Author Topic: Questions about Alexandra's Name?  (Read 69540 times)

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Alexandra's Name?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2005, 10:59:43 AM »
Before her marriage, she was HRH Princess Alix Victoria Helena Louise Beatrice of Hesse-Darmstadt and the Rhine. After she converted (before marriage) she was HIH Grand Duchess Aleksandra Feodorovna of Russia. After, HIM Empress (or Tsarina) Aleksandra Feodorovna Romanova.
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2005, 11:08:26 AM »
(or Tsarina)

Tsaritsa.

Offline TJ Jones

• Boyar
  • I'll never be regular here... *cries*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2005, 01:16:08 PM »

Tsaritsa.

How is that pronounced, like tsar-itsa?
Rule TJ! TJ rules the waves, TJ will never, never, never, eat mayonnaise!

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2005, 01:38:19 PM »
Yes.
Tsar-eetsa
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by moonlight_tsarina »
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2005, 09:57:19 PM »
Please see the Alexandra conversion thread for confirmation of the fact that Alix of Hesse did NOT have to formally renounce her Lutheranism when becoming Orthodox.  It was not a matter of a shortened conversion ceremony, it was her own conscience that demanded that she not renounce her previous belief.  This is confirmed in "A Lifelong Passion," again mentioned in another thread.  This was a concession made to both Alix and Ella, even though Ella converted voluntarily.

Dennis is exactly right. It was important to Alexandra not to renouce her Luthernanism. This was agreed to before she agreed to marry Nicholas, I believe.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

AlexP

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2005, 06:53:17 PM »
Actually, Feodorovna was chosen not for the saint, but for Feodor Romanov, considered the founder of the Romanov dynasty. Taking his name as a patryonomic was a sign of respect and becoming a "daughter" of the House of Romanov by marrying into it. Ella was known as Elizaveta Feodorovna from the day of her marriage.
(according to Bob).

This is absolutely correct.  Absolutely.  I have posted the historical details in another Topic on this subject in a different part of the Forum.  Indeed, it dates back to Feodor I, the last of the Rurikids.

AlexP

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2005, 07:01:23 PM »

Dennis is exactly right. It was important to Alexandra not to renouce her Luthernanism. This was agreed to before she agreed to marry Nicholas, I believe.

Dennis made an allusion to a "shortened conversion ceremony" for the Empress Alexandra.  In the Russian Orthodox Church, under prevailing 19th century canonical practices, Lutherans were NOT subject to a "shortened conversion ceremony".  The Russian Orthodox Church considered the Lutheran Church to be a church in which there was, and still is, apostolic succession (from Christ to the Apostles to the Bishops of Rome to the Bishops of the Lutheran Church who had been consecrated by Roman Catholic bishops).  The order of reception of Lutherans into the Church at that time was relatively simple :  they were confessed on a Saturday night during the Vigil Service, not during the Vespers part of the service, which was still technically Saturday, but during the Matins part of the service, which was considered Sunday.  The Empress would have had to fast from that time on until she received communion on Sunday morning, at approximately 10:30 a.m.  The only marked difference, however, is that when the Empress received Communion the choir would not have sung the usual hymn for Communion (Receive the Body of Christ) but a special hymn for those newly-received, converted, etc. (As Many As Who Have Been Baptized Into Christ Have Put on Christ).

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2005, 06:21:25 PM »
Is it true that Princess Alice named Aleksandra this because Alice said the Germans always murdered her name, and she gave her daughter an easy one that couldn't be mispronounced?

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2005, 07:53:23 PM »
I heard this too from a pretty reliable source. I could be wrong, though, and mixing my sources up. But I think you're right.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2005, 12:54:46 AM »
From a letter written by Princess Alice to Queen Victoria, quoted in Greg King's Last Empress:
'Alix' we gave for 'Alice' as they murder my name here: 'Aliice' they pronounce it, so we thought 'Alix' could not be so easliy spoilt.

(King found the quote in Buxhoeveden's book, The Life and Tragedy of Alexandra Feodorovna.)

8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2005, 02:55:17 AM »
Yup, that's true.

Alice wanted to name Alexandra after herself, but because German people can't pronounce Alice, she named Alexandra the most similar name phonetically to Alice, Alix.

Though, of course, as per tradition, Alix's real first name was Victoria.  Alix was her second name.
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2005, 08:27:21 AM »
Though, of course, as per tradition, Alix's real first name was Victoria.  Alix was her second name.

Really? I thought her full name was Alix Victoria Helena Louise Beatrice...

I'll look it up   ;)
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2005, 08:51:09 AM »
"Victoria Alix Helena Louise Beatrice"

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2005, 09:08:46 AM »
Well, I'll be danged!  ;D

Those royals -- why use a first name when you've got half a dozen others to choose from??
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »

julia.montague

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2005, 10:44:43 AM »
I read that too and it sounds true, because Germans who can't speak English really pronounce it Aliiice