Author Topic: Olga's poems, prayers, and literary influences  (Read 49282 times)

Janet Whitcomb

Olga's poems, prayers, and literary influences
« on: March 18, 2004, 09:18:20 PM »
Many of us have read the beautiful poem Olga wrote to her mother during their initial months of imprisonment at Tsarkoe Selo.  Since several sources mention that Olga was known for her poetry, has anyone come across any of her other works?

Offline Holishka

• Long Live The Romanovs!
    • View Profile
    • THE ROMANOVS
Re: Olga Nicholievna's Poetry
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 10:26:08 AM »
Livadia.org has many of her poems up.

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 11:21:35 AM »
Hi Holishka--

I just checked, but the website is currently under construction, so perhaps poems by Olga will be posted in the future.  The only poem accessible at this time--at least, as far as I could see--is about OTMA but not written by Olga.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, and I'll check back from time to time!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 02:15:28 PM »
Janet--I've got a few on my Olga site (www.livadia.org/trw) but they're just the two ones I've read in books...the prayer she wrote, and the poem to Alix in 1917. :)

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 03:04:12 PM »
Thank you, Lanie! The poem she gave to her mother seems completely hers. The prayer, however  . . . well, in one book I'll read that Olga composed it herself, but another book will say she simply transcribed it. So I'm not certain of the authorship!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 03:08:13 PM »
In like two books I've seen she transcribed it...but in most I've read it says she wrote it.  I wouldn't be surprised if she wrote the prayer seeing how religious she was and how it seems to me she wrote to get feelings out...like most people who write poetry do!

Offline aligertz

• the Czar be with you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 04:50:36 PM »
Dear Janet Whitcomb :)
  I do believe that as you read Olga's verse carefully you will find a lot in common with Emily Dickinson,-Olga exhibits the same sensibility beyond her years and her
deep-rooted spirituality recalls Miss Dickinson's..
   I do not believe its a stretch to compare the two,their natures were all but alike and neither published anything during their lifetimes.
    The death of the IF meant many losses.One of these was Olga Nicholievna's gifts to Russian Literature.
    Thank goodness some have survived in manuscript!

Take Care :)
aligertz

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 05:11:57 PM »
Hi Aligertz--

I think Olga would certainly be intrigued by Emily Dickinson's poetry!  Though so far I think only the poem we can verify as being Olga's is the one she gave to her mother.

Poetry requires a certain conciseness of thought, and Olga had that. Olga also was able to make metaphorical connections to the seemingly mundane and "think out of the box"--two important qualities found in poets.

I would love to know what sort of poetry influenced Olga, be it Russian, English, French . . . perhaps even American! But I realize that most of the Romanov library holdings were dispersed. Olga did have a copy of a Rostand play that she took into captivity, but beyond that I'm not sure about her personal tastes.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 06:21:26 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Olga read Dickinson! I do know she had books by Tennyson so she must have enjoyed that and I'm sure she read Shakespeare (I for one LOVE Shakespeare's sonnets!).  Lermontov, perhaps Akhmatova who lived in Tsarskoe Selo, etc.  I do know Alexei enjoyed Lermontov--perhaps something he picked up from his eldest sister?

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 09:09:51 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Olga read Dickinson! I do know she had books by Tennyson so she must have enjoyed that and I'm sure she read Shakespeare (I for one LOVE Shakespeare's sonnets!).  Lermontov, perhaps Akhmatova who lived in Tsarskoe Selo, etc.  I do know Alexei enjoyed Lermontov--perhaps something he picked up from his eldest sister?

Yes, i agree! Olga was known for her love of poetry, so i bet she would read anything of the sort that she could get her hands on! lol
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Maria_Romanov_fan

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 09:13:23 PM »
Olga's poems are all very beautiful. I would have like to see her become a poet. But everytime I read some of her poems especially the ones during the family's imprisonment make me feel sad, because I know her fate and She does not...

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 10:28:04 AM »
Olga certainly had the personality of a poet, and the talent. I doubt she would have been the next Emily Dickinson, but I think she would have been/was one of the more literary members of the Imperial family, at least in my opinion. She had a life ahead of her that would have been filled with her contributions to the world...if she had lived it. I think she could have appreciated Emily Dickinsons poems, but although they were published within Olga's lifetime, I doubt Olga had ever heard of her. Anybody with literary inclinations can usually appreciated Emily Dickinson. I speak from experience for I have been a huge Emily Dickinson fan since I was 10, ( a huge romanov fan from the age of 12). Also, I love to write poetry, I have written about 1,000 poems in the last two years. Olga was a poet, yes, she had all the atributes of one. I would know... ;)

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 02:53:14 AM »
Does someone have  the poems that she personally wrote? I don't mean like ones that are dedicated to her or anything just ones that she wrote for enjoyment.

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline reashka

• Knyaz
  • Beautiful in any angle.
    • View Profile
    • Anne Frank Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 05:24:36 AM »
This was Olga's poem for her mother in april 1917 from livadia.org:

You are filled with anguish
For the suffering of others.
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by.
You are relentless
Only toward yourself,
Forever cold and pitiless.
But if only you could look upon
Your own sadness from a distance,
Just once with a loving soul -
Oh, how you would pity yourself,
How sadly you would weep.

Dare not to be indifferent

Offline Historybuff262

• Boyar
  • Our Standart Yla-Yla
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »
That's a pretty poem.  8) Was it first written in English?
Or was it written in French or Russian or maybe even German???
Oct. 30, 1914, p.26
"...We made a fire today and I daubed my face with soot..."

Oct. 31, 1914, p.28
"...I go on studying but I don't get very good marks.."