  I'll keep trying, too.
I don't doubt that you are right in saying that Alix didn't want to be called Alexandra. In fact, Ekaterina makes perfect sense. It was the just name Jelisaveta that didn't sound right to me since it was the same as her sister's.

Alixz

« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2007, 08:20:14 AM »
I'm sure it must have been Ekaterina.

Actually at the time that I read it I remember thinking that would be just like Alix to want the name of someone "great" not someone as unknown to the world at large as Alexandra Feodorovna the wife of Nicholas I.

Perhaps Jelizaveta was mentioned as well but was unsuitable for the reason that Johnny stated.

I just wish that I could find the source.  I looked for while again last night - but nothing  :(  I was getting cross-eyed.  >:(

I hope that jfkhaso has more luck!

The Romanovs didn't seem to mind a plethora of Maries.  It seems that every family had at least one.  AII's wife and daughter and her daughter.   AIII's wife.  NII's daughter.  Pavel Alexandrovichs's daughter.  Vladiimer's wife.  Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.  I am sure that there are many more.

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2007, 09:02:06 AM »
I didn't find it last night, but it dawned on me in reading your post above that I think the reference to Alix's preference to be called Ekaterina was located in Greg King's book The Court of the Last Tsar: Pomp, Power and Pageantry in the Reign of Nicholas II.  I will look again tonight when I get home, unless someone else has a copy of the book and posts before me.  It would have been located in the section concerning AIII's death and NII and A's wedding, since Alix's conversion to Orthodoxy took place around the time of Alexander III's death. 

Alixz

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2007, 09:12:48 AM »
Jfkhaos,

I don't have that book and haven't read it yet so that isn't where I would have seen it.

I thought that it was in Crankshaw's Shadow of the Winter Palace or in Lincoln's The Romanovs.  But so far as I can see it is not.

I feel as if it is just beyond my reach.  You know how that is?  Its so frustrating!   >:(

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2007, 07:48:46 AM »
From page 329 of Court of the Last Tsar:

"Alix had apparently wished to take the name Catherine on entering the Orthodox Church; the new emperor, however, suggested Alexandra, echoing not only the closest Russian equivalent of Alix, but also evoking the reign of his great-grandfather Nicholas I and his wife, Empress Alexandra."

The source is given as The Times, November 14, 1894.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Alixz

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2007, 08:13:28 AM »
Sarushka!!!

Hugs and kisses and so many many thanks!!  I still don't have that book, but I must have read part of it or a synopsis or even maybe saw something about it on the King/Wilson site!

Now I can stop looking through my books since it is obviously not in them.

You are the best!!!    :-*

Just imagine "Nicholas and Ekaterina"  it doesn't have the same ring, does it?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:14:59 AM by Alixz »