Author Topic: Questions about Alexandra's Name?  (Read 67035 times)

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Questions about Alexandra's Name?
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »
By the way, can somebody confirm that Alexandra was officially baptised "Alix" and not "Alice"? German publications  like to call her Princess Alice, which I find most annoying because it seems known that Grand Duchess Alice had deliberately chosen the name Alix because Germans "murdered" her own name as a result of German pronunciation.

No question. "Alix" and nothing else.

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2008, 10:56:10 AM »
Alix for Alice, and her mother wasn't her aunt.

You are right that the Princess had chosen "Alix" instead of Alice for the Hessian people used to pronounce her name in the German way. But "Alix" was the petname of the baby's aunt Queen Alexandra of Great Britain. So indeed a fifth aunt - though in another way  =)

I recall reading somewhere (it might have been in one of Alice's letters) that Alice had wanted "Alice" as part of the name but the Germans butchered the English "Alice" when they pronounced it and the closest approximation in German was "Alix".  It seems it was implied that the original intent was to name Alix after all the daughters of QV, in order of birth, but "Alice" had to be altered to "Alix" although she would have to be called something besides Victoria since her older sister was already labeled such.
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2008, 01:44:01 PM »
The empress' name was actually Victoria Alix Helena Louise Beatrice. You are correct about the names being for her mother and 4 aunts, although many people switch them around (I did at first). Alix was actually her second name, as well as what she went by. When she converted to the Russian Orthodox Church in 1894, her name became Aleksandra Feodorovna, not because Aleksandra was in fact close to Alix, but at the request of her husband Czar Nicholas II, who wished their names to resemble the first Nicholas and Aleksandra---his great-grandparents Nicholas I and Charlotte of Prussia, who was also Aleksandra Feodorovna.

That's interesting, I did not know that. So even if Alix had gone by "Victoria" she'd still be Alexandra.

Offline Alice

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2008, 08:59:21 PM »
Can someone please explain to me why she became "Alexandra Feodorovna" when she married Nicholas? I ask because, in Germany, she was "Princess Alice of Hesse" . . . and the Russian translation of "Alice" is "Olesia" ("Олеся"), so why did she become "Alexandra"?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2008, 09:12:24 PM »
Oh sure, you see when Alexandra came to Russia and marry Nicky. She first had to be converted to the russian Orthdox fauith and taking a new reiligious name. Alexandera and the Feodorovna comes from her husband name when they were married. I hope that answer your questions.

Offline Alice

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
Ah, yes it does, Halinka. Thank you very much!

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2008, 10:16:19 PM »
I have a quick question. Was Alix pronounced like Alex?
I'm back on my bull****.

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2008, 03:07:04 AM »

No not at all. In an interview Princess Margaret of Hesse and the Rhine pronounced it the French way with an accent on the "i" - in German it there is an accent on the "A".
Meine Kaiserin

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2008, 08:55:15 AM »
I think it depends what language you're speaking. Every name does. My name, in French is pronounced kind of like 'aana' with a long aaaa at the start, but it's still my name.

It's Alex in English, In French it's 'Alix' with the stress on the last syllable. I don't speak German, so I can't say but I imagine it's different there also. They're all correct.

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »
That makes sense. Thanks, that has always bugged me.
I'm back on my bull****.

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »
It also get easier over time as well, I remember I had trouble with it as well.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2008, 07:52:11 PM »
I have a quick question. Was Alix pronounced like Alex?

I've heard it a couple different ways in various English documentaries:

American - AH-licks
British - Ah-LEEKS
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Alixz

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2009, 10:34:13 PM »
Oh sure, you see when Alexandra came to Russia and marry Nicky. She first had to be converted to the Russian Orthodox faith and taking a new religious name. Alexandra and the Feodorovna comes from her husband name when they were married. I hope that answer your questions.

Actually, I read that Alix wanted to be known as Ekaterina Feodorovna.  But as someone else posted, Nicholas wanted her to be called Alexandra so as to have the same names as Nicholas I and his wife Charlotte of Prussia who also changed her name to Alexandra Feodorovna.

The Feodorovna is from a saint's name and when a foreign princess married into the royal house and converted, they were given that patronymic.

Alix as a name didn't have a corresponding saint and so no "name day".

Anyone who is Orthodox please correct me if I am wrong.   ;-)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:27:30 AM by Alixz »

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2009, 07:02:17 AM »
First Romanov was crowned n front of Icon of St. Fyodor. So, female patronymic is Feodorovna.  ;-). For foreign Princesses who married into Romanov House. (including some anomalies, too).
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2009, 07:28:36 AM »
Anomalies like Maria Alexandrovna and Elizaveta Alexeyevna?